The UKFF [Nearly-Official] Questions Thread

tiger_rick

Maxines gimmick was he had made albums wasnt it?)

It seems as if the gimmick had quite a lot of truth to it. While my father was working for EMI they used to send various singers/groups/bands there to do shows for the employees and their families, one time Brian Maxine came down. It was only when looking through a folder of autographs that my mother showed me a signed photo of him and asked about his wrestling career. As it happens, I know diddly squat.

Maxines gimmick was he had made albums wasnt it?)

It seems as if the gimmick had quite a lot of truth to it. While my father was working for EMI they used to send various singers/groups/bands there to do shows for the employees and their families, one time Brian Maxine came down. It was only when looking through a folder of autographs that my mother showed me a signed photo of him and asked about his wrestling career. As it happens, I know diddly squat.
That might explain how my Dad knew him as he was signed to EMI

Was Sting ever offered a WWE contract?Biggie

I don't think they have ever made an official offer.I think they have had some brief talks in the past but it didn't get too far because the Born Again Stinger doesn't approve of what the WWE puts out - his continued absence from the WWE seems to be a rare example of a wrestler actually staying to true to his principles.

The main heavy metal song was "Ladies and Gentlemen" by Saliva.Why is Bobby Lashley's running powerslam called the Dominator and why does he not use the real Dominator? Did he have to pay Ron Simmons royalties or something? :rolleyes:

Also in Lance Storm's latest Q&A he says that he suggested Lashley use the running powerslam as a finisher when he was working with him in OVW because of the damage the actual dominator does to the knees.

• Paid Members

How are wrestling matches constructed?.. Do the wrestlers know move for move before they go out there?.. or is there improvisation along the way?..

It can be both or neither depending on the match. Some matches are rehearsed move for move, others are improvised within a time limit but with a clear finish and possibly some key spots thrown in and others are quite possibly all improvised until the end. I remember reading about the Dragon Gate guys on a Western Indy show staring at the ring in disbelief as some of the local workers rehearsed their upcoming match move for move.

How are wrestling matches constructed?.. Do the wrestlers know move for move before they go out there?.. or is there improvisation along the way?..

It can be both or neither depending on the match. Some matches are rehearsed move for move, others are improvised within a time limit but with a clear finish and possibly some key spots thrown in and others are quite possibly all improvised until the end. I remember reading about the Dragon Gate guys on a Western Indy show staring at the ring in disbelief as some of the local workers rehearsed their upcoming match move for move.
Foley goes through a lot about this in his first book. IIRC he said that the more experienced a worker was, the more improvisation he would use. For example, whenever he faced The Rock, it would be a case of "right, we've got 18 minutes, lets see what shit we can come up with", whereas if it was a match was say Lashley Vs Chris Masters, more or less every move would be laid out by a road agent.

Foley goes through a lot about this in his first book. IIRC he said that the more experienced a worker was, the more improvisation he would use. For example, whenever he faced The Rock, it would be a case of "right, we've got 18 minutes, lets see what shit we can come up with", whereas if it was a match was say Lashley Vs Chris Masters, more or less every move would be laid out by a road agent.
It also depends on the individual, regardless of experience - Savage was notorious for wanting everything laid out prior to the match starting.

I call shenanigans. There is no way in hell that big DG matches are not laid out spot for spot. Maybe some of the comedy undercard stuff is called in the ring, but the serious and "major" matches will be laid out very precisely. Lots of top Japanese stuff is done that way, and with so many complex spots involved, there's no way they're doing all that shit on the fly.Oh, and STO stands for Space Tornado Ogawa. Don't ask me why. :p

• Paid Members

I disagree with the DG thing. The small roster and insular nature of Toryumon up until fairly recently means that the guys know each other better than almost any roster you could name. They'll wrestle the same match god knows how many times in a year, and they come up with signature spots and set-pieces that they put into the matches. Although the matches do have spots that have obviously been pre-conceived, and they do things like reference a previous match by having someone reverse a move that beat them in the last match, I don't think they're laid out move for move at all. I'm sure they have an idea of how it will pan out and what they plan to fit in, but to be honest I don't think you could even memorise everything they put into a 25 minute sprint.

1. Mike Awesome2. Hugh Morrus3. Lance Storm4. Chavo Guerrero5. Shawn Stasiak6. Johnny the Bull7. Shane Helms8. Shannon Moore9. Evan Karagias10. Chuck Palumbo11. Sean O'Haire12. Mike Sanders13. Mark Jindrak14. Elix Skipper15. Kwee Wee (Allan Funk)16. Lash Leroux17. The Wall18. Kaz Hayashi19. Jamie Knoble20. Jimmy Yang21. Miss Hancock (Stacy Keibler)22. Reno23. Kid Romeo 24. Jason Jett