Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
Good discussion on this thread guys although some of it is way above my level of expertise so don't want to embarass myself but interesting to read none the less.

Working my way through a Felix Trinidad career set just now. That guy was poetry in motion.

Don't be silly Stylin, get mucked into the conversation. I'd say that if you've went and got a Felix Trinidad career set, then you're in a lot deeper than the average guy on here, and knowing you on here for nearly ten years, I know that you always bring great opinions and points to any discussion.

How's Dan the man? Thebruiser, that is.

Someone mentioned about Khan not getting alot of love over her, i for one used to be a massive fan of khan but he chases the $ for me, don't get me wrong everyman should but the way he does it in my opinion is by fucking his fans over and this is all because of the sky fiasco that has been going on over the past few months. I for one was gonna pay the box office fee for the Khan vs paul mccloskey fight but was delighted when sky put it on sky sports 4 as in all honesty the undercard was piss poor and is paul mccloskey really a big world name worth

Yeah, have to echo what S&P had to say above me.

My question. Are there any decent "Boxing Manager" games for the PC? There used to be a ton of them for the old Amiga system. Thanks a lot!

I dunno about decent but there are these:

Smashdown

Boxing Manager

Or if you can emulate an amiga or so this

World Championship Boxing Manager

The last one is aces I bust it out every now and then, do amazing with first year fighters who then sign massive ranking needed contracts and then run away when the next contract is due, the bastards!

• Paid Members
Someone mentioned about Khan not getting alot of love over her, i for one used to be a massive fan of khan but he chases the $ for me, don't get me wrong everyman should but the way he does it in my opinion is by fucking his fans over and this is all because of the sky fiasco that has been going on over the past few months. I for one was gonna pay the box office fee for the Khan vs paul mccloskey fight but was delighted when sky put it on sky sports 4 as in all honesty the undercard was piss poor and is paul mccloskey really a big world name worth
Edited by Taylorslade

Having dealt with Khans management a few years ago I can tell you now that they are not good people and are the most arrogant self absorbed and greedy people I have ever met. They were almost impossible to deal with and in the end made me glad the deal didn't come off so I did not have to work with them ever again.

Amir khan and his crew are also people I have had to deal with on the doors in the past in Manchester and he is a total utter prick to the point of him being barred from some of the better places in Manchester due to his and his mates attitude.

I work for sky so I had a laugh when we got told that the company would not be selling the fight with Mclosky due to the poor undercard. Off the record it was due to the ppv numbers not even hitting 4 figures.

A very talented fighter but him and his management are classless human beings.

• Paid Members
Having dealt with Khans management a few years ago I can tell you now that they are not good people and are the most arrogant self absorbed and greedy people I have ever met. They were almost impossible to deal with and in the end made me glad the deal didn't come off so I did not have to work with them ever again.

Amir khan and his crew are also people I have had to deal with on the doors in the past in Manchester and he is a total utter prick to the point of him being barred from some of the better places in Manchester due to his and his mates attitude.

I work for sky so I had a laugh when we got told that the company would not be selling the fight with Mclosky due to the poor undercard. Off the record it was due to the ppv numbers not even hitting 4 figures.

A very talented fighter but him and his management are classless human beings.

It's clear Khans PR team have told him he comes across as a prick in interviews, so he's trying to play the 'nice guy' card now. I can see that slipping soon though when something fucks up (and it will, Khan appears to be the type that believes his own hype).

His managements dealing with Alex Ariza was a shambles. Pretty much backs up what you're saying too.

• Paid Members

Top post Taylorslade

I've defended Amir Khan on here and in conversations with mates or whatever and I do like him but I can't disagree with yours or Patrick's posts. I don't know enough about Amir Khan the person, or what he is like outside the ring to make a fair assessment. But from reading Patrick's post and bits and pieces I've read on forums the last few years mainly from people in the Manchester/Bolton areas who've dealt with or met him, the vast majority seem to think he's a right cock.

Myself I can only go on what I see on the telly. Like everyone says he is a very gifted boxer. I don't think anyone can really dispute that honestly. Personality wise I've always thought he came across well enough on TV appearances and stuff but like I say I don't know enough and I wasn't aware of some of the mongy quotes he came out with that Taylorslade mentioned. He certainly doesn't have that instant likeability factor like Hatton, Bruno or Henry Cooper did. But all in all I always thought he seemed alright.

He's never been a favourite of mine and when I see him being called Britain's most exciting boxer or whatever I always think nah that was Nigel Benn for me or Carl Froch if we're talking currently. But I like him and I always root for him, well apart from when he fought Barrera :)

I do hope he fights some guys who are more in their prime soon though. Maidana was a great win for him because not only was he a heavy puncher he was in good form. The knock I hear a lot on Khan is he fights fighters who are past their best and even people that didn't like him gave him his due for the Maidana win and how he took big shots and fought through it. Now he's fighting guys like Judah and Morales. Big names who are still capable of good fights but are on the decline. Taking these fights don't do him any favours with the perception people have of him. Hopefully after the Morales fight, they'll finally get that Bradley fight on and then maybe Khan will move up to 147 like has been talked about recently. Fights with Mayweather and Pacquiao would be huge money and a chance to fight great fighters in their prime (if they still are by then)

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

HBO Mayweather/Ortiz face off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJAdiIlmjI...player_embedded

thought people might wanna give this a watch

Oh and haven't seen it mentioned so apologies if it's been posted already but Butch Lewis, promoter who worked with the likes of Frazier and Ali and appeared in the Thrilla in Manila documentary has died at 65 :(

Butch-Lewis.jpg

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

re-watched Michael Katsidis/Graham Earl last night...

what an absolute classic, 5 of the most savage rounds ever to take place in a boxing ring. For one and a half rounds it looked like it was gonna be a blowout, Earl down 3 times and having his corner throw in the towel (which was promptly kicked out of the ring by the ref) only for Earl to land a pearl of a right hand almost immediately after to drop Katisidis. The floodgates open after that and the two men batter each other before Earl's pulled out by his corner after 5.

The anti-climatic finish harms it a little but you can't fault what went down in them 5 rounds. Katsidis is probably my favourite fighter.

Does anyone know (Taylorslade im looking at you) why Earl's corner were so insistent on getting him out of there? First the corner came in, then they threatened to pull him out between rounds, then they did after 5. I know it was a brutal fight but Earl was still in it and he won round 5 for me (although i think it was more to do with Katsidis taking a round off after the ridiculous amount of punches he threw in round 4). Was there any reason other than he was taken a lot of shots to the head?

re-watched Michael Katsidis/Graham Earl last night...

what an absolute classic, 5 of the most savage rounds ever to take place in a boxing ring. For one and a half rounds it looked like it was gonna be a blowout, Earl down 3 times and having his corner throw in the towel (which was promptly kicked out of the ring by the ref) only for Earl to land a pearl of a right hand almost immediately after to drop Katisidis. The floodgates open after that and the two men batter each other before Earl's pulled out by his corner after 5.

The anti-climatic finish harms it a little but you can't fault what went down in them 5 rounds. Katsidis is probably my favourite fighter.

Does anyone know (Taylorslade im looking at you) why Earl's corner were so insistent on getting him out of there? First the corner came in, then they threatened to pull him out between rounds, then they did after 5. I know it was a brutal fight but Earl was still in it and he won round 5 for me (although i think it was more to do with Katsidis taking a round off after the ridiculous amount of punches he threw in round 4). Was there any reason other than he was taken a lot of shots to the head?

Earl would never quit when there are times you just wish he would stay the hell down. The Khan fight is a good example of that. I don't think that match was stopped to early. May I sugeest that you people who are loving Earl and Katsidis check out our own Michael Hunter! Now there is a man who gave everything in the ring!

I do hope he fights some guys who are more in their prime soon though. Maidana was a great win for him because not only was he a heavy puncher he was in good form. The knock I hear a lot on Khan is he fights fighters who are past their best and even people that didn't like him gave him his due for the Maidana win and how he took big shots and fought through it. Now he's fighting guys like Judah and Morales. Big names who are still capable of good fights but are on the decline. Taking these fights don't do him any favours with the perception people have of him. Hopefully after the Morales fight, they'll finally get that Bradley fight on and then maybe Khan will move up to 147 like has been talked about recently. Fights with Mayweather and Pacquiao would be huge money and a chance to fight great fighters in their prime (if they still are by then)

Almost every fighter goes through a few guys on their way out. Its just the way it is, Hattons best wins were against Tszyu and Castillo, one was an inactive fighter at the twilight of his career, the other was an old Mexican fighting for money. Despite Judah being pretty old, he was also a current world champ and a name. I only really see him fighting Morales if Morales wins the WBC belt that hes lined up to fight for. Then it would b e a worthwhile unification regardless of Morales being past prime. I also think Morales showed in his effort against Maidana that he is easily top 15 in the division.

• Paid Members

Oh yeah I know that's how it's always been in boxing but just making a point that people bash Khan for fighting past it fighters so I'd like to see him fight someone more in form next.

Just read that Khan vs Morales doesn't look to be happening now anyway. The WBC have stripped Tim Bradley of his title for not defending it and they're doing Erik Morales vs Jorge Barrios on Sep 17th for the vacant title.