DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Paid Members

Here's another two words:Highly overrated.

Personally, I agree with "Fucking Amazing" as I watched it totally unbiased and thought it was one of the best films i'd ever seen. I didn't like Heath Ledger just cos he is dead, I didn't compare it to old Batman films or the comics, as i've not watched them in years and havn't read a single comic. It was just an amazing movie that gripped me from start to finish.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

Here's another two words:Highly overrated.

Personally, I agree with "Fucking Amazing" as I watched it totally unbiased and thought it was one of the best films i'd ever seen. I didn't like Heath Ledger just cos he is dead, I didn't compare it to old Batman films or the comics, as i've not watched them in years and havn't read a single comic. It was just an amazing movie that gripped me from start to finish.
I think Seven is pointing out the list of things that he didn't like about the film and the fact that nobody else seems to acknowledge fault in it. Either that or he's trying to win the record for the fastest pissing on fireworks in history. I personally agree with you 'Fucking Amazing' is fine by me and describes more or less every reaction anyone I have spoken has had to the film.

Why is it amazing? It's full of holes and riddled with problems. It's a good film, nothing more.

I think the amazing things about the film are the performances of Ledger, Eckhart and Oldman. All 3 were simply superb, I agree with you that the film wasn't perfect and did have some issues with the plot at times. I tend to judge a film by my immediate reaction with TDK it was "when can I see it again?". I've seen it twice so far and enjoyed it enormously both times, no film that I've seen recently has had the same effect.

Why is it amazing? It's full of holes and riddled with problems. It's a good film, nothing more.

I think the amazing things about the film are the performances of Ledger, Eckhart and Oldman. All 3 were simply superb, I agree with you that the film wasn't perfect and did have some issues with the plot at times. I tend to judge a film by my immediate reaction with TDK it was "when can I see it again?". I've seen it twice so far and enjoyed it enormously both times, no film that I've seen recently has had the same effect.
Watched it for the second time tonight. I think there are many people who will shit all over the film simply because of the "oh you only call it a good movie because ledger's dead" so they're going to try to make out they're not swayed by a bandwagon. On the same front, there are people who will jump on the ledger's dead bandwagon and say it's amazing simply for that reason.I loved it because it's nipple tingling fun. It was also just a damned intense and entertaining movie. Eckhart I think made the movie for me. Ledger was, at times quite frightening as Joker. Oldman really impressed me with his role.It was much better than the first and I think I'll be watching it for a third time. Keeping in mind, it's very rare I'll watch a movie more than once within a week of first viewing it. That has to make TDK special. Right?

Last two weeks I saw Wall-e and the dark knight. WALL-E was thoughally entertaining, goes to show physical humour is alive and well. Quite a strong message hiding in there too about the state of humanity.

The Dark Knight was BRILLIANT. Miovie of the year so far for me. Usually films that long drag a bit, but the dark knight didn't at all. The plot kept me entertained all the way through. They missed a trick by:

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Not having a cameo by Brian Blessed saying 'GORDON'S ALIVE!!??'

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I feel sorry for Seven, why pick holes in a great film? Who the fuck cares if there was holes (which I personally didn't notice AT ALL) when a film is so good?

• Paid Members

Unsuprisingly, Seven's wrong again. The Dark Knight deserves all the praise it gets.

Seven's not wrong he just sees thing differently. His post on the temp forum had loads of very valid criticisms, which if they were to annoy you would absolutely lower your enjoyment of the film.

I saw all those flaws of which you spoke and it made little to no difference to my enjoyment so in spite of them the film is in fact 'fucking awesome'. Surely if a film can included some of those clunking problems you mentioned and not make one bit of difference to the vast majority of its audience then it deserves every bit of the praise that it gets. Lets be honest as well your asking us to argue which why a film is simply 'good' rather than 'awesome'. Seems like an effort in futility to me. I feel that films should be celebrated, using one adjective to some up how a person feels about a film they liked over another is Tamato/Tomato. It serves little purpose maligning a film for no reason other than to antagonise people that did enjoy it. Your review on the other forum was a good read and will have led readers to draw there own conclusions and opinions from your thoughts. Your initial swipe at it in this thread was designed to do little more than unfairly attack the film. You probably would be better served reposting the original post over here than posting something that a great number of people will look at think you are being childish and spouting nonsense. Discussion and articulation is far more interesting than knee jerk sensationalism. Of course that can be applied exactly to the initial 'Fucking Awesome' statement Steveo2007 made but that wasn't intended to provoke nearly as much of a response.I'm not going to bother listing why I think the film is awesome because I'm sure they are all the reasons you think the film is good. Just assume that we like those things more than you and don't dislike the things you dislike about the film nearly as much. What I will say at the very base of why I think its awesome is simply its Batman done right.I really enjoy your posts when you fully articulate what you like and dislike about a film. I may not agree with some of your points and more than likely some of them won't effect my opinions and or enjoyment of a film. But I respect the fact you do have an opinion and enjoy agreeing or disagreeing with you as a reader. Its the one liners that make you come across like a elitist unarticulated film studies student more concerned about criticising a film than watching it.

• Moderators

It's the best superhero film ever made. And I grew up reading comics and am a sucker for superhero films even when they're a bit shit...So on that basis alone, ie it being genre defining, means it's more than just 'a good film'. Yeah, there's a bunch of problems that you pointed out and you like to analyse and pick holes and stuff and that's fun for you. But for a genre that's really exploded in this decade just because it has become possible to make these kind of films with the technology they have these days this film is a real fucking milestone.Whatever problems you have with it I think you need to recognise that it is more than 'just another decent film' that's been undeservedly hyped to shit.

Last two weeks I saw Wall-e and the dark knight. WALL-E was thoughally entertaining, goes to show physical humour is alive and well. Quite a strong message hiding in there too about the state of humanity.The Dark Knight was BRILLIANT. Miovie of the year so far for me. Usually films that long drag a bit, but the dark knight didn't at all. The plot kept me entertained all the way through. They missed a trick by:

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Not having a cameo by Brian Blessed saying 'GORDON'S ALIVE!!??' [close spoiler]
");document.close();I feel sorry for Seven, why pick holes in a great film? Who the fuck cares if there was holes (which I personally didn't notice AT ALL) when a film is so good?
:laugh:

• Paid Members

"We Are Marshall" is on Sky Premiere this week. It's based on the true story of Marshall University's football team (Thundering Herd) being killed in a plane crash and the rebuilding of the team. It's worthy of a watch if you enjoy sports movies at all. It's not wall to wall football either so the Mrs will probably like it as well.

Yeah, it looks good. Other Premiere's on this week are...18:10 Kenny20:00 Die Hard 4.022:15 Hostel: Part II (Urgh, ain't watching that again. Barf)

Watched ''The Forgotten'' earlier.Had it on video for a couple of years and never bothered watching it.Thought it was decent enough to kill an hour and a half. Very interesting storyline, shame they didnt expand on it a bit more, they didnt seem to go into a lot of detail and what the actual experiment was all about and then just like that it kinda ended. Decent enough film tho, enjoyed it.