Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Eddie Hearn said today that Khan is looking at fighting Algeri. Khan is turning into a joke. I like watching him but he is trying to take an easy route to Mayweather, he is avoiding big hitters at all costs. Brook has won me over, i genuinally believe he wants to fight the best. Brook Thurman would be a mouth watering contest, as would brook Marquez.

Frankie Gavin is probably my least favourite boxer to watch. I think Hearn thought he could do with what he done with Degale and get him to up his game, but that isnt happening.

I had a double on Orville Mckenzie and Khomitsky.

Jim Watts greatest moment is whenMcclellan was down against Benn and he was bellowing "theres absoloutley nothing wrong with him"

• Paid Members

yeh Khan/Algieri underwhelmed just about everyone i think. If there was no better offers on the table and Khan was coming off a defeat i'd understand it but taking a fight against a guy who just got destroyed by Manny Pacquiao just seems like a step backwards. The only thing i thing i can is that Khan's looking for an easy win against a 'name' that could possibly leave him in the prime position for a shot at Pacquiao/Mayweather. As a fight, Khan/Algieri could be quality though.

Anyone catch last nights fights? Stevenson looked fairly routine against Sakio Bika, i was a bit disappointed that Bika didn't go at Stevenson a little wilder, but i guess the power put a stop to that. Despite Stevenson's dynamite left hand i still think Kovalev beats him handily if that fight ever happens.

Anthony Joshua cruised to another stoppage against an out-matched Jason Gavern. Bit of a warm up for the Kevin Johnson fight which marks as Joshua's first real step up, i see him handling the lazy as fuck Johnson with little trouble though. The buzz is growing for Joshua though, everyone seems to be on the hype train.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Joshua's quality. Bags of potential and likeable with it. Seems really switched on and refreshingly honest about his progress as well. He seems very level headed and mature whereas a lot of young boxers in his position as the next British heavyweight star and all that, all the hype on him...a lot would let that stuff go to their head.

Joshua vs Fury could be a huge domestic fight in a couple of years. And I'd love to see Joshua deck the Desperate Dan chinned prick. That would be sweet.

• Paid Members

the perception of Joshua is what interests me. Lots of casual type fans i work with already believe Anthony Joshua is the best heavyweight in the world, despite the fact that he hasn't fought anyone anywhere near considered a top 10 fighter. People seem to latch onto Joshua cause he looks the part as well as his boxing ability. I always find casual style fans have a hard time supporting fighters who don't come in with a ripped physique.

I think Joshua needs and wants to fight better fighters now. He hasn't being remotely tested yet. If you're at World level and knocking people out for fun, I'm sure it's great. It's probably a pain in the arse when you're in great condition and only doing a few rounds.

That Travis Dickinson knockout last night was a nasty one. He looked fucked.

I found this in passing on the BBC iPlayer. Its a documentary from BBC Wales about past Welsh boxers from the Valleys and it follows Liam Willams as he fights for the Commonwealth belt.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05p716w/the-valleys-fighter

I was looking up more about one of the featured fighters, Johnny Owen & I found this BBC documentary where his dad goes to Mexico to meet Lupe Pintor who accidentally killed him in the ring.

• Paid Members

I think that doc was brought up in this thread at some point. I saw it a while back. Remember it being good but very sad viewing despite the sort of feel-good ending.

The lasting memory I have of the documentary was the footage of the punch that effectively killed Owen. I just remember it looking really devastating and the way Owen just crumbled to the mat was scary. That's with hindsight and knowing he died of course, but I imagine even the people watching at the time were worried right away. It was just one of those knockouts that looked really bad.

I always find footage like that really disturbing to watch. Same with the end of the tragic Mancini vs Kim fight. The most horrifying clip of a death in the ring for me though, was the Emile Griffith vs Benny Paret fight from the 60s. I haven't seen much boxing from that era, aside from some early Ali, but I think I saw the footage of this fight on a documentary about black fighters or rivalries or something.

Anyway, for anyone unfamiliar with the story, there was bad blood going into the fight with Paret repeatedly using gay slurs. In the 12th round, after a back and forth fight where Peret almost won by stoppage, Griffith got him trapped in the corner and just went to town with combinations. The referee was ridiculously late stepping in, just standing there watching. And Paret was out and literally being held up by Griffith's punches. When the ref finally stopped it, Paret just slowly slid down to the canvas. It was probably the most scary and disturbing thing I've seen in a boxing ring. I only saw it once and I kind of regretted it.

griffith_opera3-530x317.jpg

I didn't know until now but there's actually a documentary covering this called 'Ring Of Fire: The Emile Griffith Story', which sounds similar to the Johnny Owen and the Mancini 'Good Son' docs, with Griffith meeting Paret's son. Could be worth a look.

Found the doc;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=HZtEqy0MMbc

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Yep, we've discussed the Johnny Owen doc before. Heartbreaking stuff.

There's a Johnny Owen statue in Merthyr town center, always pay my quiet respects when i pass it.

• Paid Members

Apparently Showtime turned down the Khan/Algieri fight, Khan is now stating that the fight was never confirmed despite the fact that he announced it, hmmmm...

Looks like we may get a Kell Brook/Frankie Gavin fight on May 30th at the o2...not sure what to make of that.

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members

Eddie Hearn has confirmed its Brook/Gavin on May 30th. It's a box office show on top of Joshua/Johnson, Mitchell/Linares & Selby/Gradovich.

To say boxing fans aren't happy with it being a PPV is an understatement.

Being fair they tried to sell the "Bomber" who can't punch hard and the "athlete" who barely threw a punch and was gassed after 8 rounds on PPV, they were two bums and barely a decent undercard, this has couple of world title fights on undercard of main event but still not worth PPV status, it's the usuao farce Hearn serves up, should put Quigg on it too and have him defend his fake belt, complete the set.

• Paid Members

Each fight on the PPV should headline a Saturday night show over a month or two. Brook/Gavin is very intriguing but doesn't hold up as a main event on a PPV.

I said it at end of last year, Matchroom/Sky have been dogshit for last 18 month. These Hull/Newcastle/Leeds shows are fucking honking. It's proper starved off actual quality. You might get lucky and a decent scrap but it's outside nightclub quality fighters.

Edited by Fox Piss

Joshua isnt even on the PPV card, Johnson has pulled out so Joshua has been moved to the Birmingham card.

Good couple of fights on Boxnation in the early hours of Sunday. Lee v Quillan and Garcia v Peterson. Hopefully Lee knocks Quillan out and i imagine Garcia to win then move up to 147, this fight is at a catchweight of 143 with no title on the line. Lee Quillan also a non title match as Quillan failed to make weight. Boxing is ridiculous at times.

Edited by Porkchopcash