Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Froch vs Chavez JR is a cracking fight. Two best chins in business?

Chavez coming up in weight (ABOUT FUCKING TIME) and he probably still be the bigger man. Not too far off each other in natural boxing ability but both prefer to bully the opponent. Would be 1 physical draining fight.

Bika agreed in principle to fight Floyds own talent.. J'Love Leon or J'Leon Love. Probably gets him on Mayweather September card.

Edited by Fox Piss

Chavez JR already came up and fought at 168lbs against Vera in their second fight and his last fight. Froch beats Chavez easily, perfect fight for him to fight in Vegas, earn decent money and get the W. He will not fight Ward again unless he offered biggest purse of a lifetime and that won't happen. The second fight against Groves secured him financially in more ways then one.

• Paid Members

this weekend:

Cotto-Martinez-art.jpg

it feels small in comparison to last weekend's festivities being a Brit, but in terms of superstar stakes, this is the bigger fight.

Just read some odds and there's a decent return on a Cotto/Butler double (Paul Butler fights Stuart Hall on Boxnation), Butler takes Hall im pretty certain and is a favorite but i just fancy Cotto here, anyone else? Martinez has scraped by in his past few fights. Cotto looks spectacular last time out.

• Paid Members

I like Cotto as well. Partly a heart over head thing because I'm a fan and I'd much rather he win. But also, like you say, I think he's in the better form of the two. Martinez's age might be catching up. Plus Cotto is just more tested to me. He's been in with all the best guys and had his moments. I think he's a bit tougher as well.

Canelo vs Lara is only a few weeks away as well. Can't wait for that one.

It's such a hard fight to call between Cotto and Martinez. How will Cotto deal with going up against someone bigger then him? Is Martinez good enough to out box Cotto? Does Cotto have enough power to trouble Martinez? I'm really not sure what is going to happen. Martinez is 40, has been hampered by injury and didn't look good in his last fight against Murray, he had knee surgery too near end of last year and that could also play a factor. Cotto trying to make history, he seems to think he is much better now since joining Roach, but he only had one fight and that was against an average fighter. Of course he fought well against Mayweather when he lost, but don't forget after that fight Trout schooled and beat him easy at 154lbs couple fights ago. I would like to see Cotto win at a push, but my gut instinct points to Martinez winning on points, so I will go with that. It should be a great fight, very much looking forward to staying up and watching.

Of course he fought well against Mayweather when he lost, but don't forget after that fight Trout schooled and beat him easy at 154lbs couple fights ago.

I forgot about the Trout fight for some reason

To be honest it's easily done as in the build up I can't remember it being mentioned, a bit like the build up to Mayweather/Maidana, you hear a lot about Maidana loss to Khan as it was a close, exciting fight but not one mention of Alexander completely outclassing Maidana after that fight.

Cotto weighed in at 155lbs, Martinez came in at 158 3/4. Both looked good, hopefully we get a great fight. There are three fights on beforehand that start from 02:00am UK time, so earliest the main event will start is about 04:00am.

Stunning performance from Cotto, wish I had waited till watching at least a minute of the fight before making my prediction. Cotto dominated from start to finish, seem to hurt Martinez every time he connected, corner were right to stop it when they did, he had no hope and was only going to take more punishment. Hoprfully Cotto vs GGG next, if not that a fight against Canelo would be huge, especially from a financial aspect, taking out a Mayweather or Pacquiao fight that has to be one of the biggest drawing fights that can be made right about now. Congrats to Cotto on making history, he did it in style.

Cotto looked amazing last night. The team he's got at the Wild Card looks to be doing him wonders. How much was to do with Martinez's body finally giving up will be determined when Cotto fights someone more in their prime. It did feel like this was the end of Sergio Martinez. His head got scrambled on every punch to the temple, his knee's went, his eye was split open. When the crowd rose up for a Cotto chant in the ninth round, Martinez was groggy, couldn't dodge any of the punches and it felt like they were circling to deliver the death knell to Sergio's career.

Had a nice little win on Cotto thanks to the posts from Ebb, wandshogun09 and jimufctna24 in this thread. Thanks chaps, I owe you all a half a lager shandy.

Glad to be of partial assistance :thumbsup:

You are a brave man to listen to me , EBB and Wand though, a very brave man!

• Paid Members

Mixed emotions after last night fight. Whatever the result i was going to be delighted for one and devastated for the other. Sergio body looks in bits and i don't see any possibility of a comeback.

Cotto just adds to his legacy.

Don't think there will be a funnier moment in boxing this year than that minute in between round 1 & 2 of Chris Eubanks JR fight. Fucking hell i was nearly on floor.

Great comeback from Andy Lee and possible K.O of year as well on the undercard at MSG.

Edited by Fox Piss