Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

yeh i think that's kind of the general thinking when it comes to Burns, but having said that, the guy won two titles in two different divisions and made seven defences...that's not to be sniffed at and from 2010-2012 Burns was a real quality operator.

The alarming thing about Burns last night was his alarming lack of power, i know he's never hit hard but last night he didn't look he could put a dent in a pillow, there was just nothing behind his punches, it allowed Zlaticanin to simply wade forward and unleash those ridiculous hooks.

It's sad to see cause Ricky generally comes across as one of the nicest guys in the sport and i hope he rebounds and cashes in some top domestic fights, that'd be cool to see.

didn't your Sky go off? i lost round 6-10 :( what i did see though was Ricky Burns get absolutely smashed any time he attempted to throw his right hand, the sky team brought it up also but Burns habit of falling against the ropes and just covering up is a really weird thing, he's done in constantly in his past few fights.

I was at family's house who don't have Sky Sports so I ended up watching on my laptop through a foreign stream and it fortunately never cut off for me like it did for you and everyone else watching on Sky Sports. That is a long time for it to cut off for.

What a fight between Crawford and Gamboa last night. My fav fight of the year so far, Crawford ended up winning by stoppage in the ninth round but just a wild, fun fight. I was surprised by how attacking Crawford was, not how he usually fights but he bought it full on here. Both took punishment, Gamboa more so and showed great heart to get up the amount of times he had too. Gamboa started off better and Crawford was struggling with his speed, but as soon as Crawford hit a huge shot in the fifth round he took control and the power was too much for Gamboa in the end.

• Paid Members

yeh that was epic.

Gamboa looked great for 4 rounds but after that the size and power of Crawford really was the difference. What made it so exciting was the fact that Gamboa kept coming forward swinging wild hooks depsite being outgunned, his Olympic skills went out the window and it was abit of a gun fight, dropped 4 times but never stopped trying. Exciting fight, boxing just keeps on delivering, unbelievable.

What a contrast to the Ricky Burns fight, one fight ago they fought now Burns career is in tatters and Crawford the talk of the boxing world.

What a contrast to the Ricky Burns fight, one fight ago they fought now Burns career is in tatters and Crawford the talk of the boxing world.

You can put that down to Crawford being American as well though. If Burns had beaten Crawford via decision there's no way he'd be in the position that Crawford found himself in after the win.

• Paid Members

yeh agreed but just 1 fight later to see how far apart they are is pretty crazy.

The HBO crew seemed pretty blown away by the reaction Crawford got Saturday night.

I was thinking earlier about just how good the boxing has been this year (pretty much continuing on the trend from last year), but i can't really remember watching a big time fight this year that's disappointed, every fight's been memorable in one way or another, fantastic.

Oh, and one more thing. I looked up the schedule for this weekend earlier and whilst it's a fairly quiet boxing weekend, one fight popped out at me which i thought was some kind of typo...

Michael Katsidis vs Graham Earl II.

What the fuck!? it's taking place in Oz and is a follow up to their mini classic 7 years ago, only problem is it's Earl's first fight in 5 years and only Katsidis' 2nd in 3. Not sure whether to laugh or cry, but Katsidis is one of my favorite fighters of all time so if i can get to watch it i will, but still...

Only fight that makes sense for that date, hopefully doesn't do well on the PPV side to give more hope of a fight against Pacquiao at some point down the line. Mayweather will make a few adjustments from the first fight and win comfortably on points.

The main event on Friday Night Fights this week was a good one. Undefeated, Mark Davis faced off against Filipino, Michael Farenas. Davis came in thinking he was a lot better than he was, until he tasted Farenas' power in his left hook. Davis' eye was already bleeding after the first round and other appendages started to spew blood as the rounds mounted up. Davis is a high volume puncher but most of those bounced off Farenas who would come back with heavy thudding lefts to the head and body. Rounds 5 & 6 were particularly bad with Davis bouncing around the ring similar to Tommy Hearns in the Hagler fight. Davis managed to survive round 7 with Farenas taking a breather but in round 8, a left to the head caused Davis to fly across the ring into the corner for the referee to stop the fight. Davis didn't look out of it but his eyes had the constantly glazed expression, that he wasn't all there. Bad week for 50 Cent's fighters. Fight Link

In the Sun today in Frank Warren's column, he's got Paul Butler to give up his world title, so he moves back down to Super Flyweight. Bantam is not his preferred weight supposedly but it seems strange to vacate the belt, maybe he didn't want to face the undefeated mandatory, Randy Caballero.

• Paid Members

probably a wise move, Butler was clearly outsized against Hall, Warren's just protecting his asset. I'm never really a fan of guys who win belts then vacate them though, i always feel it's a little disrespectful to the belt.

Tyson Luke Fury @Tyson_Fury

@dellboychisora u got beat by a fucking wet minge in haye. So u have no chance with me pussy I can't wait till I get u this time ko!

FFS can Fury be anymore of a dislikable prick. Really hoping Chisora takes him clean out

FFS can Fury be anymore of a dislikable prick. Really hoping Chisora takes him clean out

The difference for me is that Fury is clearly trying to generate animosity for the fight. Most of his carry-on is fight related, and whilst it is cringeworthy stuff, at least that's all it is.

Chisora though? He comes across as a genuine prick.

• Paid Members

Canelo vs Lara tonight. My boxing viewing has slacked off a bit since Froch vs Groves but I'm definitely tuning in for this.

Yesterday was 5 years since Arturo Gatti died as well. Mad how quick that's gone.