DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marie Antionette: It looks great, but it's not a particularly good biopic. It doesn't really give you any insight into her life, and seems to spend so long celebrating the decadent lifestyle of the French aristocracy you don't really feel sorry for any of them when the peasants revolt and their lives fall apart. I never really liked Kirsten Dunst as an actress but she's fine here. Not great, but not bad either. You should probably give it a miss if you're looking for some genuine historical analysis.

Edited by Garrett

Who Killed The Electric Car

This is a fascinating documentary which cleary and thoroughly examines why the electric car never took off in the USA - despite government bills and environmental support. I learnt that in 1996 California passed a piece of stature that said by 2003 10% of cars in the state had to have 0 emissions (i.e. no exhausts) and so all the car firms came out with a range of 'EV' models - cars that run on electricity stored in them. However, in 2003 the legislation was withdrawn and so were the cars by the corporations.

This film goes through the major factors - the governments support, the oil companies, the car companies, the general public's demand, hydrogen fuel cells and more. It sounds a little dull - but its presented interestingly (it even has a clip of Naked Gun to make a point) and edited well so as the points are quick fired not leaving the viewer bored.

My only criticism would be that the film is nearly all shot with talking heads of the people who are lobbyists for the electric car - making the film unbalanced. However, unlike the Moore's films the documentary takes precautions to present a balanced argument by interviewing a wide selection of suits and people within the industry with varied opinions.

An entertaining learning curve.

• Paid Members

Can anyone recommend me any Black comedies?.. Im really into them at the moment.. Things like Barbershop, Friday, Norbit, Tyler Perry Movies, etc etc.

racist.
Knew someone would come out with that! What can I say.. the african american race tend to make hilarious films!Anyway.. I have some to add to my list.. Booty CallThe WoodCan anyone suggest any more?? Looking for a bit of black humour.. spiced up with a bit of drama!

Can anyone recommend me any Black comedies?.. Im really into them at the moment.. Things like Barbershop, Friday, Norbit, Tyler Perry Movies, etc etc.

racist.
Knew someone would come out with that! What can I say.. the african american race tend to make hilarious films!Anyway.. I have some to add to my list.. Booty CallThe WoodCan anyone suggest any more?? Looking for a bit of black humour.. spiced up with a bit of drama!
Soul Plane. Snoop Dogg being the pilot of a 747 with hydraulics. What more do you want?

• Paid Members

If you want a great black comedy try 'The Ordeal'.

that movie freaked me out, very surreal. The scene in the bar where everyone starts dancing is one of the most fucked up things ive ever seen in my life :laugh:

• Paid Members

Murtz, did you like Little Man? If so, you should have your eyes and ears removed.

Havent seen it.. but I remember reading on here that its meant to be bollocks.Has anyone seen American Hustle?.. I saw it today.. thought it was great!

• Paid Members

Wall Street

I seem to have missed this one up until today. I'm sure its old news to most of you but if you haven't seen it you could do worse things than see it if the opportunity comes your way. Charlie Sheen is fantastic as the low level trader trying to get ahead. Its a great bit of acting/character design. His character genuinely seems grow from a kid with a drive to a slimy ruthless yuppie. Even physically he seems to transform right before your eyes, quite a impressive performance if I do say so. Of course Martin Sheen, John C McGinley and Michael Douglas are great too but Charlie is literally in every scene and he nails it. Loved the reality and slight ambiguity of the ending too. Oliver Stone as good a job of making me not want to work on Wall Street as he did make me not want to war in Platoon.

• Paid Members

Wall StreetI seem to have missed this one up until today. I'm sure its old news to most of you but if you haven't seen it you could do worse things than see it if the opportunity comes your way. Charlie Sheen is fantastic as the low level trader trying to get ahead. Its a great bit of acting/character design. His character genuinely seems grow from a kid with a drive to a slimy ruthless yuppie. Even physically he seems to transform right before your eyes, quite a impressive performance if I do say so. Of course Martin Sheen, John C McGinley and Michael Douglas are great too but Charlie is literally in every scene and he nails it. Loved the reality and slight ambiguity of the ending too. Oliver Stone as good a job of making me not want to work on Wall Street as he did make me not want to war in Platoon.

I saw this in the local charity shop for 10p. Thanks for the recommendation. Get it next time I'm there.

If you want a great black comedy try 'The Ordeal'.

that movie freaked me out, very surreal. The scene in the bar where everyone starts dancing is one of the most fucked up things ive ever seen in my life :laugh:
The film is a pretty good dark dark comedy and horror. Plus its foreign so bonus points.

Dont be a menace to south central while drinking your juice in the hood!(yea that is actually the name of the film)http://www.amazon.co.uk/Menace-South-Centr...8175&sr=8-1Absolutely Quality! You might have already watched it, but this is my favourate 'Black' comedy. Edited by ScottT07