Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
what the shows have is really show how big the fight is though, the crowds at them press tour gatherings have been massive. I love the little side-plot beween Mayweather & De La Hoya as well.

Canelo seems like a good egg.

Yeah, but all of these have that, don't they? It's pretty much the same stuff we're getting every time. Don't get me wrong, it's probably good promotional material, but it's a bit dull when you've watched all of the others.

What do you want them to do? Make stuff up?

what the shows have is really show how big the fight is though, the crowds at them press tour gatherings have been massive. I love the little side-plot beween Mayweather & De La Hoya as well.

Canelo seems like a good egg.

Yeah, but all of these have that, don't they? It's pretty much the same stuff we're getting every time. Don't get me wrong, it's probably good promotional material, but it's a bit dull when you've watched all of the others.

That's probably because Ross Greenburg who produced the HBO 24/7 series now does Showtime's All Access. If episode 2 is anything to go by, its starting to get better. Shane Mosley made an appearance with his monkey. Floyd and Oscar have reignited their feud which goes into episode 3 and you've got the training techniques and extra curricular activities. They're more like mini reality shows now.

I had a look at the Face Off between Juan Manuel Marquez & Timothy Bradley. Bradley was saying he got a concussion from the Provodnikov fight and it took him two months to stop slurring his speech.

• Paid Members
I had a look at the Face Off between Juan Manuel Marquez & Timothy Bradley. Bradley was saying he got a concussion from the Provodnikov fight and it took him two months to stop slurring his speech.

Jesus, that's worrying. Might sound dramatic but I'd just get out if I was him. Everyone wants to make money but what good is it if you've fucked your health up beyond repair? He seems an intelligent enough guy from the bits I've seen and read and he's got young kids hasnt he? If you're noticing your speech slurring and stuff like that at this stage its probably time to think about an exit strategy from boxing. You can't piss about where your brain is concerned.

Is Carl Froch going on Dancing On Ice/Strictly Come Dancing or one of them shows? I came in earlier and my girlfriend had the Midlands news on and there was Froch mincing about. Looked hilarious, he seemed well into it. But my girlfriend talked over it so I didn't hear what it was about.

Theres a new show on itv where celebrities dance with their partners an get critiqued by mel b and the gay bloke with the hair weave from ice dancing, hes on that. Strictly is quality i think its itvs rival prog.

Bought boxing news yesterday, great mag, it has a peice on morrison - in capitals his family stress he didnt die from aids. Good bits from froch an groves in there. Groves having a dig at him for the shit dancing program hes on.

It also says that box nation has a new main backer, one of the richest men in the uk - he owns rainham steel who sponsor bn. Apparently theyr upping their game this yr with the big fights. Because of this sky have upped theres and are shiwing - stevenson cloud / brad marquez /alvarado prodnikov and the cotto fight.

Great peice on bowe as well.

Burns late stoppage tm? Thats what alot are predicting.

On a side note. In boxing monthly this month a few experts are picking fury over haye. The closer it gets the more i am as well. Its definately very very interesting.

Speaking of Mayweather, his Uncle Roger has brought out a new single. Enjoy

That is awesome.

Indeed, I fucking love the Mayweathers.

Floyd vs Alverez could be something very special as a spectacle. As a fight, I like Floyd to win quite handily on points.

Edited by jimufctna24

On a side note. In boxing monthly this month a few experts are picking fury over haye. The closer it gets the more i am as well. Its definately very very interesting.

I also think that Fury is dismissed far too easily here. Sure, he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but he can throw leather. It'll be an interesting fight.

• Paid Members

i cant see anything other than Fury being pole-axed.

Looking forward to the Burns fight, apparently hes stated hes gonna stand and trade with Beltran, whos known as a big puncher. Should be good, i think Ricky is looking for a big performance after his last fight.

And ill say it again, Boxnation needs to go HD!!!

• Paid Members

Off-topic, but I've been doing a bit of boxing practice recently, to keep up fitness, and I've found I rather prefer using flicker jabs to regular ones. My technique wasn't brilliant, so in addition to asking some PT mates, I also looked up some videos on Youtube, specifically with the intent to see how Hearns threw them.

Anyway, that inevitably brought me to "The War" between Hearns and Hagler, and I have to say: FUCK. Just FUCK. I'd not seen much of Hagler before, but I see why wand's a fan - Hearns was obviously brilliant with his technical boxing, and I'm still a fan, but Hagler was just something else, like a destroyer going at 50 knots, all guns blazing. Fast, compact, precise, and, most of all, hard-hitting.

I'm gonna check me out some more Hagler this weekend.

• Paid Members

Hagler was brilliant. He was before my time really. I wasn't even 2 years old when he had his last fight. But once I got interested in boxing it didn't take long until I knew who he was. My uncle was big into boxing and when he used to tape WWF PPVs for me when we never had Sky in the early-mid 90s, he'd fill the the rest of the tape with either WWF TV or old 80s boxing he'd recorded over the years. That's how I first saw Hagler. He was smashing through some poor sod, I can't even remember which fight it was, but I just remember thinking this had to be the hardest man on earth. Back then I thought Nigel Benn was the black Superman, but after watching Marvelous Marv I feared for Benn's life if they ever fought. Of course, Hagler had been retired years by the time I watched this recording so Benn was spared the thrashing I was so sure he'd get. I asked my uncle to tape Hagler's next fight for me and I was disappointed when he told me there wouldn't be one.

He was granite though. Excellent technical boxing, KO power in both hands, quick, great defence, ridiculous chin (only knocked down once in a 60 odd fight career), great look, great name, wore a cap that said 'WAR' on it. He was mega intense. Just a fighting machine.

If you're watching old Hagler stuff, I can't recommend the John Mugabe fight enough. It's right up there with the Hearns three rounds of mayhem for me. They're Hagler's two best fights easy. And Hagler had loads of great fights, that Mugabe one was something else though. I'd give the Leonard fight a watch as well if you get time. One of the most debated decisions in boxing history. I wish they'd had a rematch.

Burns vs Beltran ahould be good tonight. Burns got something to prove after not such a good display in his last fight against Gonzalez. Beltran more known for sparring with Pacquiao for big fights, but as we saw with Provodnikov who also been used in build up for fights by Pacquiao these guys can fight. I'm expecting Burns to come through comfortably enough with maybe a dodgy moment or two to win by last stoppage or a points decision.

The Mayweather bill is one of the best boxing PPV's ever put together. We get May vs Canelo, Garcia vs Matthyse and Smith vs Molina all world title fights on the same night is impressive. The 14th is going to be one of he best boxing nights off all time, I can't wait for it. Boxing in the next few months is shaping up to be amazing with so many big, fun fights confirmed.

Bought boxing news yesterday, great mag, it has a peice on morrison - in capitals his family stress he didnt die from aids.

As far as I'm aware, you don't die from aids or being HIV positive. That's the strain of the virus that will target parts of your body and will eventually shut down vital organs. In Morrison's case it was a heart attack from a blood infection.

He was granite though. Excellent technical boxing, KO power in both hands, quick, great defence, ridiculous chin (only knocked down once in a 60 odd fight career), great look, great name, wore a cap that said 'WAR' on it. He was mega intense. Just a fighting machine.

I was watching a doc on Hagler and they said they had done a head scan on him for whatever reason. When they looked at the results, the muscle between his cranium and scalp was so thick, it was like he was wearing a NFL helmet for protection.