Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Moderators

What a tremendous advert for british heavyweight boxing. I can't wait for the Fury vs Sprott/Harrisson/Skelton/Williams/ The Lanky Scouser From The Olympics/Bugner blockbuster.

British Heavyweight boxing is ace.

• Paid Members

Fury/Chisora clearly wasnt one for the purists, that said it was fun to watch. Just seemed like an old school dust up, Chisora was the power puncher in there but Fury clearly did enough to win. I enjoyed it, the Channel 5 coverage was good too.

Bought the Khan/Judah fight last minute cause i was still up (and pissed), little masterclass by Khan. Everyone predicted Judah may be tricky but Khan just schooled him, too fast, too accurate and just too good.

It's kinda weird cause as good as Khan is now i still feel like the general public over here still thinks he sucks. I don't think anyone will let the Prescott defeat go. The boys i watched the fight with all predicted (despite knowing nothing about boxing) that Khan was gonna get smashed. It's almost as if the rest of the world have cottoned on to him except his homeland, kinda weird situation. I'd liken it to Carl Froch who has never gotten the general aduration he deserves, but Khan's lack of popularity is different because everyone knows who Khan is, its just most people just think he's shit, when he clearly isn't. Odd.

* just to make a note, one boy who watched the fight with me (who fights MMA) thinks that a boy he trains with (who's an amateur) would beat Khan in a boxing match...i just dropped my head.

• Paid Members

Yeah I don't get the lack of belief in Khan either. Admittedly I wasn't sold on him for a while but he's really come on in the last 2-3 years. He looked good tonight against a tricky, exoerienced opponent and he made it easy.

Disappointed with how it ended but I don't think there was much hope for Judah by then, he seemed to take the easy way out he must have knew he was being counted, Unfortunately I can see the ending fueling the Khan haters more. There's people I know who still swear that Barrera had him beat if it wasn't for the clash of heads,..as much as I love Barrera it's fucking ridiculous.

I'm expecting to hear similar tomorrow, especially from my 'boxing know it all' brother in law about how Khan's a cheating bastard, only won cos he hit him in the bollocks etc etc :rolleyes:

• Paid Members

Oh yeah anyone catch the highlights of Gary Russell Jr's fight? Crazy hand speed, remind me of a young Meldrick Taylor.

I enjoyed the Fury/Chisora fight. Sloppy as fuck but fun to watch all the same. Fury will get embarrassed by the Klitschko's though. Anyone else find Fury to be an unlikable cocky fucker? There's just something about him that makes me wanna see him come unstuck and catch an arse kicking.

Hope 5 show more live boxing in the future. Live boxing on free TV can only be a positive. I never had Sky as a kid but seeing the likes of Benn, Eubank, even Frank Bruno on ITV as a kid is what got me into it and everyone knew who they were cos they were all over the TV. Now most people only know David Haye and Amir Khan the likes of Froch, Macklin etc are barely known to the general public, The more eyes it catches the better.

What a tremendous advert for british heavyweight boxing. I can't wait for the Fury vs Sprott/Harrisson/Skelton/Williams/ The Lanky Scouser From The Olympics/Bugner blockbuster.

British Heavyweight boxing is ace.

Too right!

There's people I know who still swear that Barrera had him beat if it wasn't for the clash of heads,..as much as I love Barrera it's fucking ridiculous.

I don't know about anyone who thinks that Barerra had him beat, as the clash of heads which caused the cut happened in the first, which led to Barerra being handicapped from the get-go virtually.

What some would say is that the fight should have been stopped in the 2nd, as the cut was just plain nasty. Why wait until the 5th before calling it? Some deem that a tad suspicious considering the rule about it being called a no contest if stopped early from a headbutt.

In my opinion, the fight never really got started, as the headbutt threw Barerra off his game from the start.

Khan is a good fighter, but a few of his fights have ended with controversy which will always have some calling him into question, and last night is just another to add to that list unfortunately. It will undoubtedly take away from a dominant performance.

He does have a problem with headbutts though, that much is true. I'm sure Judah, Barerra & McCloskey would agree with that.

Still, he progressing nicely, and a fight next with either Robert Guerrero or Erik Morales is next on the cards from what I hear.

Tyson Fury put in a good performance against Chisora, which will hopefully keep channel 5 interested in British boxing. The fight was far from a stinker.

I can see him doing quite well if he's smart. A fight with a Klitschko should prove interesting down the line, even if it is simply because of his size.

He should be able to make use of his Irish heritage if he decides to ever fight in the US as well. They lap that shit up.

• Paid Members
Anyone else find Fury to be an unlikable cocky fucker? There's just something about him that makes me wanna see him come unstuck and catch an arse kicking.

yeh, im the same. I want to see him lose, but he does make me want to watch him fight. That's a good quality to have in the fight game.

The Mccloskey fight did not help with Khans image over here, especially his less than humble interview after it. But from what i seen of the fight lastnight he looked very impressive. Fast as Fuck. Khan would give anybody problems, that includes Mayweather. One writer from Boxing Monthly has been saying he would fancy Khan to beat Mayweather over Pacquio. Personally i think neither would, but they would be very interesting fights.

Furys a heavy, do not really rate him but he is a great charachter, same as Chisora. He's in rubbish shape though.

I like Price - Lanky Scouser, he has looked quality in his last 2 appearances and is fighting Big Bad John Mcdermott next on Halloween night apparently.