DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

an example of non-fans is this: i was talking to a workmate the other day who said he saw the trailer for Max Payne, he said 'it looked pretty cool until that dragon thing turned up at the end, then it looked abit weird'. Obviously he'd seen the game, he'd have known what it was (i aint got a clue what it was either, ive never played Max Payne, i guess it was the bad guy?).

They're never gonna make sense to everyone.

I don't remember those things ever being in the games. Other than references to 'The fear that gives men wings', fallen angels and things like that related to the drug Valkyr (including the drug ending up like being a demon ride to hell). I guess they decided to take that part literally.

Not sure if the film is any good, will probably rent it when it's out on DVD, though they seem to have gotten the perma-snow atmosphere right. Don't think Walhberg was the right choice to play Max Payne. Even though other than the fact he's not famous enough, I still don't see why they couldn't have gotten James McCaffrey to play Max Payne, and just put a bigger star/a few more bigger stars elsewhere in the film.

From a Max Payne fan's point of view though, one of the biggest crimes in the trailer/preview shows that I can see is that they cast Ludacris as this guy:

04122401.jpg

Edited by jerichoholictufcfan

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members
Streetfighter remains the biggest abomination. I'd take any of Uwe Boll's efforts over that. They set Guile as the main character, had Ryu and Ken as a sideshow, reinvented Blanka's history, made Sagat a puny businessman, Dee-Jay an I.T. desk-jockey and did just about every other conceivable thing imagineable to make fans of the games loathe it. To compound this, they delivered a movie that sucked balls on every other level. The only redeeming feature of that whole movie for me is that their Vega is kick-ass. That's it. That Raul Julia wasted any of his time on it is a travesty.

Blasphemy! Street Fighter is one of the funniest films ever. The plot makes no sense, the acting is dreadful but it's so charmingly bad I can watch it over and over. Van Damme (with a US flag tattooed on his arm) as Guile, Julia hamming it up to Alan Rickman/Sherriff of Nottingham levels, Ryu & Ken as conmen, the boxer who keeps his gloves on the whole movie, KYLIE FUCKIN MINOGUE, the ending group pose...it's all genuis. And the fact that it's written and directed by the guy who did all the biggest cheesy action fillms in the 80's-90's means every single line in it is some terrible Commando-esque bullshit.

"The day I came to your village and massacred your whole family was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was just a Tuesday!"

Pfft, I dont' think she's even in it. I thought I'd have heard about it if she was. I watched all of The OC, Jumper and I even watched "The Last Kiss" god damn it. I went and checked, and I think you lied to me Rockwell!

Mila Kunis is purdy enough but I struggle with her horrible voice and the fact that said voice is too strongly tied to Meg Griffin. I preferred the ginger one in That 70s show, does that make me a bad person?

Yes because she's built like a dude. The blonde hair helped, but I'd still take Kitty Foreman over her though.

• Paid Members

I forgot about that "for me it was just.. Tuesday" line. OK, so it has two redeeming features.

As for Ludacris, well.. Eddie Murphy plays a guy who looks almost exactly like that in "Coming to America" so don't give up hope yet.

• Paid Members

There is no Rachel Bilson in Forgetting Sarah Marshall, just the gorgeous Mila Kunis.

forgetting-sarah-marshall.jpg

I would murder my own mother for this woman.

The only redeeming feature of that whole movie for me is that their Vega is kick-ass. That's it.

Vega only gets two lines in that film. Hes the best character in that whole franchise, two lines! I saw the animated SF movie ab out a year ago and Vega has a mental fight with Chun-Li in her apartment. Fantastic stuff, thats the way to do it.

I would also like to add that I have always despised the Max Payne games and dont understand their success at all, I'm glad the movie has been torn to pieces.

Not sure if the film is any good, will probably rent it when it's out on DVD, though they seem to have gotten the perma-snow atmosphere right. Don't think Walhberg was the right choice to play Max Payne. Even though other than the fact he's not famous enough, I still don't see why they couldn't have gotten James McCaffrey to play Max Payne, and just put a bigger star/a few more bigger stars elsewhere in the film.

There's no way a big Hollywood studio is spending however many million on a film starring a guy who does voice acting for computer games. They can't make a film for hardcore computer game fans (like me) as they'd lose money.

From a Max Payne fan's point of view though, one of the biggest crimes in the trailer/preview shows that I can see is that they cast Ludacris as this guy:

04122401.jpg

That was quite a weird choice, I must admit.

• Paid Members

Aye, that animated movie is generally pretty terrific too.

Sure, Vega only gets two or three lines, but having him as an underground cagefighter (whilst keeping the insane narcissism alive) makes some sense and his look and demeanour are superb. He doesn't look much like his in-game character facially, but the rest of the look is great. Compare him with what they did to Sagat and Balrog and he's done well. Especially Sagat. Jesus.

As for him being the best character in the whole series, I'm a fan of his but I have to contest that. Also he tends to be one of the choice characters for those people who suck but can be irritating with a super-fast character. Very cool character though, and I love how his Alpha 3 appearance highlighted that he's more than a little bit insane.

I hope the new SF movie does a much, much better job. I'm not holding out much hope so far though. Kristin Kreuk is unspeakably lovely and all, but Chun Li she ain't.

• Moderators
There is no Rachel Bilson in Forgetting Sarah Marshall, just the gorgeous Mila Kunis.

I can't believe I made that stupid mistake. That's really embarassing. They are both really hot brunettes that look a little similar provided you don't stand 'em next to each other.

I like them both, but Mila Kunis a lot more. It's nice to have her in a real film and not to have to associate her with Meg.

PS - yes you are wrong about Laura Prepon, JLM. (the ginger one). And you should still watch this film.

PPS - I bought Streetfighter II Superwhatever Edition on the PS2 mostly because it came with a free copy of the Manga movie. I was disappointed to see that they cut the Chun Li shower scene that precedes her fight with Vega. :dickin: (I'm only half joking).

Edit Number 3 - I keep coming back to this thread to look at this picture, and will continue to do so for the rest of the day.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

Raul Julia saves the Street Fighter movie just by being the cheesiest, over-the-top bad guy ever.

Also the line during the fight with Bison where Cammy asks Guile how he is, it goes something like...

Cammy: How are you Guile?

Guile: Half dead

Cammy: Hows Bison?

Guile:............... All Dead.

• Paid Members

They don't look that alike man. You have failed pretty badly there, I'm not gonna lie to you. Bilson is all brown eyed and freckly and Kunis is all European looking. I'll concede that I'm alone in the Prepon thing (also just found out she's a scientologist, eew), but Bilson is hotter than Kunis for me. Hell, Kunis isn't even the hottest actress to voice Meg Griffin. There I said it. I will still watch the movie though. Forgetting Sarah Marshall? More like FORGETTING WHAT RACHEL BILSON LOOKS LIKE. Nothing but net.

In other casting details about the new Streetfighter movie, Michael Clarke Duncan is Balrog. I think he might actually be a bit too big, but he certainly has the arms for the part.

Also, in a bit of seamless linkery, Robin Shou (Liu Kang from the MK movies) is set to play Gen. If he utters the line "Youuu are big fool" then it will be a worthwhile piece of cinema.

• Paid Members
Also he tends to be one of the choice characters for those people who suck but can be irritating with a super-fast character. Very cool character though, and I love how his Alpha 3 appearance highlighted that he's more than a little bit insane.

I hope the new SF movie does a much, much better job. I'm not holding out much hope so far though. Kristin Kreuk is unspeakably lovely and all, but Chun Li she ain't.

Theres no need to get personal with sucks at the game stuff.

I also had high hopes for the new streetfighter film. I then found out that the handsome, yet psychotic, high flying serial killer Vega (who also happens to be the best character in the franchise by the way.) is being played by this chap.

Taboocrop.jpg

Meet Taboo from the Black Eyed Peas. I'm not joking, he is Vega in the new film.

Edit Number 3 - I keep coming back to this thread to look at this picture, and will continue to do so for the rest of the day.

She has been going out with Macaulay Culkin for a few years. Home Alone wakes up to her every morning! Macaulay f'n Culkin!

• Paid Members

Oh I wasn't suggesting that all Vega players suck at the game, just that he's one of the favourites for those that do. His range makes spamming his basic attacks work far better than it does for pretty much anybody else. Plus, yeah, the speed. Wasn't meant as a dig at you or the, erm, man, himself.

As for the BEP guy, yeah, I spotted that he was playing Vega too, but thought it too mean to bring up in front of a fan.

EDIT: Re, the Culkin thing. Russel Brand shares your pain, his stand-up bit on the issue is most amusing. She calls him "Mac", so he was quite horrified to find that, when he turned up on set, it was actual Macaulay Culkin.

Edited by JLM

• Moderators

Don't hate on the Mac! Kevin McAllister (sp?) was a childhood hero of mine...

I didn't even know anyone else ever has voiced Meg Griffin, and I didn't care to find it out. No, I will not be looking up who this harlot is.

Alright fine, I went and looked it up... The little violin playing kid fro Party of Five? C'mon!! You just like her because of her affiliation with the film Mean Girls.

• Paid Members
As for the BEP guy, yeah, I spotted that he was playing Vega too, but thought it too mean to bring up in front of a fan.

It hurt for a few days but I have learnt to carry on with life, pretend the film doesnt exist and appreciate the other decent pieces of media that Streetfighter has been a part of. Thats what I did with Spiderman 3 anyway.

6qgrxd.jpg

What the fuck! :angry: