The UKFF [Nearly-Official] Questions Thread

tiger_rick

Thank you to Kenny and John, I think Mr Milano may well be the hero of the day.

I've got 10 discs of the Satellite Wrestling from Screensport and the quality is suprisingly good. It features the likes of Breaks, Yamada, Rocco, Cortez and Cullen and I'll see if I can rustle up the listings. The commentary and announcing is so bad and campy it is good.

Awesome.Please do forward the listings when you find them, i'll be very interested in having a look.

• Paid Members

When exactly did Mankind start wearing a shirt to the ring, and how was it explained? I believe it was somewhere between Over The Edge '98 (where Foley wrestled as Dude Love) and King of the Ring '98 (Hell in the Cell).

It was to do with his on/off corporate relationship with Vince - Foley mentions it in his first book IIRC
Yep, it was after Over The Edge, when he dressed up 'professionally' for Vince McMahon. He'd dressed up outside of the ring before that (including having false teeth), but I *think* the explanation was that Vince blamed him for losing against Austin, and Mankind took this to be rejection. He started wearing the same clothes, and the explanation was that he was depressed/dishevelled, etc.This was all part of a slow face turn, as he became 'Mick Foley the underdog'.
Cheers. I wasn't watching Raw regularly then so missed that transition from Dude Love to "corporate" Mankind. As luck would have it, I picked up boxes of old stuff from my parents loft yesterday, and the first Foley book was in there. I might have a read through it.
Small point, but I possibly described it badly. The transition was more from 'corporate' Dude Love to a slightly amalgamated Mankind. By Survivor Series, which may have been the first full time, he started wrestling in a full suit, which got more destroyed as the PPV went on.

Here are the listings for the 10 discs of Satellite Wrestling from Screensport that I have:Disc 1Big Bill Bromley vs Neil SandsDave Taylor vs Shane StevensBlondie Barrett & Bobby Barnes vs Johnny Kidd & Rob BrooksideTony St.Clair vs Mal KirkDisc 2Johnny Kidd vs Blondie BarrettJim Breaks vs Max HunterChic Cullen vs Johnny SaintPat Barrett vs Dave Taylor Disc 3Blondie Barrett & Rocky Moran vs Brian Maxine & Keith MyattFuji Yamada & Clive Myers vs Wildman Wilkie & Zigue ZagChic Cullen vs Pat BarrettFuji Yamada & Clive Myers vs Blondie Barrett & Rocky MoranDisc 4Screaming Eagle vs Mad Dog WilsonDave Bond vs Pat BarrettSteve Fury vs Gaylord PeacockMickey Gold vs Mark RoccoScreaming Eagle vs Pat BarrettSteve Fury vs Mark RoccoPat Barrett vs Mark RoccoDisc 5Wayne Martin vs Blondie BarrettJohn Kowalskie vs Pat BarrettTarantula vs Count BartelliJackie Robinson vs Jon CortezThe Pretty Things vs The Young OnesCrusher Mason vs Kung FuDisc 6Rocky Moran vs Keith HawardJohn Quinn vs Johnny SouthBrian Maxine vs Keith MartinelliMal Sanders vs Carl JasonJohn Quinn & Pat Barrett vs Johnny South & Sandy ScottDisc 7John Kenny vs Rob BrooksideBobby Barnes vs Chic CullenKung Fu vs Mark RoccoWarlord vs Count BartelliChic Cullen vs Mark RoccoDisc 8Mad Dog Wilson vs Count BartelliRocky Moran vs Mal SandersJon Cortez vs Johnny EnglandKung Fu vs Chic CullenMal Sanders & Johnny Saint vs Mark Rocco & Rocky MoranDisc 9Kung Fu vs Johnny PalanceHugo von Wallenstein vs Dave TaylorKeith Myatt vs Wildman WilkieJim Breaks vs Johnny SaintMark Rocco vs Jamaica KidDisc 10Rob Brookside vs Shane StevensJohn Kenny vs Sandy ScottMal Sanders vs Keith HawardMark Rocco vs Brian MaxineBattle RoyalThe discs also feature stuff from NWA, WWF and Southwest that was broadcast on the shows.

Small point, but I possibly described it badly. The transition was more from 'corporate' Dude Love to a slightly amalgamated Mankind. By Survivor Series, which may have been the first full time, he started wrestling in a full suit, which got more destroyed as the PPV went on.

I was watching again by Survivor Series (and rewatched that PPV a few weeks ago) so I remember the tux well, I just didn't get how Mankind started wearing a shirt in the first place. In late '97, around the time he was feuding with Kane, he was still wearing the brown outfit. Then there was the run where he was Cactus and Corporate Dude, and the next time I saw Mankind he had a shirt on. Was there a specific angle where he put the mask back on?A new question - outside of the traditional 10+ man battle royals and royal rumbles, when was the first time the WWF presented a match with more than two "sides"? Like a triple threat or fatal 4 way type thing. Was it the February 1997 In Your House? Edited by Coyle

• Paid Members

As far as I know, it was:WWF @ Dallas, TX - Reunion Arena - January 22, 1997 (4,554)WWF World Champion Shawn Michaels defeated Bret Hart and Psycho Sid in an elimination match; Michaels pinned Sid with the superkick; Michaels pinned Bret after Sid interfered They then did this on several house shows over the next few weeks.

Thanks chaps. Wasn't specifically after singles, it's nice to have the dates for both.My next question - how exactly did Big Show's September/October 1999 babyface turn happen? I know Show had about a dozen turns that year, so a few more details. In September, he was Undertaker's lackey, and an all-round heel feuding with the Rock 'n' Sock Connection. By Survivor Series, he was a sympathetic good guy getting tortured by the Bossman.

Edited by Coyle

Think his old man died and he won over the crowd, or he was the suprise man in a 3 way at Survivor Series after Austin got ran down. I think. May it was the other way round.

He was already a babyface by Survivor Series. He won a match against Bossman's team earlier on on the PPV, then got thrown in as the surprise entrant. For a while before that, Bossman was picking on him about his dad dying, but was he a heel when Bossman started doing that?

The chokeslam through the ring was many months earlier I think, when Big Show was in the Union and Taker was in the Corporate Ministry.I've just been reading recaps and it seems like Big Show's babyface turn then consisted of nothing. He lost the tag titles to Rock and Mankind on Raw, and on Smackdown he fought HHH. That Smackdown had Vince booking HHH in matches against all five of his "Unforgiven six pack match" opponents. But then on Raw after the PPV, Big Show was booked against Jericho, a heel. From nowhere, he started feuding with Prince Albert and Droz, which I guess made him a babyface.His heel turn a few months later was rubbish as well, he just got booed because he wanted to win the Royal Rumble that Rock was in.

At a press conference promoting the 7/2 Raw brand house in Santiago, Chile yesterday, Carlito took aim at Triple H and his marriage to Stephanie McMahon. Carlito spoke in Spanish, and there are two slightly different interpretations online from PWInsider.com and the Puerto Rican wrestling news site PRWrestling.com. Thanks to reader Nizzo, we were able to get a translation of what Carlito said according to the PRWrestling.com news post on the story.When asked about Triple H

Whats all this i'm hearing about Carlito commenting at a press conference last week about HHH's status in the WWE being due to his marriage with Stephanie??

WWE STAR TAKES PUBLIC AIM AT TRIPLE H AND HIS MARRIAGE TO STEPHANIE MCMAHON AT PRESS CONFERENCE TODAY by Mike Johnson @ 2008-06-13 18:08:00 During a press conference today in Santiago, Chile, promoting a 7/2 Raw house show, Carlito took aim at Triple H's place in World Wrestling Entertainment, specifically his marriage to Stephanie McMahon-Levesque. When asked about their marriage, Carlito commented, "I may get in trouble, but that's why I'm here. My opinion is that it was a smart move by [HHH]. I think that's why he's champion now and has been champion in the past, it's easier to him. We, the real wrestlers, don't depend on people in the business. We don't have that benefit. We have to deliver the maximum in the ring. Others are given championships in a plate of gold or platinum, I'm happy for him." Carlito, who claimed he had been discriminated against in WWE because he was Latin (but did not specify any instance), saying his heritage makes it harder for him, but he doesn't regret being Latino. He also commented that he never sees Triple H going overseas to promote the company, stating, "I don't see him coming to Chile or Paraguay, places like that. He's always comfortable." As mentioned yesterday on PWInsider.com, Carlito is again unhappy with his WWE push and status. In a sign that he wasn't just playing a heel role during the conference, Carlito put over babyface John Cena's work ethic and criticized wrestling fans for not supporting him. The McMahon-Levesque marriage has always been pretty much considered "out of bounds" for anyone to discuss publicly for the obvious political reasons. Ken Kennedy also took part in the press conference, remaining in character before the local media. Announced for the Santiago event was WWE champ Triple H vs. John Cena, WWE Intercontinental champ Chris Jericho vs. JBL, Shawn Michaels & Jeff Hardy vs. Umaga & Snitsky and Ken Kennedy vs. Carlito. Special thanks to Roberto Mirando for all his help and translation.

Someone beat me to it! Edited by lostprophet_y2j