Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

it makes you wonder what the ref is watching sometimes, the fight should have been waved off after the first knockdown. Hopefully Ruddock walks away for good now. Sad to see a 51 year old guy get KO'd cold by a guy he'd have whiped the floor with back in his day.

Tyson Fury babbling for 40 minutes, oddly listenable, he's a unique kind of bloke.

Chris Eubank (who has a long-standing grudge against the interviewer), has been complaining about the bad language on Twitter.

Fury has responded by labelling Eubank a "knob head"

No class shown by Fury as usual, praying Klitschko takes him out or better yet feed him to Joshua

• Paid Members

Fury's such a weird character. Nearly everyone in the boxing business you hear talk about him say that away from the spotlight he's as nice a guy as you'll ever meet. Then there's the Fury you see at press conferences talking shit, the Fury being a right cretin on twitter, then there's the Fury you see in things like that IFL video where he just seems to be babbling on without any real idea of what he's trying to say and contradicts every other version you hear of him.

Off the point, but if anyone had any doubts to the starpower of Anthony Joshua, the Gary Cornish fight Saturday apparently peaked with Sky's highest boxing viewing figures in over 10 years...and the Joshua/Whyte fight sold out 13,000 tickets in 3 hours. Wild.

The early buyrate is in for Mayweather/Berto, supposedly it's being very generous to say it's looking like 550k.

Obviously it wasn't going to be anywhere near his previous fight but that is shockingly low, people have obviously got tired of him and the less than enthralling choice of opponent didn't help at all.

• Paid Members

It's definitely the opponent. I like Berto but that fight was dead on arrival for me the second it was announced. And no amount of hype (as good as some of the stuff was) got me into it. I watched the fight because I've got Box Nation anyway but I wouldn't have gone out of my way to watch it. That's not good really considering we're talking about the best boxer of our generation in maybe his last fight ever. I felt nothing but apathy to the whole thing.

And it's not because I'm not interested in seeing Mayweather fight, for me it was 100% that Berto as an opponent seemed pointless. It was just giving Floyd his 49th win.

Whoever he fought it was never going to come close to the Pacquiao buyrate. Mayweather vs Pacquiao was a once in a generation thing that surpassed the boxing and combat sports bubble. It was a monster event to finally get those two in the ring. But if this fight had been against Amir Khan or a rematch with Miguel Cotto or Canelo Alvarez, it'd have done way better just because either the fights would've been more interesting (Khan's speed) or the fact that Cotto or Canelo have strong fanbases that would buy the fight for sure. Mayweather vs Berto had nothing. Fuck, even the rumoured De La Hoya return fight with Floyd would've been preferable for me. It definitely would've done better on PPV.

Bradley Saunders made a fool of himself last night. He was coming back from a 6 month lay-off because of a hand injury. His opponent Renald Garrido (14 wins, 11 losses) was supposed to be a step up in competition but it didn't go to plan. Saunders seemed comfortable for the first two rounds but Garrido who's a pressure fighter was sticking to him like glue. It didn't take long for Garrido to unrest Saunders and he was winning the following rounds. When it got to the 6th round, Garrido poured on the pressure and Saunders stumbled over and it was scored a knockdown. Garrido kept coming forward and Saunders was all over the place, at one point he was hugging the referee and Garrido thought he had won it. The referee told them them to continue, and Saunders who was on the verge of being stopped decided the only way to get out of this was to headbutt Garrido. The referee had no option but to DQ Saunders. Saunders made the excuse that his hands were hurt from the 2nd round and he couldn't throw the shots he wanted to. He was still punching through rounds 3 to 6, its just his opponent absorbed the punches and had better conditioning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptpVGD3CwbA

• Paid Members

For fuck's sake!

I can't stand Fury but I do actually feel sorry for the big prick. Every time he gets a big money fight scheduled, injuries balls it up. There was the whole David Haye thing and now this. It was the first Klitschko fight I've looked forward to in ages as well. Shit.