Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

For anyone who hasn't seen it..

Here's the 48 Hours documentary on the death of Arturo Gatti from a while ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3KmhFOTv6A

Really interesting but a tragic story. Gatti is one of my top 2 or 3 favourite boxers ever and he was involved in so many of my favourite fights over the years. Not just the Ward trilogy but his fights with Ivan Robinson, Tracy Harris Patterson, Wilson Rodriguez, Gabriel Ruelas. All fantastic fights.

I still remember how shocked I was when I heard he died. The same month Alexis Arguello and Vernon Forrest died aswell. What was a shitty month, 3 of the nicest guys in the sport all gone in roughly a 30 day stretch.

Edited by wandshogun09

Thanks for posting that, i'll watch that later. Yeh Gatti is one of my top 5 ever as well, it was the Ward fights which got me in to him. I kind of lost out on a lot of boxing from 2000-4 other than the really big fights, as they were my main sessioning days. But it's great watching all the fights i missed out on on yt.

I have read that alverez may fight either Williams or Mayorga. I would prefere to see the Williams fight myself. Either way i think him along with Chavez will be matched carefully for the next few fights just to rake in the money.

If the boxing news 2011 annual is still on sale i would reccomend it to anyone, it has a 40 or so pages on the 4 kings, with all the original reports on the fights at the time.

heres a quality clip i was sent the other day, it's not that recent but it's funny. I would watch the whole clip from start to finish. This guy is the new Naz.

• Paid Members

Haha yeah I know what you mean about the forums. There are some right plonkers populating the boards which is a big reason why I've still not signed up yet. I find East Side good to read though, there's some decent posters on there among the twats which every forum has. Buncey posts on there sometimes aswell, I've enjoyed seeing him get wound up about Max Kellerman and debating about BoxNation on there.

Thanks for the link to that site aswell, just had a quick look and it looks brilliant. Bookmarked it, got a feeling that will be one of my regular daily visits.

If Mayweather vs Martinez comes off this year I'll be chuffed. That fight might not have the buzz and history around it like the Pacman fight but stylistically it's just as, if not a more interesting fight in my opinion.

• Paid Members

Ha yeah forgot that one.

Dunno if it's just a joke by the posters or if his name is actually banned from use over there. On Sherdog they censor MMABay if anyone types it, not sure why but I think someone posted news from there that turned out to be false so it's not seen as a credible source. Maybe "Allegedly" has had some problem with East Side.

Good win for Nonito Donaire last night. He controlled the fight to start with but Vazquez Jr. came back for a couple of rounds using mostly his jab to deter Donaire's punching combo's. Donaire came back strong and hit Vazquez with a 3 punch combo to score a knockdown and largely controlled the rest of the fight. Late on they said Donaire had broken his hand in one of the earlier rounds and this was confirmed when he took his glove off and his hand-wrap was covered in blood.

Anyway, 2 of the judges scored it 117 - 110 to Donaire whilst the the 3rd judge, Ruben Garcia had it 115 - 112 for Vazquez. Then when HBO reeled off the punching stats it made the third decision even more shocking. Donaire landed 68 more normal punches with a 42% connection rate. Donaire threw and landed about 80 more power punches with a 60% connection rate.

Donaire's main weakness still looks like his defence. When Vazquez dropped his defence & started throwing more punches, that was Donaire's point to unleash his combo's and let them connect. But he seemed to lose focus and couldn't take it to the next step which was probably the knockout.

• Paid Members
Tyson Fury has given up British/Commonwealth Titles to focus on getting a world title fight - Is this his way of ducking David Price then

From news i have read it seems that way. Didn't his promoter say he put down a deposit for MSG in May?

• Moderators
Tyson Fury has given up British/Commonwealth Titles to focus on getting a world title fight - Is this his way of ducking David Price then

I'd say so, Price would muller him.

Personally I'm looking forward to Tyson Fury fighting a REAL champion. The one and only Audley Harrison, which is bound to go on Channel 5 with giant ratings if A-Force beats Ali Adams.