Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Martin at 4/1 for me is great odds. If you go through both his and Joshua's records, the glass of opponent in terms of quality isn't that big a difference. He's 6'5 and a southpaw, Joshua not faced a southpaw in his pro career till now. I'm not a big fan of PPV fights, but Joshua it can't be denied is absolutely huge business and if he manages to take the IBF title, he goes up into another territory money and fights wise.

To be fair, I should re-phrase my prior statement, in that his fight's IMO aren't PPV worthy bouts (IE For a big title, against major opponents) but more because of the promotion and the way he's been beating people. But then again it's also the argument of make £500 or £1000 you go for the £1000 everytime and so long as people buy into the AJ thing why not make shit load's from it. 

So worth a punt on Martin then? 

This is for the IBF title so it's a pretty big belt on the line, but I know where you are coming from. In his last fight against Whyte they put the hype into overdrive, sold it on being bad blood and the fact Whyte had beaten Joshua in a amateur fight six years previously, based on the PPV figures, it done huge numbers, so even though this fight doesn't have the same drama, history, it's not say the end of a journey, but from the beginning it's been built about Joshua being a world heavyweight champion, this Saturday night he has that opportunity and if he comes through, it will be all about being whether he can be undisputed champion. 

I'd say based on the odds it is, for a one on one fight, looking at the history of both fighters, putting everything together, the odds seem far too one sided, unless the bookies believe Martin is cashing in on his win back in Jan in claiming the title and ready to take a dive.

• Paid Members

On my phone so its awkward to link it, but if you goto youtube and type 'behind the ropes' you should get the Joshua and Martin build up packages from sky pop as two of the top results :) always worth a look.

• Paid Members

I think it's a shame this fight on PPV. I don't think Joshua is a PPV boxer yet but he's well on his way. I know making his fights PPV is part of the plan to convince people that he is but he isn't. And it's a massive shame because he's one win, maybe two away from being the real deal. You want as many eyes as possible on fights like this because if he wins it and people see him do it, they'll all be ordering his next fight. I think this is short termism.

I don't mind paying for the boxing. I've bought a few fights but currently I don't think anyone is a PPV fighter. There are some domestic fights that I think are PPV fights and the Fury/Klitschko rematch is definitely a PPV fight but I'm not convinced anyone on their own justifies it. Perhaps Frampton coming off the big win over Quigg.

I'd pay for a card if it had a couple of big world title fights on it or even a big unification fight involving Kell Brook or DeGale. I just don't buy into the hype for this one. And in fairness, outside of Sky Sports, I'm not sure there is much hype. David Haye's latest stunt has got more people talking.

• Paid Members

I agree to a point, but the figures Joshua generated for the Whyte fight leaves them no other option. Until Joshua perhaps loses, he's PPV in this country. They did 400k buys last time out.

Oh, and Fury/Klitschko 2 happens in Manchester, July 9th.

• Paid Members

I agree to a point, but the figures Joshua generated for the Whyte fight leaves them no other option. Until Joshua perhaps loses, he's PPV in this country. They did 400k buys last time out.

That's not too shabby but it's not massive compared to some numbers, like Hatton's. That number will grow steadily I'm sure and so they'll feel justifed but just imagine if 1.5-2m people saw that last fight and this one? Then the next fight draws fucking huge on PPV because he's a star. It may be a moot point. He loses this, his next fight's on UK Gold and Sky can be relieved at their 400k buys.

• Paid Members

I think they forecast 200,000 buys. So considering they were willing to go PPV for that they basically smashed it. It does mean there's no going back though as long as he keeps winning.

That's not too shabby but it's not massive compared to some numbers, like Hatton's. That number will grow steadily I'm sure and so they'll feel justifed but just imagine if 1.5-2m people saw that last fight and this one? Then the next fight draws fucking huge on PPV because he's a star. It may be a moot point. He loses this, his next fight's on UK Gold and Sky can be relieved at their 400k buys.

Hatton's numbers were against Mayweather, that's a whole different level. For a British title fight to get 400k buys is huge. This fight should draw much more and if Joshua wins, the next fight after should too and so on. If he loses, regardless if on PPV or for free his stock will drop, at least this way he is going to earn big money from it.

I'm not a big fan of PPV either, but because of what happened in the last fight and the numbers it drew, I can't blame them one bit for this being on PPV with it being for a world title and the fact tickets sold out in minutes. Joshua is huge business right now, everyone close to him and fighters who hope to fight him in the future need that gravy train to keep rolling.

Hatton's numbers were against Mayweather, that's a whole different level. For a British title fight to get 400k buys is huge. This fight should draw much more and if Joshua wins, the next fight after should too and so on. If he loses, regardless if on PPV or for free his stock will drop, at least this way he is going to earn big money from it.

I'm not a big fan of PPV either, but because of what happened in the last fight and the numbers it drew, I can't blame them one bit for this being on PPV with it being for a world title and the fact tickets sold out in minutes. Joshua is huge business right now, everyone close to him and fighters who hope to fight him in the future need that gravy train to keep rolling.

Also can be argued that Sky are likely now to have 3 PPV's within 4 months. If you include the Quigg/Frampton card, Aj and Fury. To many for me personally.

I believe the Fury fight will be on WarrenNation.

Nah that's going to highest bidder. And Sky can offer way more with the PPV platform.

That's amazing, if true.

I didn't know who it'd go to, but I was sure boxnation wouldn't get it. That's a stunning coup for them.

I keep expecting Channel 5 to stump up the Viacom cash for one of the big fights, but it never seems to happen.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz