Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

ive never used them man, i try finding stuff online myself. Someone else might be able to help you out with that.

The thing with boxing sets are quality of older fights keeps getting better as stuff gets broadcast and recapped (especially classic fights), stuff always gets upgraded.

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members

So the Mayweather Fanclub have put up this video on FB:

Maidana's Dirty Tactics

What d'you reckon? Personally, I don't have a problem with it. The referee didn't DQ him, and as wand said, the best chance Maidana had was to rough Floyd up with a nasty in-fight.

Plus, on the day that boxing decides to stop paying huge amounts of money upon which people's lives may hinge, and becomes a purely sporting endeavour, I'll complain about dirty tactics.

Maidana's Dirty Tactics

What d'you reckon? Personally, I don't have a problem with it. The referee didn't DQ him, and as wand said, the best chance Maidana had was to rough Floyd up with a nasty in-fight.

Plus, on the day that boxing decides to stop paying huge amounts of money upon which people's lives may hinge, and becomes a purely sporting endeavour, I'll complain about dirty tactics.

Yeah, but we would see shitloads of crying if Mayweather was fighting like that, wouldn't we? I think it shows the level of the guy that he came through that kind of fight still swinging. i've never been his biggest fan, but he earned respect from me in that fight.

• Paid Members

Maidana's Dirty Tactics

Yeah, but we would see shitloads of crying if Mayweather was fighting like that, wouldn't we? I think it shows the level of the guy that he came through that kind of fight still swinging. i've never been his biggest fan, but he earned respect from me in that fight.

Can't say for anyone else, but if fighting like that was Mayweather's only chance of beating Maidana, I wouldn't be crying about it. And besides, Mayweather's had his shady moments in the past anyway.

I'm not a huge fan of the guy either, but I can accept that Mayweather is amongst the greatest - his skill is unbelievable. I wouldn't place him in the top 5, but certainly in the top 10.

• Paid Members

some boxing on this weekend:

got the WBC Heavyweight Title Fight on Boxnation between Arreola and Stiverne. Some people may question the talent contested a WBC title, but its by far the more exciting side of the Heavyweight division.

Earlier on Saturday on Boxnation is a British title fight between Martin Gethin and Derry Matthews...knowing the kind of fights Derry Matthews usually ends up in, it should be worth a watch.

Channel 5 has a Kid Galahad has a Commonwealth Title shot against Fred Mundraby, biggest fight of Galahad's career.

Decent lil weekend.

• Paid Members

anyone seen the video of Deontay Wilder having a boxing match with an internet troll at a gym doing the rounds? apparently the guy has been trolling Wilder for years, racially abusing him and making comments about Wilders disabled daughter...

video here

first off, the guy's very lucky he didn't get killed, especially doing it on a hard wood floor...and secondly, the fucking balls on that guy for actually showing up and doing, holy fuck.

• Paid Members

That's nuts! I don't know if it's balls or just plain stupidity. I'm leaning towards stupidity. He can't be the full shilling, can he?

Nigel Benn's son Conor on the far right here;

BnRmfQlCIAI0NJr.jpg

He's boxing amateur now. Won last night according to twitter but I can't find his record. Anyone seen much of him? Any good? He's talking about fighting in the 2016 Olympics and has been saying he can't wait to turn pro after that. Dropped hints about a Eubank Jr fight as well with something like "who would pay to see another Benn vs Eubank fight?". I'm assuming he wasn't on about the old fellas.

I hope he does well. From little bits I've seen and read he seems a nice enough kid. I'm one of the minority who kind of likes Eubank Jr but I was always on Team Benn as a kid so I'd be rooting for Benn should they ever meet.

Old Benn quote from 2011 on his son;

"I've been training Conor for 10 years and he's good, he's damn good. I never wanted him to be a boxer and thought he'd grow out of it, but I can see in him that he's determined - he's 15 now and training harder than ever. It's worrying!

Seeing how fast he is and how hungry and determined he is, it's frightening.

The boxing itself is fine, no problem. There are a thousand times more injuries in rugby. If you're good, you don't get hit much anyway.

It's the lifestyle that I'd worry about with my son, because he's got my characteristics. It's a life of girls, gold, gangsters, sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll. You don't have any friends, you think you do, but you don't - and that's no life for anyone.

If he's goes into it, I've got to direct him. It's up to me. I've got to be a loving father and call on the Lord to help me with this.

As far as will he make it - listen, he's trained by one of the masters!"

Some other Benn quotes;

"Boxing to me is not rocket science. If your opponent is slippery, go for accuracy more than power. If he's more of a fighter, go for power more than accuracy. If he ducks a lot, you throw the uppercut. If he doesn't throw uppercuts, you duck down a lot.

One of the key things is body punching. I was always too much of a head hunter. A body punch will do more damage than a head punch.

In the first half of a fight, if you can hit the body or the head, you choose the body. That's a rule, mate."

"Bruce Lee and Marvin Hagler were my idols. I love martial arts. I did martial arts for six years and when I was 17 I annihilated a 6th Dan in a kickboxing tournament. Pat O'Keeffe was the guy. He has a few books out."

PRE-FIGHT MEAL: Fish and rice or fish and pasta. Half a jar of honey. Very good for you. Gets in your blood real quick.

PRE-FIGHT FEELING: Confident. I knew I trained three times a day. I knew my body was ready for the fight. The hard part was the training, the fight is the easy part. I was good at peaking for the night of the fight. I never had any fear of my opponents. I was nervous, but never afraid.

TOUGHEST OPPONENT: Gerald McClellan. Robbie Sims was the strongest - stronger than (Chris) Eubank and (Michael) Watson. I had to watch out for his body punching. Nicky Piper was able to absorb heavy body punches. Henry Wharton was one of my toughest fights. I never came out of the ring as bruised as I had after that fight. I had to undergo hospital checks on my kidneys.

HARDEST PUNCHER: Gerald McClellan. Man, I didn't know where I was. I didn't know a guy could hit that hard. Knocked me straight through the ropes in the first round. And in the third round he hit me with a body shot - I never felt a body shot like that before.

GREATEST SPORTS MOMENT: Whipping Doug DeWitt for the WBO Middleweight title. Three knockdowns in the 8th round. I'd never seen a man take so much pain. DeWitt saved every punch with his face. Both his eyes were split. His ear was so smashed it turned blue. My eye was split as well. And I broke my wrist with the very last punch of the fight, a left hook.

MOST PAINFUL MOMENT: The McClellan fight. Inflicting that kind of damage does something to you. I'd wanted to win, sure. But not at that price.

FAVOURITE BOXERS: Mike Tyson. I really love that guy. My type of guy. Not so much his out of ring conduct. I met him in Las Vegas during Leonard-Duran III, at a club. He was sitting down. He knew of me. Outside, I was acting real cool. Inside, I was excited, Wow, I just met Mike Tyson! Love him to death.

• Paid Members

Half a jar of honey! I've got a real sweet tooth, but that would be way too much for me. I would've thought it wasn't good for you to have that much sugar.

20b232101633836e1a7a46a9a94031dffcb0530a6d2c9bab63b7278bc60c4cc0.jpg

• Paid Members

'Sugar' Diabeetus sounds like a boxer name.

Just seen this re-tweeted by Ariel Helwani

John Pollock @iamjohnpollock

Jim Ross announces he will start doing play by play for Golden Boy Boxing on 5/26 on FOX Sports 1

"Left hook, left hook, bah gawd, what a hellacious left hook."

This along with the old "slobberknocker" and "trip to the woodshed" will no doubt crop up. Probably still try to shoehorn his football references in there somehow.

• Paid Members
'Sugar' Diabeetus sounds like a boxer name.

WHOA.

I was watching an old episode of Only Fools And Horses on Gold (I think) - it's the one wear Rodney resigns from his dad-in-law's firm and finds out his assistant's taking over. When Del hears that, he says "That idiot thought sugar diabetes was a Welsh flyweight!"

Freaky cowinkydink.

• Moderators

Good to see Benn giving Henry Wharton some credit, he was teak tough. Even the domestic SMWs in the mid 90s were of a decent quality. Piper, Wharton, Gary Stretch, Ray Close, Sam Storey...

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Yeah, Wharton was a really good boxer. In another era he might've won a world title but the division was chockablock with top fighters at the time. I'm sure he gave Eubank one of his hardest fights around that time. Supposed to be a really nice bloke as well from bits I've read over the years.

Here's a nice news clip of Benn and Wharton meeting again a couple of years back;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&a...p;v=uqMgMthg6Os

• Moderators

Has there ever been more of an abundance of riches in British boxing than the Super Middleweight class of the 90s? Even down to domestic level.

EDIT: What am I saying? THE TITANS of the Biritsh HW division from 05-11 or so were the BEST THING EVER.

Edited by PowerButchi

Channel 5 has a Kid Galahad has a Commonwealth Title shot against Fred Mundraby, biggest fight of Galahad's career.

He put in a good performance, he was lightning quick. He is clearly a class above the guy he was in there with mind you, who really didn't throw anything and quit on his stool in the end.

I'd definitely want to see more of him, and he comes from a great stable. Plus, great name!