Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
the geezer who said boxing isnt a sport a few posts up - i would like him to explain a sport to me....

I think it's easier to list the ways in which boxing is a sport than explain how it isn't, they're so innumerable but here's one; there are four main world sanctioning bodies and none of them are trustworthy or have a shred of credibility.

i read a thing in Boxing Monthly yesterday that says something like 'The WBO recognise 17 weight divisions, yet they have 35 world champions' or something similar, how the hell does that work!?!

• Paid Members
Ward vs Froch was decent. Not the barnburner I was hoping for though. Ward did pretty much what I expected, closing the distance and not letting Froch fight at his range. I thought Froch would be able to drag him into a scrap for some of the fight at least but Ward did a great job of smothering Froch's work and made him look very ordinary for most of the fight. It wasn't the most exciting fight to watch but the one sidedness of it was pretty impressive from Ward's end. The last 2 rounds he looked pretty knackered though so cardio is probably gonna need some work.

I dunno how 2 of the judges had it 115-113. Didn't think it was that close to be fair. Nice to see Froch take the loss in good spirits.

yeh, what i didn't like about it was it seems Froch 100% believed what he was saying pre-fight about Ward not being able to hurt him, and roughing Ward up if he tried any funny shit. Then when they got in the ring it was Ward bullied Froch around the ring and landed hard shots all night whilst Froch couldn't put a glove on Ward. Frustrating to watch as a Carl Froch fan, but he got taught abit of a lesson.

Them scorecards were all to fuck.

Andre Ward might become something pretty special though...he's walked through the Super Six with relative ease.

• Paid Members

Short clip of Roberto Duran in Rocky 2 as Rocky's sparring partner

Was this common knowledge? I've seen this film loads of times and had no idea he was in this.

Stallone said ring realism occasionally led to trouble in the filming of Rocky II. One of his sparring partners, for example, was former lightweight champion Roberto Duran.

"A few times, it got out of control," he said. "You're sparring and you say to yourself, 'Hey, maybe I can go with this guy.' Then you trade a few shots, and you realize you're an actor again."

:laugh:

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Saul Alvarez vs Shane Mosley is in the works for April 21st.

I fancy Canelo to win that, Mosley will have been out a year by fight time and I really don't think he has another performance like he pulled against Margarito in him. That plus Alvarez is the baddest ginger Mexican on the planet and I don't like Mosley's chances.

the geezer who said boxing isnt a sport a few posts up - i would like him to explain a sport to me....

I think it's easier to list the ways in which boxing is a sport than explain how it isn't, they're so innumerable but here's one; there are four main world sanctioning bodies and none of them are trustworthy or have a shred of credibility.

i read a thing in Boxing Monthly yesterday that says something like 'The WBO recognise 17 weight divisions, yet they have 35 world champions' or something similar, how the hell does that work!?!

Boxing has gone interim champion crazy. What started as an exercise to allow champions time to recuperate from injuries is now used when champions are healthy. When somebody signals they may move weights, they crown an interim champion. When somebody signals they may unify titles, they crown an interim champion. It's worse in the WBA where they have Super Champions, regular champions and interim champions.

As I said, no credibility at all.

Saul Alvarez vs Shane Mosley is in the works for April 21st.

I fancy Canelo to win that, Mosley will have been out a year by fight time and I really don't think he has another performance like he pulled against Margarito in him. That plus Alvarez is the baddest ginger Mexican on the planet and I don't like Mosley's chances.

Hardly the most insightful analysis this, but Mosley is finished. This will probably just be a final payday for him.

Boxing has gone interim champion crazy. What started as an exercise to allow champions time to recuperate from injuries is now used when champions are healthy. When somebody signals they may move weights, they crown an interim champion. When somebody signals they may unify titles, they crown an interim champion. It's worse in the WBA where they have Super Champions, regular champions and interim champions.

As I said, no credibility at all.

The WBA are the worst for me, closely followed by the WBC. Out of the 17 weight classes, they have three 'champions' in six divisions, two 'champions' in 10 divisions, and Light-Heavyweight is the only one where they just have a single champion.

As another example, there are six official belt holders at Middleweight, yet not one of them belongs to THE Middleweight champion of the world, Sergio Martinez. No wonder boxing is down the shitter.

Personally I like the HBO way of thinking in not mentioning these various sanctioning bodies, simple referring to it as a 'title fight' if a belt is on the line and only using the term 'world champion' if they actually are.

Ages and ages ago, I said that the only credible world title at any weight is the IBO World Heavyweight Title. They put it on Lennox Lewis, the undisputed heavyweight champion at the time, and it passed to Rahman and then back to Lewis. Lewis retired and they put it on Klitschko two years later after he beat Chris Byrd, which they felt was a fight between the the top 2 in the division at that time.

As far as world titles go, I usually just go with the RING belts. The following is taken from their wikipedia page;

In 2002, The Ring attempted to clear up the confusion regarding world champions by creating a championship policy. It echoed many critics' arguments that the sanctioning bodies in charge of boxing championships had undermined the sport by pitting undeserving contenders against undeserving "champions", and forcing the boxing public to see mismatches for so-called "world championships". The Ring attempts to be more authoritative and open than the sanctioning bodies' rankings, with a page devoted to full explanations for ranking changes. A fighter pays no sanctioning fees to defend or fight for the title at stake, contrary to practices of the sanctioning bodies. Furthermore, a fighter cannot be stripped of the title unless he loses, decides to move to another weight division, or retires.

There are currently only two ways that a boxer can win The Ring's title: defeat the reigning champion; or win a box-off between the magazine's number-one and number-two rated contenders (or, sometimes, number-one and number-three rated). A vacant Ring championship is filled when the number-one contender in a weight-division battles the number-two contender or the number-three contender (in cases where The Ring determines that the number-two and number-three contenders are close in abilities and records).

Their current list of title holders is as follows;

Heavyweight champion - Wladimir Klitschko

Cruiserweight Champion - Vacant

Light-Heavyweight Champion - Bernard Hopkins

Super-Middleweight Champion - Andre Ward

Middleweight Champion - Sergio Martinez

Junior-Middleweight Champion - Vacant

Welterweight Champion - Vacant

Junior-Welterweight Champion - Vacant

Lightweight Champion - Juan-Manual Marquez

Junior-Lightweight Champion - Vacant

Featherweight Champion - Vacant

I guess the amount of titles currently deemed vacant by The Ring is testament to the amount of fucking around going on in boxing at present with regards to the different belts. Still, the champions who are recognised are difficult to argue with.

I view the Ring belts as the least-flawed rather than the best. The ratings are still subjective and somewhat biased towards American fighters. However, you're right, across the weight classes they're the best we have.

I still would love to see somebody come up with a deal with Boxrec to use their data and create a fully computerised, unbiased ranking/championship system. How it could be done, I'm not sure.

• Paid Members

belts don't really hold much importance when it comes to me wanting to see a fight. Its gotten to the point where i just wanna see certain fights, i'd love for them to clear it up but it aint going to happen.

oh, on an unrelated note i just bagged some tickets for Nathan Cleverley's homecoming fight in Cardiff in February. Probably be against some bum mandatory challenger but it'll still be worth a look.

• Paid Members
belts don't really hold much importance when it comes to me wanting to see a fight. Its gotten to the point where i just wanna see certain fights, i'd love for them to clear it up but it aint going to happen.

oh, on an unrelated note i just bagged some tickets for Nathan Cleverley's homecoming fight in Cardiff in February. Probably be against some bum mandatory challenger but it'll still be worth a look.

Same here. I'm kinda past caring about the alphabet titles now and just wanna see some great fights.

They're talking about stepping Cleverly up by the end of 2012. Apparently Warren is talking to WBA champ Shumenov and Cleverly's been mentioning wanting fights with Hopkins or Dawson by the end of the year.

So yeah the Feb fight will probably be someone who won't give him much trouble but it's always worth going if you can get tickets. Good stuff.

Ages and ages ago, I said that the only credible world title at any weight is the IBO World Heavyweight Title. They put it on Lennox Lewis, the undisputed heavyweight champion at the time, and it passed to Rahman and then back to Lewis. Lewis retired and they put it on Klitschko two years later after he beat Chris Byrd, which they felt was a fight between the the top 2 in the division at that time.

Only credible becaus LL and Wlad made it credible. Look at who held it before then...

• Paid Members
Short clip of Roberto Duran in Rocky 2 as Rocky's sparring partner

Was this common knowledge? I've seen this film loads of times and had no idea he was in this.

:laugh:

"If you can catch him, you can catch Creed easy"

rocky-ii-roberto-duran.jpg

Funnily enough, Duran billed himself as "Rocky Duran" for a little while up until he ripped the WBA Lightweight title from Ken Buchanan in 1972. After that, he went through a phase of calling himself "Super Man" also. As far as I'm concerned, he can call himself Andre the Giant if he likes, I love the man (although I don't rank him the best ever, he's in my top 5 P4P.)

I've been offline for a while, my laptop contracted AIDS or something similar. My god, there's been some serious discussion going on while I've been away....

Titles and sanctioning bodies ;

Whilst I agree that there is absolute madness going on in this area, I would like to point out that this is nothing new. This is something which has been going on for a long, long time, even as far as back to the 1940's. Around that time, each State athletic commission or governing body recognised their own "World" Champion, and the New York State Athletic Commision was not only one of the worst perpatrators (sp?), but also the most powerful boxing organisation in the world , rivaled only by the National Sporting Club, which later became the British Boxing Board of Control.

With the New York area being the centre of the boxing world back then, the NYSAC held a stranglehold on the sport and the vast majority of it's box-office attractions. Not only would there be some strange goings on within America between all of the different area commissions, but situations would develop where promoters over here in the UK would become very frustrated with the Yanks and all of their skull duggery, along with their extreme reluctance to allow any of their "World" champions to defend titles over here (mainly due to the different scoring system and referee being the only judge of fights) so the British promoters on many occassions created their own "World" title. One promoter in particular called Jack Solomons was very partial to doing this, so much so, that the lineage of the titles he created are still referenced to this day as "Solomons title", or something similar.

It is because of situations like those, which are to blame for legitimatley brilliant, all-time great fighters from the UK such as Len Harvey forever having an asterisk next to their names which read "Jack Solomons title", thus taking the shine from their brilliance through no fault of their own. Anyway, I'm rambling on again now, but the point I'm making, is that this has been going on for a long, long time, but when you have great fighters in great fights, contesting these titles no matter how bogus they are, that's what it's all about.

Since 2000 onwards, things have really began to get out of control as far as Alphabet soup goes, but a fair share of the blame must rest on the shoulders of certain TV networks, for offering more money to broadcast certain fights which had things like "WBU" attatched to it.

One of the best examples, is the classic battle from everybody's favourite British rivalry - Benn Vs Eubank. After Benn's defeat to Michael Watson, he went to America and bagged himself a WBO Middleweight title, which the British Boxing Board of Control refused to recognise, and only agreed to approve of this title when they saw the amount of money to be made by staging a World title fight between these two rivals who the British public were begging to see fight eachother. I encourage everyone to go and look at all of the press coverage and boxing trade magazines from the time of their first fight, and you will see all of the many articles and reader's letters attatched to the Benn Vs Eubank fight and the "bogus" title which they were fighting for.

There has been many great fights which have been attatched to a seemingly bogus championship, Arturo Gatti Vs Mickey Ward 1 being one of them, along with Mickey Ward Vs Shea Neary.

Anyway, this is a discussion about World level boxing. That aside, no matter how ridiculous the Alphabet situation is, there is still the mountain of prestige which goes with something like a British title fight and the pursuit of a Lord Lonsdale Challenge belt.

That's just a quick post in response to keep the debate going, I've got a few things to get off my chest and some interesting stuff to post regarding a few hot topics in boxing, some of it rather shocking, which I haven't had a chance to share with anyone since I've been offline.

I'll be back in a couple of hours, Merry Christmas.