DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Paid Members

Saw 'The Mist' last night. Really enjoyed this film, Frank Darabont (Shawshank, The Green Mile) adapts another Stephen King story with great success. A strange mist engulfs a Maine town with residents holed up in a supermarket. More of a character piece than a straight up monster flick, couple of dodgy CGI shots early on but the human characters are a lot scarier than any of the beasties. This filmed bombed in the states & you can understand why American audiences didn't take to it, it's a very thinly veiled analogy for American foreign policy with one of the best endings I've seen for a long time.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

Saw 'The Mist' last night. Really enjoyed this film, Frank Darabont (Shawshank, The Green Mile) adapts another Stephen King story with great success. A strange mist engulfs a Maine town with residents holed up in a supermarket. More of a character piece than a straight up monster flick, couple of dodgy CGI shots early on but the human characters are a lot scarier than any of the beasties. This filmed bombed in the states & you can understand why American audiences didn't take to it, it's a very thinly veiled analogy for American foreign policy with one of the best endings I've seen for a long time.

Sounds a bit like "The Fog". I loved that.Can somebody spoil "The Mist" for me. I'd love to know the big ending. REMEMBER THE SPOILER TAGS THERE. Thanks.

• Paid Members

Honestly mate...don't get the ending spoiled as it will ruin your enjoyment of the film. All I knew was that Frank Darabont sacrificed some budget with the studios in order to keep the ending he wanted. Also, I forgot to mention Thomas Jane is fucking mint, hugely underrated actor IMO.

• Paid Members

yeh i got no problem with his reviews, i read em...whatever.the thing i don't like is if someone says they like something, he challenges them to tell him why. What does it matter?

It's called a conversation.
yeh but why does someone need to justify themselves to him? if they like it, they like it. he'll just attack whatever it is they'd reply anyways.

• Paid Members

Forbidden Kingdom

I went into this under the impression I was going to see a crap kids fantasy film and might get a short bit of Jet Li/Jackie Chan action. I'm happy to say I loved it. If you like traditional martial arts films, characters and fighting styles this is a great way to see them on the big screen. In the opening scene it worried me that all we would get is faux Hollywood wire fu but after the credits rolled it was reassuring that we were in the hands of a master, Yuen Woo Ping.

What's more for the rest of the film he was in top form. The fights were more often than not a tremendous blend of traditional fighting styles and wire work which was awesome. The plot is an amalgamation of different old Chinese folklore characters and settings which can be seen in countless old martial arts films, so as a fan it was quite awesome seeing so many of them in a big budget film like this (compared to there old budgets).

It has its floors, most notably the acting from the Chinese contingency when they are delivering English dialogue and various plot holes like the film implying that the American kid can understand Chinese as English because of the mystical staff but then characters talking behind his back in Cantonese when he's right in front of them.

Its a shame this film hasn't seemed to caught on over here because its great fun for all the family, as long as your family happens to like old Kung fu movies and great martial arts. If your a fan of this type of thing go and see it before its to late.

• Paid Members

I dare you all to watch Mamma Mia, worth it to see Brosnan looking so uncomfortable while singing. But on the whole it was a lot of fun and both Meryl Streep and Julie Walters were brilliant. I'd be interested to see Seven's review..........

Oh Joe, so desperate to win the frank award from last year. Go on though, tell us all just what an emo is and how it applies to me.Stevie, I wrote loads on Southland Tales somewhere else in this thread, and with the search function down I can't be bothered to try and find it.

• Paid Members

A Nightmare On Elm Street Part 3: Dream Warriors:

After an amazing introduction to Freddy in the first film and losing the plot in the sequel, Part 3

needed something special to keep the series from becoming a slowly-dying trilogy, thus resulting in an 80s equivalent of the other Wes Craven brainwave, Scream.

Thankfully, it had it.

A good aspect of Dream Warriors that's either lacking or absent in other horror films is that of a storyline to fill in-between people being killed. Granted, any kind of plot often comes second to the main focus of horror, which is to scare, gross-out and leave a disturbing impact on people. Too many deaths, mind, leave for very little expansion on the story, if any [see Friday The 13th Part V...actually don't]. Substituting any kind of plot for a high death count also leaves for little scope in the imaginative death department, as well as the inability to care when someone is decapitated.

Dream Warriors gets everything right as far as a horror sequel goes; A villain that

• Paid Members

A Nightmare On Elm Street Part 3: Dream Warriors:After an amazing introduction to Freddy in the first film and losing the plot in the sequel, Part 3needed something special to keep the series from becoming a slowly-dying trilogy, thus resulting in an 80s equivalent of the other Wes Craven brainwave, Scream.Thankfully, it had it.A good aspect of Dream Warriors that's either lacking or absent in other horror films is that of a storyline to fill in-between people being killed. Granted, any kind of plot often comes second to the main focus of horror, which is to scare, gross-out and leave a disturbing impact on people. Too many deaths, mind, leave for very little expansion on the story, if any [see Friday The 13th Part V...actually don't]. Substituting any kind of plot for a high death count also leaves for little scope in the imaginative death department, as well as the inability to care when someone is decapitated.Dream Warriors gets everything right as far as a horror sequel goes; A villain that