DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Moderators

Am I alone in thinking that 99% of black comedies are just loud, obnoxious, annoying, unfunny pieces of dog shit?

Nah, they're mostly just a bunch of really lazy crap that seems to follow the formula that if you say something loud enough in a stupid voice that makes it funny.I've heard that "Im gonna git you sucker" is a bit of a frontrunner for this genre, and is actually quite good even though it spawned a whole lot of shit in a similar mould. I've not seen it myself.On a personal note, I'd love to punch Queen Latifah in her big stupid fat head.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had 28 Weeks Later & Evan Almighty from lovefilm.I can honestly say that 28 Weeks Later is the first horror movie to freak me out in 20 years. There's just no let up from the bleakness, the ending is messed up tooEvan Almighty was great for something I could watch with my son. wouldn't watch it on my own. Steve Carell was hilarious, you've got to overlook the 'preachyness' to enjoy it I thought, it's so much more bible focused than Bruce Almighty.

• Moderators

All the time as in throughout the film?Nah, just at the end. The film would have been a whole lot worse and really quite meaningless if it had been the whole time because none of what happens to Bud Fox's character would have been 'real'.

Edited by Who has called me Hage?

• Paid Members

I watched Good Luck, Chuck. Not a bad film really. Some of it is a bit childish, but the main character is quite likeable and it moves pretty quick. The object of his affection is smart, funny and beautiful, as she should be. It's in the grown up American Pie sort of genre, I'd imagine.

• Paid Members

Watched Turkey Shoot aka Blood Camp Thatcher last night. A great little old Sci-fi Horror. I'm sure a number of you have seen it. Can anyone else think of an earlier example of the 'group of innocents are hunted down for amusement' films? It had a little bit of hype going in to it as I had been told that it was an uber gory must see movie. Now its not particularly gory by today

• Paid Members

I've heard that "Im gonna git you sucker" is a bit of a frontrunner for this genre, and is actually quite good even though it spawned a whole lot of shit in a similar mould. I've not seen it myself.

I enjoyed it. Especially the throbbing toe.
I fucking love John Slade.

"Everyday, I see kids walking around, killing and stealing for gold chains. I see kids with medallions so big they can hardly stand up, all stooped over and shit, trying to carry that stuff. But, what's really awful, man, is you see a young brother with this cheap imitation electroplated gold crap around their necks. And, it breaks out in this funky green rash, with these bumps and shit; it just makes you wanna puke."

Edited by Miamivenis

• Paid Members

Fred Claus - went with the wife to see this today. Its warm family stuff but I was a little disappointed that it wasn't funny. I mean its not that the jokes are but that there are very few. I was expecting more of a comedy and the few jokes it does have are mediocre to terrible. That being said it was ok for middle of the rung nonsensical family entertainment.

• Paid Members

Watched Hitman earlier today. It really is shit.The main guy is probably the shittest actor you'll come across. I couldnt even follow the story properly. The best part of the film was seeing some familiar scenes from the game. Thats about it really.

Naked Gun

Picked up the trilogy for a tenner from Head in Leamington the other day, where Fopp used to be.

I watched the first one a couple of nights ago, and amazingly, its one of the films from my childhood which is still as funny to me now as it was back then. Although it is very very stupid and silly, and the storyline is paperthin, the film makes up for it by believing in itself. Leslie Nielsen is at some of his best here, especially with the scenes such as where he's darting about his house looking for an intruder or the classic scene where he shoots at his own car when he leaves the hand brake off.

Although I seem to remember the films get worse with every one, so I'm not sure whether I'll like 2 1/2 as much.