Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

His former (and Pacs current) Strength and Conditioner coach Alex Azira(?) said Khan is mislead by people in his team.

That doesn't give him a pass or excuses for his chin or anything but i really like Khan. He went in with a big puncher when question was asked about his chin. He took a roided and perhaps #No1 in that division to a close fight in Petersons hometown with dodgy activity going on at ringside too. He was schooling Garcia until he got clocked.

I reckon his best fight is still to come.

Edited by Fox Piss

His former (and Pacs current) Strength and Conditioner coach Alex Azira(?) said Khan is mislead by people in his team.

That doesn't give him a pass or excuses for his chin or anything but i really like Khan. He went in with a big puncher when question was asked about his chin. He took a roided and perhaps #No1 in that division to a close fight in Petersons hometown with dodgy activity going on at ringside too. He was schooling Garcia until he got clocked.

I reckon his best fight is still to come.

I do like Khan and think he's a good/exciting fighter, but the excuses at times become laughable. I can believe what Ariza said, when I listen to Khan or his dad talk the excuses are usually in full force.

I'd say Bradley and Alexander were both better at the time at 140lbs when Khan fought Peterson for sure. Funny thing is I think Khan would beat the pair of them as neither have the power, even if Bradley does have the pressure and Alexander the boxing skills. Khan really messed up in the Peterson fight, if anything he had too good of a first round and ended up fighting Peterson's type of fight, still a very close fight.

• Paid Members

I'm a Khan fan and I always root for him, but although the criticism gets repetitive, it's mostly valid criticism I'm hearing/reading about this fight.

I don't want him to lose or expect him not to get hit but he has a tendency to play with fire in fights sometimes when he doesn't always need to. I've said loads of times on here that those types of fighters are often the most exciting, citing Benn and Gatti (probably my two favourite boxers ever) as examples. And they were no defensive marvels.

It's just that I'd read a lot of stuff about how Khan looked much better in his last fight, much improved, fixed the holes and all that under Virgil Hunter. In that fight and this, he looked the same as he always does to me, exactly the same style. Granted it's an exciting style but if he doesn't find a better way to deal with power punchers he'll have to get used to dropping a loss every few fights because if someone like Matthyse cracks him like Diaz did I don't see him recovering so well.

He did well against Diaz getting through some really shaky moments so that's a positive. But it's to be expected that people will talk about the bad stuff when the two most significant moments of the fight were Khan getting dropped and then getting rocked with that Diaz flurry in the later rounds. If Mayweather was getting decked and rocked with such regularity people would criticise him as well.

He has become one of the most consistently exciting boxers to watch though. Never a dull moment in Khan's fights.

Who is he most likely to fight in December of the 3 mentioned names? Personally I'd like to see the Khan vs Peterson stuff put to bed first, let Garcia and Matthyse battle it out around the same time and have the winners face off early next year.

• Paid Members

From the Showtime Tourney i got the vibe Matthyse is favorite.

I've hardly seen anything of him though but going by his record... What's the hype? A boxer who as power who is K'O cannon fodder for the majority and losing to two slick yet hardly dangerous boxers.

Peterson and Garcia both have +/- but both seem more rounded boxers who should be clever enough to deal with just a big bomber.

• Paid Members

It's not a question of hype for me. I've just became a fan of his over the last year or two. He's great to watch, exciting, powerful. His fights last year with Soto and Olusegun were quality.

I'm not claiming him as some world beater or hyping him, but he's a dangerous fight for Khan. Whatever happened that would be a cracking fight.

That could be true. I have heard horror stories about some of his handlers/crew

My two cents on Khan is this. He has fantastic natural gifts, he is super fast, has hand /combos and power. All he needs is better fight I.Q, his chin would not be such a issue if he did not get tagged so often. My Brother made the point on Saturday night he rarely moves his head and sometimes stands square on and leaves him self a sitting duck. I not not think he is incapable of learning better defense, its just getting through to him it seems.

I thought he was decent against Molina and looked much more seasoned, he was not perfect and did get tagged a few times but it was nothing compared to Saturday where Diaz almost had him out of there in the 11th. I like Khan a great deal and route for him all the way, so I hope he achieves his potential, but the more time goes on the more I think he will get clipped again.

I dont mean to be unfair to khan but he looks to be regressing a bit which isn't a good sign. Guys at the level he thinks he is shouldn't be struggling with guys like Diaz. I can't see him beating any of the current champs at LWW.

He looks to have a bit less power and he never had much to begin with. Looks to be slowing down as well, his biggest asset.hope he does well like any Brit but he should get his big legs back, lighten up that torso and fight more like he did against Kotelnik or he's a KO waiting to happen

Edited by HeavyT

From the Showtime Tourney i got the vibe Matthyse is favorite.

I've hardly seen anything of him though but going by his record... What's the hype? A boxer who as power who is K'O cannon fodder for the majority and losing to two slick yet hardly dangerous boxers.

Knocked down every opponent he has faced and never been knocked down himself. The losses against Judah & Alexander were both 1 point split decisions, which he would of won on neutral ground. His main disadvantage is that he can be one dimensional in that he just ploughs forward and he can take a while to get going.

Also its a complete piss-take, the Peterson fight is at catchweight 141lbs so if Matthysse does win, he doesn't get a proper world title.

Even though he was subject to much ridicule, I quite liked him and was always drawn to watch his fights, even if it was for car crash value. With his Gold Medal and massive BBC Contract, will he go down as the biggest bust/underachiever in British Boxing history?