Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Kell Brook definitly made a bit of a statement to move onto the world scene, he fights Devon Alexander next, looking forward to that.

Had the US fights spoiled for me by UFCMania that used the boxing results as their main headline on their site, annoying.

im gonna rustle the 3 Pacquiao/Marquez fights and score em all before December 8th, see what i come up with.

Edited by Ebb

I caught most of Robin Reiad vs Kenny Anderson over the weekend, and was a bit bemuddled. Thought Reid had retired, to do films or something, and was surprised that was doing well against a lacklustre looking Anderson, until whatever round Reid got done for a low blow and then was pretty much destroyed himself :/

Anyone else watch? Dont get much boxing in these days. Miles off?

• Paid Members

Gerald McClellan is 45 today.

Just found that out by total coincidence after watching his 2 fights with Julian Jackson last night and looking at his wikipedia page for info.

Here's a highlight of McClellan-Jackson 1;

Or just watch the full thing...

jackson_mcclellan5353.jpg

Great fight. 5 rounds of mayhem.

EDIT - Bonus Naz...

36046_o.gif

Edited by wandshogun09

• Awards Moderator

I usually take Twitter rumours/reports from individuals with a pinch of salt, but a good few boxers who know Steward are also saying he's not died. He's seriously ill, but from what most are saying he's still alive. Notably Andy Lee who trains at Kronk Gym.

looks like its been confirmed now, very sad news :(

The link to the Detroit Free Press I posted has now changed to say he's still alive. Maybe a link to the confirmation?

Fightnews.com says he has passed.

R.I.P. One of the all time greats.

I only watched Hagler v Hearns at the weekend (not for the first time I hasten to add).

• Paid Members

I hope it turns out not to be true about him dying and he makes a recovery. I've always liked Manny Steward. One of the best trainers in Boxing, enjoyed his commentating for HBO and always preferred him over Max Kellerman, and I loved his outbursts at Jermain Taylor and Wlad between rounds.

Like most though, his time as Tommy Hearns' trainer is what I think of first with Steward. This will hit Hearns hard if it's true because Steward was like a Dad to him from a very young age.

Its odd how there's so many conflicting reports. People who you'd think would know are saying he's died but then his sister, and other places are saying he's alive.