Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

https://youtu.be/WBtXFEorX50

Peter Fury talks the cancellation, good insight that into what's going on. Can't help but feel that Tyson brought on the alienation in the press himself though.

Someone was throwing around the term "witch hunt". Now I'm sorry if Fury has mental health issues and hope he gets help but it isn't as the result of any witch hunt. He propelled himself into the public conscience and his vile opinions came back to haunt him. That's no witch hunt, that's just karma.

Do we think that Joshua has a chance of beating Wlad? It seems like a massive jump up in quality from who he has been fighting.

I think that's true both ways though. Apart from Fury, Klitschko hasn't fought anyone as good as AJ for years either.

Edited by tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Yeh i imagine the other Light Heavyweight Champions will be chomping at the bit for unification, Kovalev/Ward and Stevenson.

Chuffed for Cleverly though. There's suspicion that Braehmer looked for a way out because Cleverly set a hellacious pace, who knows though. If Cleverly had more pop in his punches he'd be a real handful when he fights like he did last night.

• Paid Members

Tyson Fury on the windup today. Tweeted to say he was retiring saying everyone could suck his dick, media picked it up and it was reported on the news then he sent out a new tweet that it was a windup.

Someone needs to take the mans social media accounts away.

Fury should be praised for decisive victory over Wlad. I like Fury and hope if Joshua and Wlad do fight he comes back and fights the winner and beats them.

Was Fury's win over Wladimir that decisive? I mean, it was a brilliant achievement, especially getting a decision over a Klitschko in Germany. But from what I remember it was a shit fight where neither did much but Tyson did slightly more and it was just good enough to nick the decision. It's not like he schooled Wlad and there'd be no doubt who'd win the rematch.

I give credit to Fury for finding a way to get the job done. It was a huge win, fair play. But I'd love nothing more than to see Joshua obliterate the big gobshite. I'm not saying that would happen but I'd love to see it.

I thought Fury boxed brilliantly in that first fight to be honest, and it'll likely go down as the highlight of his mental career.

I also don't know about the rematch being a gimme, especially if Fury was on his game. Say what you want about him as far as his personality goes, but he's a very clever boxer who knows how to win fights.

• Paid Members

True, he's massively underrated as a fighter. It stems primarily from his persona and his physique, people cant seem to look past that and see that the guy is a legit heavyweight fighter.

Even though the fight itself was a quiet affair, it was still a revelation to see Wlad losing so many rounds, and ultimately the fight. Other than brief moments with Haye and Pulev, it had been quite some time since Wlad had been put through the wringer. Since around 2005, most of Wlad's fight involved him dropping 1 or 2 rounds at the most, but dominating them overall. 

Fury deserves a lot of credit for that win, especially as it was away from home. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

I never said the rematch would be a gimme. No chance. In fact I pictured it going pretty much the same way again. Little action in the rounds with little flurries here or there deciding rounds. In a fight like that it can come down to one or two good punches nicking a guy a round. So it'd be anything but a gimme.

I'd actually love for him to come back specifically to beat Joshua. Seeing his big grinning coupon all over the telly would entertain me no end, especially when the camera would pan to Eddie Hearn crying into his hair gel immediately afterwards.