Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

yeh, i'd be tuning in. I aint sure how much Kimbo is demanding as a boxer, but after viewing some of the smaller shows he's been on im imagining it can't be anywhere near as much as he was making in MMA. I've tweeted Eddie Hearn about a Prizefighter appearence, worth a try :)

Ringside aired their Nigel Benn Special last night, i aint seen it yet but judging by the Eubank one they recently did it's gonna be a quality watch.

Pissed all over the Eubank one. While i found Eubank spoke alot of shite and wanted to say what he needed to say regardless of the questions, Benns was excellent. Best ringside i have ever seen. He came across really well, which i was chuffed about as he's my top boxer of all time.

He came across as grounded and happy within himself since he has left boxing. Spoke very honest about what he considers he past failures as a person and just seemed a top bloke.

Great story about his possible Sugar Ray Leonard fight.

Overall he seems a great storyteller. I went to see a talk at a local church the other week from a reformed football hooligan who had found God and it sorted reminded me a bit of Benns interview in a way, just someone who now seems content and happy, not afraid to speak of their past. 10/10 as far as i was concerned.

Got round to watching the Ringside Benn Special.

Like the Eubank one it was fantastic, he was a lot more straight talking than Eubank. It was very different to the the Eubank one, which was fitting as they were so different as people/boxers. Great in different ways.

His daughter rubbished reports and posted a picture of him cheering on the Ravens.

He didn't look to have a clue to me though.

He's looking seriously ill now. He's made it to 71 thought which is impressive considering.

• Paid Members

This is from a couple of days ago;

3efb1b4a461f40898545f4263a80e813.jpg

I know he's been ill for ages but he looks worse than he has in recent years here to me. It's sad to see him like this.

RIP Omar Henry as well. Just found this video of Henry sparring Nick Diaz;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...;v=a1RsXKk_Np8#!

Ali is seriously ill in hospital, his brother said he doesn't expect him to make it to the summer and it could be as little as days until he passes.

Seriously shit news. :(

As sad as it would be for his family, he has made it to his 70's, which isn't bad even for someone who has never been punched in the head. I won't be looking forward to the over the top eulogies and tributes though.

I stand by my opinion that the man was a racist, nasty prick when he was younger. His treatment of Joe Frazier in the 70's was a fucking disgrace, and has been all but swept under the carpet to maintain the image Ali has now.

One thing I'll always remember about Ali was his statement to a reporter about Frazier;

• Paid Members

All very well saying that, David, and I don't expect you to change your opinion, but it was a different era back then, when racial tensions were at their absolute highest. Whites were at some of their worst excesses in the modern world at the time, and many young black Americans saw rejectionism as their only chance to take back control of their futures from the white establishment. There were plenty in the UK like that, as well. It's not a good outlook on life, and I would never adopt it, but to just say "he's an absolute disgrace", etc., demonstrates a lack of understanding and empathy for what people were going through at the time.

I agree his treatment of Frazier was awful, in light of the fact that the guy fought for his re-instatement, but "collaborators" have always been seen as worse than the enemy, and unfortunately a man with Frazier's background was always going to end up on the wrong end of the radicals' ire.

You won't agree, but Ali was necessary at a time when black figures in the media mainstream were coming under fire, and very few were willing or able to issue challenges that needed challenging. It's all well and good calling him a racist, but nobody was directing that accusation openly at the white establishment at the time, and it needed someone like Ali to hold a mirror up to their hypocrisy. As Ali said when they challenged him about black segregationism: "You're the ones who don't want us in your neighbourhoods and in your colleges."

Edited by Carbomb