The UKFF [Nearly-Official] Questions Thread

tiger_rick

Reading the thread about the Tommy Boyd show reminded me of something. I could have sworn that a few years ago (around 2000) there was a wrestling show on in the afternoon on one of the terrestrial channels, ITV I think, with some American "names" on and British talent. It looked like it was filmed in a tv studio, it had a couple of commentators at a desk, but that's about all I can remember. As I wasn't hugely into wrestling at the time (apart from WWE) I can't remember anyone on it.Am I thinking of that same show, or was it a different one?

• Paid Members

From itvwrestling.co.uk:

Transatlantic Wrestling ChallengeThis was a six-episode series originally aired in 2000 in the Meridian, Anglia and HTV regions. It was later shown nationally on digital channel ITV 2.The series featured a 16 man tournament, with eight wrestlers from the UK and eight representing the United States. The tournament began with a round-robin stage of four groups:Group A: Vigilante (Johnny Moss), Majik, David Young, Ozzie Rulz (Ashley Hudson) Group B: Tank, Gary Steele, Sinn, Rukkus Group C: Psycho Steve, Jon Ryan, Prodigy, Tony Kozina Group D: Paul Vault, Kung Fu, Rick Michaels, Kory Williams The top two finishers in each group then advanced to the knockout stages. The tournament was won by Sinn, beating Gary Steele in the final. The last show also featured Nikita beating Riptide to win the TWC Ladies trophy.

Also, check out my Fight Network column from yesterday which covers British wrestling on TV post World Of Sport.

When exactly did Mankind start wearing a shirt to the ring, and how was it explained? I believe it was somewhere between Over The Edge '98 (where Foley wrestled as Dude Love) and King of the Ring '98 (Hell in the Cell).