Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

The woman judge who scored that a draw needs to get the boot. Bad enough she gave Bradley the decision over Pacquiao, but that tonight was just as bad if not worse. Kind of running out of words when it comes to Mayweather now, he makes good fighters look very ordinary and just picks them apart with ease for the most part. That was easy night's work for him, someone from somewhere needs to make it a very competitive fight.

• Paid Members

Yeah I couldn't believe that one judge had it a draw. That's way worse than scoring the Bradley-Pacquiao fight for Bradley IMO. While that was a bad decision, at least it was competitive and Bradley finished strong in the later rounds. This wasn't even close last night, Mayweather took Canelo to school. I think Ryan Rhodes was right on Ringside that the fight came too early for Alvarez. I don't blame him for taking this fight but looking at that fight last night, he clearly wasn't ready for Floyd. Then again, it probably doesn't matter. Some fights you come out thinking 'give that guy another year or two and I think he'd win the rematch', but based on how convincingly Mayweather handled him last night I'm not sure Canelo would ever be ready.

I'm sure now people will come out and say 'see, Canelo was all hype' and stuff like that to knock Mayweather. But who do you want him to fight? When he faces the Moselys and Cottos people say they're past it or old, when he fights a young undefeated Canelo he's all hype. Canelo was a young dangerous fighter and Mayweather just made him look like shit.

It's the way he's beating these guys that's really impressive. And in his late 30s. It's unheard of, especially a smaller boxer who relies on speed, timing and reflexes.

I agree that it was worse then the Pac/Bradley decision. It shouldn't be allowed to happen, but continues to happy far too much in this sport. There's no one reallly left for him to face. The Pac fight will never happen and everyone else I can't see who has all that's needed to come close. He's still got four fights left on his showtime deal so he'll find some more golden boy fighters to beat up, I'm still hoping we get a heel turn from Broner at some point and have him step up, he's fried enough to throw the friendship out the window and even more fried to believe he can take the 0.

Agreed, 2 laughable verdicts from the same judge in massive fights. I still think the judges verdict for Pac-Bradley was worse as it led to a robbery, the other two judges ensured that the bad judges verdict last night was irrelevant.

I had Floyd win at least 9 rounds, you could argue he won all 12. I had him winning 10 with 1 even. I think we get Floyd vs Khan next (provided Khan beats Alexander) Upsets are always a possibility in the fight game, but at this rare I think Floyd could retire with his 0 in tact. Based on last night he is a league above everyone else, unless father time catches up fast or someone comes out of nowhere, I cannot not see him losing.

• Paid Members

Hey, on the basis of last night's fight, I can admit I might be wrong when it comes to Mayweather. I still don't think he'll be THE GOAT, but he'll probably be among them.

BTW, just saw the Riddick Bowe thread on On Topic - I honestly didn't know he retired undefeated. Didn't know he was all that, if I'm being absolutely frank. Only thing I really knew about him was that he beat Tyson and he developed a guard-breaking punch called the Smash.

BTW, just saw the Riddick Bowe thread on On Topic - I honestly didn't know he retired undefeated. Didn't know he was all that, if I'm being absolutely frank. Only thing I really knew about him was that he beat Tyson and he developed a guard-breaking punch called the Smash.

I think you have him mixed up

He never beat Tyson, and did have a loss against Holyfield on his record.

• Paid Members

I think you have him mixed up

He never beat Tyson, and did have a loss against Holyfield on his record.

Goddammit. You're right. Douglas, wasn't it?

I think I misread the On Topic stats - I'm so used to reading football columns as "W, D, L", so I read his defeat column as a draw.

• Paid Members
Yes, Douglas did beat Tyson, but he did have losses on his record as well.

Oh, I knew that much.

And I've just done some checking, and reminded myself it was Ruddock who developed the Smash, not Bowe. Fuck's sake, my memory is getting bad.