The UKFF [Nearly-Official] Questions Thread

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

I understand that it was a work, and a pretty disgusting one, both morally and practically.Invader#1 drank a pint of pigs blood and downed vodka before the match, so he would vomit blood. Meanwhile the angle was that Hernandez was trying to get revenge for Brody's murder.

A work so well worked that he took a lengthy time off (in which he wouldn't have been earning money) and when he came back he was generally a bit crap until he retired early?

• Paid Members

The guy in the vomiting angle is Invader III, aka Johnny Rivera (a former WWWF jobber), not Invader I (Jose Gonzales). I believe the match in the clip took place in 1988 (it's on a tape reviewed at DVDVR titled WWC TV 11/21/87-10/12/88, and I've seen reports of it airing in April 1988, before Brody even died). I'm fairly certain it set up an Invader III-Fernandez rematch at the WWC anniversary show in 1989.The story about it being a shoot and revenge for Brody's death comes from a Fernandez shoot interview tape. Even if you leave aside the need for a time machine, it's very clearly bollocks. Considering the promotion was powerful enough to cover up a murder, they are hardly likely to have an American wrestler turn up, violently assault a local wrestler in a match as revenge for said murder, let him leave unharmed, then invite him back to work another match.The vodka/pig blood story comes from wrestler Ken Wayne who was apparantly on the show.

What was the story about Hogan's "war bonnet"? and does anybody have any pictures?

If I remember rightly, it was a construction worker's hat like this one:-10-hard-cap.jpgbut in yellow and red and had a fist moulded into the top at the front.

• Paid Members

The Weird World of Wrestling entry on the helmet can be found here. Hogan accompanied the offending headgear with the "Hulkster Licence Plate" for a while, which, obviously, was a car licence plate with "Hulkster" written on it, which he wore round his neck. I think they were two merchandise items being pushed.

The Rat Pack was a heel stable consisting of Ted DiBiase, Jim Duggan, Matt Borne and Mr. Olympia, and it's name came from a group of mainstream entertainers (most famously including Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis Jr.) which had connections to the Mafia and played a big part in campaigning for John F. Kennedy and the Democratic party during presidential elections.

The Rat Pack was a heel stable consisting of Ted DiBiase, Jim Duggan, Matt Borne and Mr. Olympia, and it's name came from a group of mainstream entertainers (most famously including Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis Jr.) which had connections to the Mafia and played a big part in campaigning for John F. Kennedy and the Democratic party during presidential elections.

How did they get together though and who did they feud with? (Not the Sinatra Rat Pack but the Wrestling one of course)

How did they get together though and who did they feud with? (Not the Sinatra Rat Pack but the Wrestling one of course)
From Petopia, covers all three of your questions -

He has also been involved in several of the most memorable angles in wrestling history. In 1982, a face DiBiase stated he would defeat Bob Roop for the North American title or leave Mid-South. The Junkyard Dog won the title from Roop and had to face DiBiase, who was his best friend, with the stipulation still in place. During the match, DiBiase used a loaded glove to knockout the Dog and win the title turning heel in the process. DiBiase and fellow heel Jim Duggan later formed a team called 'the Rat Pack' and in a loser leaves Mid-South match, Duggan in a gorilla suit interfered to send the Dog packing. DiBiase would later turn on Duggan which set up a Best Dressed Man in Mid-South angle between the two. DiBiase, who was carrying a baseball bat to defend himself from Duggan's 2x4, went outside the arena to confront Mid-South television director Joel Watts about the noise meters being used in the contest. He recognized Duggan's car parked nearby and promptly smashed its windshield. This later led to a series of cage matches, no-disqualification matches, and Tuxedo-and-a-Coal-Miner's-glove-atop-a-pole matches between the two