Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

I was surprised before the first Froch vs Groves fight why Groves seemed to be hated by a lot of people for what he was saying, especially on that Ringside show that will go down as one if not the best one in history. He may have taken it a bit far with the "he looks like he is going to cry" comment but for the most part he was spot on and Froch couldn't handle it as he can't take criticism. Obviously in the fight most fans saw Groves in a different light and now the public perception has changed towards him by some. I'm a big fan of both, I got a lot of respect for Froch, for what he has done in his boxing career. He has barely ever taken a step back, fought every other single top guy out there that he could at 168lbs and no matter what happen this forthcoming Saturday night will go down as one of the best fighters to have come out of Britain. I picked Groves for the first fight and I'm going to go with him again here. I think it will be similar to the first, both will fight better, Groves to be the more dominant guy in the early stages, Froch to come on strong in the later but Groves to withstand what is thrown at him and take the title on a points decision. It's crazy to think we are six days away from this fight, it's flown by since it was announced, looking forward to going and hopefully it's as great a fight to watch as the first one was and that in the end there is no doubt over the final outcome.

• Paid Members
Wandshogun09's man-crush Nigel Benn was on Ringside this evening

Ah, cocknobs. I missed it.

and he was very vocal in his support for George Groves. Benn said that Froch should have been a little more respectful towards Groves after the first fight.

You know I love Benn but that's a tad hypocritical there, I think. With all the shit talking before Benn vs Eubank 1 and how Eubank rose to the challenge and stopped Benn - you could say the same, that Benn should've been more respectful towards Eubank after that. But the feud seemed to become even more heated. Some people just irritate each other.

When you think about it, the Froch vs Groves rivalry has been a bit like the Benn vs Eubank rivalry so far. With Froch in the Benn role and Groves in the Eubank role. Only difference is the 'Benn' won the first fight this time. But really, it's been similar. Froch was the warrior who was favoured by most in the first fight, like Benn was. Groves was coming up and getting his first big break, like Eubank in 1990. The cocky up and comer Groves rose to the occasion, like Eubank. The trash talk was even similar with Froch/Benn getting angry and Groves/Eubank playing it cool and being all condescending to wind him up even more. Both rematches at a big stadium as well. Lets just hope this doesn't end up a draw like Benn vs Eubank 2.

I've ended up voting Froch by TKO. Poll is more one sided than I expected. 20-9 to Froch at the moment. Thought they'd be pretty neck and neck or even more for Groves.

Edited by wandshogun09

I've gone with GG by KO/TKO.

Any result here a really possiabilty though.

I keep changing my mind but I hope George wins either way. Nothing against Carl but Groves is the future and on the way up, I've been a fan since he turned pro and I like his in-ring style and his approach to fights in the lead up. His mental toughness impresses me.

• Paid Members

Im headed down Friday morning, gonna hit the weigh-in's at Wembley Arena at 3pm, trying to make the most of it.

Anyone catch Stevenson/Fonfara on Saturday night? that ended up being much better than anyone expected, proper little war...the feelings are split on whether or not Fonfara was a lot better when expected or he simply exposed Stevenson. Regardless it was a quality fight. I do not like Stevenson's chances against Kovalev though.

• Moderators

Will Boxing ever reach those halcyon days of the British heavy division in the mid-late 00s again? I doubt it. The Four Horsemen of Sprott, Harrison, Skelton and Williams were an embarrassment of riches.