Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

:laugh: Im pretty sure they dont drug test celebs and have their charity bouts sanctioned by the BBoBC! Im also 90% positive the fight wont happen, but I guess Big Shaq did fight ODLH before :) Edited by HeavyT

• Paid Members

What started as minor financial difficulties such as child support, turned into a devastating economic down-spiral for Evander Holyfield. Just about a month ago, Holyfield was forced to sell his mansion just outside of Atlanta for $7.5 million, but that sale was of minimal benefit, as the champ owed the bank double that amount, and more than $200,000 in back taxes (http://www.tmz.com/2012/06/08/evander-holyfield-georgia-mansion-sold-auction/).

Now it seems that things have taken yet another turn for the worst, forcing Holyfield to sell some of his life possessions to come up with more money that he will likely use to clean up his debt. (http://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions/2012/evander-holyfield/index.html)

Very sad news regarding Holyfield.

Its difficult for us normal every day folk to get our heads around it sometimes because you would think money troubles are the

last thing someone like Evander would have to worry about given all he must have made in his career, but it can happen to the best of us I guess.

Hope things work out for him.

Would hate to see him risk his health by fighting again.

• Paid Members

Yeah Holyfield should have retired ages ago with a shitload of money in the bank and enjoyed his retirement. He's been fighting probably solely to pay off debts the last few years.

For whatever reason (usually tax reasons, messy divorces or just ridiculous spending) this happens a lot with boxers. Holyfield, Tyson, Duran, Eubank. They all ended up broke at one point or another.. Then there's guys like Sugar Ray Leonard, Lennox Lewis, Marvin Hagler and Nigel Benn who have been much smarter with their money and are living well now.

It's a shame though. Holyfield is a proper legend, it's sad that he's had to keep going.

Anyone wanting to see the best of Holyfield watch the trilogy with Riddick Bowe and his fights with George Foreman, Michael Dokes and his two fights with Dwight Muhammad Qawi. All of them are among my favourite fights ever. I fucking love the first Bowe fight and the war with Dokes especially.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

On the subject of boxers and money, I always find it ironic that Chris Eubank wound up losing a lot of money and having to flog his big house while Nigel Benn is living comfortably off his career earnings in his swanky villa in Spain.

I mean, at the height of their rivalry if someone asked you 'which one of these two will end up skint?' you'd pick Benn every time wouldn't you? Eubank seemed too smart, he was a big spender but you'd imagine someone like him having multiple business ventures and money making schemes going on. Benn on the other hand was a big partier in them days, and he's said himself that his life was going out of control.

It's a funny game boxing.

no sympathy for him, he shouldnt have had so many kids for a start, and anyone who earns 100 mil+ and then ends up with nothing deserves it. he still l;ives better than everyone on this forum, same with Tyson, Eubank etc. I think thats a given.

It's insane to think he's still fighting, and winning, 15 round bouts at his age.

Its been probably 20 years, at least since Holyfield last had a 15 rounder. The rules were changed long ago to change things to 12 rounds. Agreed on the insanity of him still fighting though.

Eubank's spending over Benn ? Well Eubank always had ideas above his station and was capable of some ridiculous self publicity. I saw Benn DJ in Liverpool in 98 during the middle of his 'party drug' faze and he was down to earth, sober and was cool as fuck. I always saw Eubank as the one to go off the boil from the two off them. Benn could handle the limelight not being on him anymore better after retirement. Eubank seemingly not, with his infrequent 'getting in the news' type stunts. His son looks a right handful and a hell of a prospect incidentally btw.

• Paid Members

dunno if anyone's noticed but they've started releasing ESPN's Ringside... series over here on DVD. They've put out a Tyson and Ali collection, as well as Greatest Heavyweights and Top Knockouts. The shows have been readily available online or whatever for years but they are worth picking up if you like haven't got them. Great panels and outstanding highlights, they are a must see.

Edited by Ebb