Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Yeah, maybe "shot" was the wrong phrase, but he certainly looked like a man in decline. He's taken a lot of punishment during his career due to his style, and most assumed that his time at the top was coming to an end.

I think they were but there's a resurgence under Freddie Roach. It needs to happen soon though.

That is true, his former coach Pedro Diaz was the Cuban national team trainer and would adopt a more technical style with his fighters.

Look out for Roman Gonzalez on the Gennady Golovkin undercard. He's undefeated in 42 fights, KO'ed 36 of them. He's a 3 weight world champion and has stopped his last 8 opponents. It will be his first time on US TV/Boxnation.

Yeah I've read on a few different sites to look out for Gonzalez. Bunce has been tweeting about him as well. Any reason why it's taken so long for him to get on telly?

He's promoted by Teiken Promotions in Japan so fights a lot over there. He's also 5'3", a flyweight and doesn't speak English. I can't remember the last time I saw a smaller fighter on HBO USA, they usually put them on the Macao cards because they don't appeal to the US market. I can see HBO trying to get Gonzalez settled because the big fight they want to get is Gonzalez vs. Naoya Inoue. He's 21, undefeated after 9 fights (8 KO's) and is already a two weight world champion. He's also promoted by Teiken Promotions so it would make sense to have the fight in Japan. But there are still a lot of other options such as Brian Viloria, Giovani Segura, a rematch with Juan Estrada or move up in weight and face Paul Butler.

• Paid Members

Well, the HBO delivered as advertised.

Roman Gonzalez was given heavy hype on the broadcast and he delivered in every way, a 2 round destruction, all action. He threw every type of punch in the book.

GGG did what he does, props to Willie Monroe though so bit down on his gumshield and threw down heavy after being dropped twice in round 2. GGG looked vunerable at times cause Monroe was landing some heavy shots, but after the fight GGG claimed he purposely allowed Monroe back into the fight to give the fans their moneys worth. Madness, HBO will sell the shit out of that kind of stuff. Monroe's final "im done" message to the ref will likely be a highlight of GGG highlights for years to come too.

A Showcase card done right.

• Paid Members

i think that's the only fight Froch would go for now Chavez has lost. DeGale is a lose-lose for me and Froch has dismissed it. GGG-Froch at Wembley would be outstanding, i still don't think it happens but it does feel like the cogs are starting to turn.

• Paid Members

anyone watching DeGale's world title challenge against Andre Dirrell tonight? Sky Sports broadcast starts at 8 so im assuming they are showing the entire PBC broadcast. DeGale's bringing that belt home.

Suzanne-TeresaPremier-Boxing-Champions-3