WHAT PLAY YOU?

Onyx2

• Awards Moderator

The pinnacle of that genre has to be Day of the Tentacle.Unfortunatly for some reason it's impossible to play the game on modern computers.

Now you're talking. I fell in love with this when I frst played it and it still makes me laugh now. I bought it on CD recently for a

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Monkey Island and Grim Fandango good?Oh and if anyone has Broken Sword 1 anyone want to sell me it?

I've never played grim fandango, but monkey island is ace!! Is GF another point and click?BTW I absolutly loved the third broken sword game, a few to many convieniently placed crate puzzles though :)

Winning Eleven 9.I got the game about 30 mins ago, just had a few games on it and the all new pass/dribble system is a bit hard to get used to (for me anyway) All of the language is in Jappanese untill a complete translation and kit patch comes out.Still great game, and i'm gonna get the hang of it eventually.

Is Monkey Island and Grim Fandango good?Oh and if anyone has Broken Sword 1 anyone want to sell me it?

Try play.com I got mine from there last year.
No Broken Sword on there either. I go onto ebay n i see it but it goes for

• Paid Members

Finished with FF7 for now, getting on with Vagrant Story (PSX/PSOne)

Many people were put off this because of the frighteningly complex weapon system, but if you take everything one step at a time you'd be fine. Its drawbacks are because it's so deep, an hour's play will only see you through about 10-12 rooms; and to get the most out of the weaponry you have to experiment a lot with combining blade types, makes, affinities etc. - most of which will be erroneous. So it's NOT a game for ADD sufferers.

On the plus side, there's a LOT on this CD. The music is appropriate in most places, and if things look samey you've been in the same area too long.

There are boss battles aplenty, and what you have on your person at the time will drastically affect how you do. Combos, Limit-break-style attacks, a good plotline with the odd twist here and there; No voice acting (well, you can only expect so much) but the narrative does just enough to flesh the characters out, with one or 2 exceptions. There's no 'experience' to gain as such but several potions to permanently up your character, and bonuses for whacking bosses.

All in all, well worth it if you're patient enough. It's not as rare to find as one might think, and If Square ever consider a remake/sequel.... :)

Edited by sephjnr

The pinnacle of that genre has to be Day of the Tentacle.Unfortunatly for some reason it's impossible to play the game on modern computers.

http://www.scummvm.org/There can NEVER be enough pimping for this software. NEVER. :)Edit: Ooh, Vagrant Story. An all-time fave. The main things to remember with weapons upgrading are to always combine blades of the same class (e.g. two daggers, two axes) because with very few exceptions that's the only way to get good results. Always combine two blades of similar level, because if you combine a high-level one with a low-level one, you'll get something in between instead of something better. Also, if I remember correctly, iron + bronze gives hagane and hagane + silver sometimes gives whatever the best metal is.It's worth playing through twice - you get to keep all your equipment and stats and there's a huge bonus dungeon unlocked.Square canned plans for a sequel due to disappointing sales. I think the sales were still reasonably good, but they had a lot of other projects waiting that they thought would be more profitable. :/ Edited by Spatular

I didn't like the step up to 3D graphics, with keyboard controls. It looked ugly, and rather than getting pulled in and believing I was really on a great pirate adventure, I just felt like I was playing a game. :(It was really funny at times though, and I'm sure if they made it today it'd look a lot better. The atmosphere of the game was killed for me with the 3D graphics though, because 3D still looked pretty ugly until a year or two ago.MI2 was really hard at times, but surely the whole fun of an adventure game is sitting there for hours at a time not actually doing anything, browsing the same screens for days, trying every combination of item on item until something comes up. An adventure game wouldn't be complete without a stupidly hard puzzle or two.(Unless it involves a goat in Broken Sword.)

• Awards Moderator

Full Throttle was one of my fave Lucasarts games. That ruled.

"You know where that nose ring would look really good?... ON THE BAR"Beautiful graphical style, lovely cutscenes, great characters. A little on the easy side but a whole buncha fun.I want to put in a good word here for the original Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers which kept me scared witless one Easter. A fabulous game with delightful visuals and a compelling soundtrack. One that haunted me for years.