Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

BoxNation's got Marcos Maidana vs Josesito Lopez on June 8th. And Broner vs Malignaggi on the 22nd. As well as this Chisora Wembley card on the 15th, June's looking good. Can't wait for Maidana vs Lopez.

Forgot that Burns/Gonzalez is on tonight for the WBO title at 135lbs. Should be a good fight, only seen a couple of fights off Gonzales, but he does carry some power so Burns will have to be careful. I was very impressed with Burns in his last fight against Mitchell, the move up in weight has gone well and he looked so powerful in that fight. I think he'll prove too strong here as well, either wide points decision or late stoppage win.

BoxNation's got Marcos Maidana vs Josesito Lopez on June 8th. And Broner vs Malignaggi on the 22nd. As well as this Chisora Wembley card on the 15th, June's looking good. Can't wait for Maidana vs Lopez.

Mikey Garcia vs. JuanMa Lopez was booked a couple of days ago for June 15th. I can't see JuanMa having much luck with that one. Garcia easily beat Salido, who TKO'ed Lopez twice.

Burns somehow turned that around. I wonder if Gonzalez really has broke his hand, it looked like he quit on his stool after blowing his load in round seven trying to knock Burns out. His trainer can't believe it. Burns has got away with that through sheer heart and determination.

That's what I don't get, he didn't look like he was ready to go down in the 9th round, he was still moving and throwing punches. I went to the toilet at the end of that round and came back to see Burns held aloft with the belt. I thought he had knocked Gonzalez out because he was tiring but quitting because of a problem with his wrist was a bit strange. The judges scorecards were all tied at 87-84 to Gonzalez, so if he ran for the last 3 rounds it would of only got him a draw, but its better than quitting when he was tired.

In what looked like a close fight on the undercard. John Simpson took a home decision over Choi Tseveenpurev with a 3, 4 & 5 point swing on the judges card. Simpson's camp thought they had won the fight because they put the belt on Simpson before the judges had even given out the scores.

Few thoughts on the McDonnell/Ceja card.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

First off the Keepmoat Stadium was very bare for the fights. There must of been a maximum of 1500 people there. The promoter getting his daughter to do karaoke to Plan B before the title fight was odd and embarrassing.

The first fight I saw, Sergio Perales vs. Stuart Hall was fairly close but Perales looked the slicker boxer, a lot more aggressive and landed better shots. I had him narrowly in front at the end. So when the judges scored came in, 117-111 x2 & 115-113. Perales had his hands aloft and Hall was looking forlorn. When they gave the decision to Hall, he looked like he had shit himself, then he pretended in the post fight interview that he had won it, whilst Perales was pissed knowing he had been completely robbed. I felt sorry for the lad. He's come all the way to Doncaster, fighting in front of nobody, next to nobody watching on PPV, freezing cold and he gets shafted in a fight he should of won.

I have to take my hat of to Jamie McDonnell he boxed a superb fight, neutralising Julio Ceja with slick movement and strong crisp shots. Ceja's KO record now looks like it was puffed up against weak chinned opposition because he did little damage to McDonnell. Ceja had good flashes of brilliance but he couldn't sustain pressure on McDonnell for a great period of time. The body shots he had banked in the early rounds didn't really have much of an effect when it got to the championship rounds. There was the 11th round which was touch and go because Ceja came flying and rocked him but didn't have enough power for a knockdown. John Rawlings & Jamie Moore on commentary were as dreadful as usual. Biased as anything, they literally would not speak when Ceja was on the attack. Then when McDonnell hit a shot, it was met with high acclaim.

His promoter, Dennis Hobson at the end was talking about now they've got a world title its the great bargaining tool to get fights on HBO and Showtime. Maybe on the undercard TV show but with no name value there's no way you're getting on PPV, look what happened to Cleverly against Shawn Hawk.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Burns was very lucky. Gonzalez looke like he never recovered from not knocking Burns out in round 7.

Lucky? Gonzalez threw everything he had at Burns in those first seven rounds and couldn't put him away. When that little battle happened in the 7th you saw Burns catching him hard and Gonzalez sagged and had to hold on. He was never the same from then.

It just goes to show that you can be as slick and skillful as you like, but if your opponent has a good chin and won't stop coming after you then you're going to have to dig deep. Gonzalez couldn't do that. If he hadn't quit on his stool he would likely have been stopped.

Well done Ricky Burns!

• Paid Members

unbelievable fight, for 7 rounds Ricky Burns was having a boxing lesson but there's no breaking the guy. The 7th round was the round of the year, just amazing action.

I think Gonzalez quit through a combination of a busted hand and knowing that he had nothing left, he'll no doubt regret it for the rest of his life but Burns showed why he's a world champion, you've gotta be able to grit your teeth and work through the tough times.

Ricky Burns should be the most popular fighter in the country, so likable and displays all the characteristics that casual fans want to see in boxing, yet he remains a bit of an unknown commodity outside of Scotland and the hardcore boxing fanbase...dude should be on the back pages.

After a slightly anti-climatic Mayweather event last weekend i needed a boxing pick-me-up and i got it last night. The undercard was good too, Choi/Simpson was good shit.

unbelievable fight, for 7 rounds Ricky Burns was having a boxing lesson but there's no breaking the guy. The 7th round was the round of the year, just amazing action.

I think Gonzalez quit through a combination of a busted hand and knowing that he had nothing left, he'll no doubt regret it for the rest of his life but Burns showed why he's a world champion, you've gotta be able to grit your teeth and work through the tough times.

Ricky Burns should be the most popular fighter in the country, so likable and displays all the characteristics that casual fans want to see in boxing, yet he remains a bit of an unknown commodity outside of Scotland and the hardcore boxing fanbase...dude should be on the back pages.

After a slightly anti-climatic Mayweather event last weekend i needed a boxing pick-me-up and i got it last night. The undercard was good too, Choi/Simpson was good shit.

Very true mate.

Burns should be a national treasure really, I suppose he his in certain parts of Scotland.

He seems a really decent bloke, very down to earth, honest and very likeable.

• Paid Members

Very true mate.

Burns should be a national treasure really, I suppose he his in certain parts of Scotland.

He seems a really decent bloke, very down to earth, honest and very likeable.

Does he still work at Greaves Sports? I remember after his first couple of defences of his world title a big deal was made that he still worked in a sports shop.