Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

the only real distinct memory i have of an actual Naz fight (other than Barrera) was when he fought Steve Robinson, it was a really big deal in Wales at the time. Robinson was unlikely World Champ and bit of a national hero in Wales at that time, he fought Naz at the Arms Parks in Cardiff and i remember watching it live on the portable TV in my Sisters bedroom with my dad. Naz walked through Robinson that night, i just remember being really deflated after realising early that Robinson had no chance of winning.

1050.jpg

I often wonder what would have happened with Naseem had he carried on boxing. You have to assume he'd probably have had another five years if he'd wanted to keep going. Naz vs Erik Morales is one of those big 'what if?' fights for me, one that got away. Could've been an absolute all-time classic. Naz vs Pacquiao, Marquez or even Gatti would have been something to see as well. And a Barrera rematch could have been big.

While I'm here, some classic Naz entrances;

Halloween style 'Thriller' entrance vs Wayne McCullough

http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&a...p;v=jZvBDYS6hsY

Ridiculously over the top entrance vs Daniel Alicea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&a...p;v=Kusljds7WW0

In a kilt, to 'Here Comes The Hotstepper', vs Sergio Liendo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&a...p;v=adEqVCqtGYM

And the Barrera entrance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&a...p;v=PWqbzLcKsWU

Nothing like him in boxing since. Some of these are like Apollo Creed's James Brown entrance in Rocky IV in their ridiculousness. I love them.

I love the 'Thriller' one. So over the top and it reminds me a bit of the old Halloween Havoc sets in WCW. The commentator's a right wet blanket about the whole thing though.

"You're going to see a ring entrance which has caused much comment and controversy. Designed by American TV producers. Nassem is going to come in to a mock...graveyard. Harmless Halloween fun? Or in very poor taste, in a dangerous sport like boxing? I'm certainly of the latter view, myself.

The Americans say to us, 'Don't take it so seriously. You've got to realise Halloween is a big party weekend over here. No correlation should be made between boxing and graveyards. It's all a bit of fun.' Or is it, Glenn?"

Then Glenn McCrory starts on about it's not right that a fighter should have to walk through that and have it on his mind. Jesus Christ, lighten up boys. Just as McCrory finished his sentence Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' started up. It's all clearly tongue-in-cheek, I don't know why they felt the need to get all morbid about it. Yeah, it's a rough sport and all that but the entrance was so silly and goofy. As they were saying this stuff there were really cartoonish sound effects of women screaming and cats meowing in the background.

Sorry i forgot to mention this earlier.

The deal with this one was that both McCrory and Iain Darke were covering the Spencer Oliver fight a few months earlier for SKY where he nearly died in front of them in the ring thus the whole thing was still a bit raw, hence them showing bit of distain towards the entrance and saying it was in poor taste.

My personal favourite was the Kevin Kelley match. One of the most action packed and thrilling fights i've seen even now. Knockdowns galore and a red hot crowd.

Edited by Stylin_and_Profilin

• Paid Members

I believe one of the main reasons for Naz's retirement was that he had a lot of trouble with his hands.

According to himself...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/p...fe-2145757.html

..So why did he quit after only one defeat in 37 fights? "I was 28 when I had my last fight and I'd been 21 years boxing. I know fighters these days go on to 35 or 40 but one of the main things for me was that my hands just couldn't hold up, they were giving me serious pain. I had to have cortisone injections before virtually every fight in the later stages. They are no joke...

• Paid Members

Tony Bellew gets his World Title shot this weekend...

1452264_10152058350049271_958747943_n.jpg

he's fighting one of the most exciting guys in the game right, tough gig but the consesus on Stevenson is that if you can drag him deep he fades. Anyone fancy Tony's chances?

• Paid Members

I give Tony a chance but it will be a stinker if he does it.

Only discovered Adonis when he faced Chad Dawson but his been one of the fighters of the year for me. From his freak power to some outstanding boxing against Cloud. Only downside is his 36 so time is not on his side. Luckily for us boxing fans i think that forces his hand into the big fights. Expecting him against Sergey Kovalev (Who is on the undercard) early next year.

Going back even further, Barrera had a corker against Kennedy McKinney in 1996 that doesn't get brought up enough IMO. McKinney was an Olympic gold medalist and Barrera knocked him down five times in all during the fight. It was a real war, McKinney knocked Barrera down as well at one point. Great, great fight. One of Barrera's best fights and best wins.

I watched this the other day on your recommendation and its a exciting scrap. I had never heard of McKinney before but he looked like a strong challenger and was game for the fight. The Budweiser logo in the centre of the ring was given them all sorts of bother with slipping. I think Barrera's knockdown and McKinney's one after Barrera's knockdown were both helped along by the ring floor. The version I saw, was an old Eurosport telecast with a solo commentator who didn't care much for Barrera. He said those who thought Barrera could beat Naz were talking nonsense and Wayne McCullough would be a tough enough task for him. Later on he said, Barrera is easy to hit and although McKinney's punches are not that powerful, Naz would knock Barrera spark out.

I didn't think Bellew had much of a chance tonight until I read Frank Warren's piece in today's Sun. Bellew is 4 inches taller and has a 9 inch reach advantage according to Frank. Sounds as if he's got arms like Inspector Gadget. Turns out its only a 2 inch advantage. It will be interesting to see how strong Bellew is, as Stevenson has had all of his wins come via KO for the past 6 years.

Bellew's a hard one to judge as bar the Cleverley fight he hasn't really fought anybody of note. One thing that really impressed me in Stevenson's last fight against Cloud was his boxing skills. He showed that one punch power against Dawson, but in the Cloud fight he showed a great range of variety and Bellew seems to want to keep going on about Stevenson being stopped in his only loss, if that is what he needs to focus on to motivate and give himself the confidence needed to get the job done. He does have some big advantages with the reach but I can't see it being enough to keep Stevenson off, either knock out within five round or wide points win for Stevenson.

Both Kovalev and Stevenson were impressive last night as expected. Really do hope those two get it on as it would be a great fight. Kovalev seems on it, Stevenson seems hesitant, I can understand him wanting Hopkins but Hopkins with Showtime so going to be a very hard fight to make and there's no way Froch is moving up to 175lbs, so Stevenson would have to drop down to 168lbs and risks being stripped of his title and he won't want that to happen. Can see Stevenson facing the winning of the upcoming Pascal vs Bute fight, would be all Canadian affair against either and would draw big money over there.

• Paid Members

Kovalev looked awesome as expected. Stevenson too but Kovalev's finish was just ruthless. I hope we do get Kovalev bs Stevenson.

Max Kellerman's a sarcastic little shit isn't he? Making some sarcy comment about Kovalev's English in the post-fight interview. Brandon Rios got pissed off with him last week, then he starts making snide comments a week later to Kovalev. Has he got a fucking death wish or something?

I watched this the other day on your recommendation and its a exciting scrap. I had never heard of McKinney before but he looked like a strong challenger and was game for the fight. The Budweiser logo in the centre of the ring was given them all sorts of bother with slipping. I think Barrera's knockdown and McKinney's one after Barrera's knockdown were both helped along by the ring floor. The version I saw, was an old Eurosport telecast with a solo commentator who didn't care much for Barrera. He said those who thought Barrera could beat Naz were talking nonsense and Wayne McCullough would be a tough enough task for him. Later on he said, Barrera is easy to hit and although McKinney's punches are not that powerful, Naz would knock Barrera spark out.

Haha, fuck me. I wonder if he had to commentate on the eventual Barrera vs Naz fight as well. I'd love to hear his embarrassment round by round as Barrera piled up the points. I watched the American version I think. It's been a few years though.

He even made sarcy comments about Stevenson after he finished his interview with him to the rest of the HBO crew, basically saying Stevenson wants none of Kovalevm he needs to be careful, Kovalev not the guy to do that nonsense with, someone sooner or later is not gonna care and smack him one. I'd pay PPV money to see that.

• Paid Members

Sergei Kovalevi is a dangerous man. He's just wrecking good fighters, his finishing skills are amongst the best in the game, just ruthless. I love the guy.

I'm not sure how i feel about Bellew's performance, he did ok but going in Stevenson's backyard he fought with a gameplan that left him little room to actually win, i guess he was trying to drag Stevenson late but Bellew wasn't winning rounds and he doesn't really have the power to trouble Stevenson whilst counter punching. It was a valid effort but from early on i think it was fairly obvious that Bellew wasn't going to win.

Stevenson/Kovalev has to happen, but i think that all Canadian World Title tilt between the winner of Pascal/Bute and Stevenson may be the way they go.