The Dragon Gate thread

JLM

• Paid Members

I watched the October PPV last night. Not the greatest show really, but saved by a big-ass impromptu main event.

1. Masaaki Mochizuki and Susumu Yokosuka vs TARU and Shingo Takagi

This is OK, but little more than that. The first three matches are fairly passable sub-15 minute tag matches that don't really scream "PPV quality". Shingo is a hero again, Susumu and Mochi punk him out a bit, TARU does his best to help the rookie out. Shingo is able to kick out of a JUMBO NO KACHI! which is good, but his efforts are in vain as Mochi puts him away with his triangle enzuigiri. Post match Mochi picks Shingo up by the hair and gives him a slap in the face. Shingo slaps him back, Mochi nods his approval at his feistiness, this all becomes more important later.

2. K-ness, Second Doi vs Don Fujii, Naoki Tanisaki

K-Ness isn't really up for this in kayfabe terms, as evidenced by his abrupt exit following the finish. Doi and his Aiipa buddies are all very sporting. Tanisaki predictably takes the fall after another match that is decent enough but nothing t shout about. He submits after taking a sweet looking leg lariat to the face and being tied up in K-Ness' Blue Light hold. Special mention to the shining enzuigiri/bakatare sliding kick combination, it looks devastating.

3. Touru Owashi, Shogo Takagi vs Araken, Super Shisa

Owashi vs HenoHenomask spawned this one, and it also features Jet "Making up the numbers" Takagi and Super "Filler" Shisa. This is one of the better outings for Takagi, he did show a bit of improvement towards the end of the run. Possibly the coolest thing was the way a little buzz goes through the crowd as soon as he's on offence (after hitting his flying shoulder block), the anticipation for the JET~! punch flurry is tremendous. You can tell Takagi is loving it too, he teases the move and acknowledges the crowd a bit before it, they also stop him doing it once so it gets a bigger response later.

Owashi is dominant in this one. He is all no-selly and angry, Araken is a bit anonymous, Shisa does a couple of his Shisa specials and little else. Owashi chokeslams everyone and flattens Shisa with the diving body press. Owashi was impressive, Takagi was fun, the other two were there. Again, fairly missable stuff I'm afraid.

4. Milano Collection AT, Anthony W. Mori, YOSSINO vs Dragon Kid, Ryo Saito, Genki Horiguchi

This is the best match on the card up to this point, pretty good stuff. Genki just oozes charisma from every pore, Saito is as dependable as ever. Dragon Kid is surprisingly funny in this one, attempting to copy Milano's lanky over the top rope entrance and having a bit of a laugh with it.

The ItaConne have quite an elaborate team entrance, it hit me during this just how much of a star Milano looks, he'll be missed. Yossino is really bloody fast. I know he always is and it shouldn't be anything new, but seriously, speeeed. All the opening 'feeling out process' exchanges at the beginning are very slick, but the match soon develops into a frantic sprint. The momentum shifts back and forth, but with ItaConne having a slight advantage for the most part.

ItaConne try that spot where they have all three opponents in standing stretches, but Genki takes the oppurtunity to try and sneak a win with the godly backslide while his other opponents are busy. I liked that, and that move is still really really over. Good performances all round but Milano is the star here, very impressive throughout and fittingly picks up the win with the kewl Italian Revolution cradle suplex.

5. Rey de Parejas

Michael Iwasa, Daniel Mishima, Johnson Florida vs Shuji Kondo, brother YASSHI, Takuya Sugawara

Frolida brag about this being the main event (something I was a bit sceptical about given the time left and Frolida's comedy stylings), Johnson does a promo in Eglish as Michael translates. Aagan arrive and it's obvious they're in no mood for any comedy shenanigans.

Brother Yasshi looks evil, really really evil. Iwasa tries some silliness with his invisible barrier, but Yasshi responds with a vicious clubbering and the tone for the short match is set. Frolida get pounded and pummelled with only one brief and pleasantly surprising flurry of offence (Stomping! Stomping! Stomping! on Yasshi) providing respite. Anyway, Johnsons tries the screwjob DQ by throwing the chair to Kondo. Kondo pauses for a bit, then shrugs and decides to twat him really hard with the chair. I spose you might as well make them work for their DQ victory.

Post match there are more beatings for FloBro from the whole Aagan faction. They also beat up the ref and he gets a second rope powerbomb through a table. President Okamura shows up, but they kick his arse too and he gets an Owashi diving body press for his troubles. That's some good heeling. TARU and Shingo Takagi show up to try and save the Pres, but Aagan are still in "kill everything" mode and start to kick the crap out of them too.

However, this is stopped when Susumu, K-ness and Mochi show up. A big brawl erupts, words are exchanged and then the bell rings to a great response from the crowd (and me!). Ten man tag ahoy!

6. TARU, Masaaki Mochizuki, Susumu Yokosuka, K-ness, Shingo Takagi vs Shuji Kondo, Touru Owashi, Takuya Sugawara, Shogo Takagi, brother YASSHI

This rocks. Chaotic brawling and a red hot crowd firmly behind the makeshift face team. Every time one of the faces gets tagged in to face an Aagan counterpart they get a massive cheer, they seem like real heroes, it rules. Shingo is still the golden boy in the crowd's eyes however, and fittingly he absorbs much of Aagan's multiman offence. This only goes about 13 minutes but it's certainly a fitting main event in terms of entertainment and intensity.

The finish is great too, following some near falls including a quality one off a TARU Durillaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah (Listen to the commentator!), Jet seems to be in control of Shingo when President Okamura leaps up onto the apron and gives him a big high kick to the face. Shingo seizes the advantage, scoops him up and... hold on a minute... SCHWEIN! 1...2....3! I almost jumped up off my seat. :blush:

Excellent stuff, everyone congratulates Shingo and it's all happy endings, except for the two random ring boys who get beaten up quite brutally by YASSHI and Sugawara as they leave.

So.. overrall as a stand alone event this is far from essential. However, The ItaConne/Do Fixer six man is decent enough and the main event is gripping stuff, particularly if you've been following the Aagan vs everyone saga.

Next up, Infinity #7.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Couple of questions:1. What is the Italian Revolution Suplex? What does it look like?2. Is Sugawara Takuya the former Henry Sugawara III?

Couple of questions:1. What is the Italian Revolution Suplex? What does it look like?2. Is Sugawara Takuya the former Henry Sugawara III?

Is that the leg hook fishermans suplex with a bridge Milanos been doing recently? never heard of that name being used as a move but havent heard a name mentioned for the fishermans either. Takuya is indeed the former Henry

• Paid Members

Yeah the IR is Milano's cradle suplex hold. He does a fisherman's suplex but also hooks one of the opponent's arms. They end up almost rolled into a ball as he lifts them and they're totally tied up on landing, I like it. During these shows he's started using the Paradise lock more often too, I love that move.

• Paid Members

Yeah the IR is Milano's cradle suplex hold. He does a fisherman's suplex but also hooks one of the opponent's arms. They end up almost rolled into a ball as he lifts them and they're totally tied up on landing, I like it. During these shows he's started using the Paradise lock more often too, I love that move.

Sounds like he's got a lot of signatures.The 44 Italian StretchesParadise LockAT LockItalian Revolution SuplexHe has 47 signatures, basically.Which arm does he hook, and how does he do it?

• Paid Members

Italian Revolution SuplexWhich arm does he hook, and how does he do it?

Right, I'm gonna get all MAINEAK MIKE DAMANN on you now and bring the SCREENCAPS~! (capped by me, kindly uploaded by JFFC).IR1.jpgMilano hooks the opponent (on this occasion Genki Horiguchi) thusly. As this isn't the best angle, I'll explain. He has grabbed Genki's right arm and pulled it accross Genki's throat, holding it in a cut throat position. He has hold of Genki's left arm and has pulled it under Genki's own right knee, trapping it there. IR2.jpgHe then tightens the whole thing up as above. That headlock he now has Genki in is also keeping Genki's arm secured round his own neck because Milano still has his hand gripped. Similarly, Genki's leg, now hooked as if for a fisherman's suplex, is also keeping Genki's other arm trapped as Milano is holding that hand too. IR3.jpgMilano then lifts Genki (who is now tightly compacted and trapped) up and over, again like a fisherman's suplex, then bridges for the pin. Genki doesn't kick out.

• Paid Members

I watched Infinity #7!1. Brother YASSHI, Shuji Kondo, Takuya Sugawara vs. K-ness, Masaaki Mochizuki, Susumu YokosukaK-Nessuka bring back their cool tandem offence, they also have a sequence that gets used more than once where K-ness hits the Shouryuukyaku at the same time as Susumu's JUMBO NO KACHI, then Mochi immediately follows up with the Twister. The Aagan trio are as good as ever, everyone loves it when YASSHI gets beaten up, Sugawara's Shiisanputa is impressive in that it's a really contrived move but he manages to set it up really smoothly and quickly to compensate for this. He also uses the nasty looking Quebradora slam a lot in this tournament, there's surely no nice way to land from that. Oh, and Kondo does one of the best powerslams EVER. I had to rewatch it a few times. Him and Susumu are doing a bit of a rope running/reversal exchange, he flings Susumu up as he's trying a 'rana then turns so Susumu's above his shoulders as if for a victory roll, then yanks him down over the shoulder into a powerslam in one snapping motion. Awesome. There's a restart in this one after some Red box and run in shenanigans. The tide turns against Aagan and they eventually secure some points through a double count out. They push a ring boy into Mochi to stop him getting back into the ring. Mochi is angry and kicks the poor kid rather hard. Aagan love it. The smug gits. 2. Super Shisa vs. The Florida ExpressThis match is evened up pre-match as Johnson agrees to tag with Shisa. They do the usually comedy stuff, Shisa and Johnson dominate but it's all headed for a dirty set up. With one of the Flobro outside, Johnson whips Shisa into the ropes so he can do that swank looking backwards vault into headscissors move. Immediately after this Johnson lays down and allows t'other Florida Brother to pin him, Shisa is amusingly peeved. It actually caught me by surprise too, those dastardly Florida Brothers eh, can't beat'em. 4. Brother YASSHI, Shuji Kondo, Takuya Sugawara vs. Milano Collection AT, Anthony W. Mori, YOSSINOThese teams don't get along. In fact, I'll go so far as to say they dislike each other. Right from the bell it's brawling and angriness. With Sugawara and Mori, the face/heel dynamic is somewhat unusual. Given everything that's happened between them, in normal circumstances you might expect Antony to be the aggressor. This isn't the case however, as Sugawara's desire to hurt Antony remains. This whole match is quite tense, back and forth with both teams coming desperately close to winning it and looking like it could be over at any second. Eventually Sugawara is able to sneak the win after a Shiisanputa on Yossino in the midst of some box based cheating. Good sub-15 minute match and a fine taster for their big final match. 4. Florida Express vs. Don Fujii, Second Doi, Naoki TanisakiThis one is rather odd. FloExpress do a lot of the usual comedy stuff (including that neat three man posing thing and Naoki giving Iwasa a quick 'how to escape an arm wringer' tutorial), but they also dish out some pretty severe punishment. It starts when Naoki ignores Michael's invisible barrier. He punches Iwasa, who takes exception and lariats his fuggin head off. I was stunned, totally unexpected harshness. They then whip him into the corner and mash his face in with some nasty and rather stiff looking running attacks. I guess even the Florida Brothers see Naoki as a whipping boy. Anyway, the inevitable screw job follows, but with a twist. Both the Aiipas and the Flobro manage to catch their opponent in an incriminating fake kick to the balls position. Both teams think they've won, the ref disqualifies both teams, nobody is too happy about it. Pretty fun stuff with some surprising violence.5. CIMA, Shingo Takagi, TARU vs. Milano Collection AT, Anthony W. Mori, YOSSINOOK, so I was cheering for CrazyMAX here. They've always been my favourite Toryumon/DG faction and they were having a pretty bad time of it in this tournament. It might be my interest in CrazyMAX winning having an added influence but I thought this was really great. Shingo and Antony's mat wrestling to start, TARU as an absolute power house, CIMA bringing his usual second wind towards the end, Yossino sprinting around like a nutter and Milano keeping his team in it. Antony used the escargot too, I've missed that move! Kudos for Shingo for his commitment to the old school atomic drop too. Yeah, anyway, this rules. Frantic, edge of the seat stuff (particularly if you have a strong preference over the winner). The thing that hits you during these mad six mans is that everyone really really wants to win the damn thing. Whether it's Milano's look of furious determination as he prepares to hit a face buster on Shingo or TARU hanging onto Yossino for dear life as he holds him in place for CIMA's Venus punch, they all show such desperation to win that you can't help being drawn into it. Indeed, I thought this part of JPayCn's review was absolutely spot on:

This is the great thing about DGate/Toryumon sixmans- they?ve done so many that they totally understand all the nuances of them. They?re always attempting saves off pinfalls or blocking their opponents from making them, they cut off the ring super-effectively, and they?re always scrambling for the advantage ?in short, they?re doing what a cohesive team would do if wrestling was ?real.?

Eventually the CMAX team bag the points following the classic CIMA combination of Venus > Iconoclasm > Mad Splash on Antony. Yay! 6. Brother YASSHI, Shuji Kondo, Takuya Sugawara vs. Second Doi, Don Fujii, Naoki TanisakiCouldn't really see anything other than an Aagan win here. The Aiipa trio fight valiantly but Aagan always look like the likely winners, largely due to Naoki being quite the weak link. He kicks out of a lot of stuff and is very heroic, then Kondo absolutely murderizes his face with the King Kong lariat and the lights are out. Pretty good underdog vs dominant heel affair, but sadly a bit predictable too. So Aagan top the table on 8 points, but there are now three teams on 6 points and thus there is no final. The only solution, naturally, is a crazy nine man three way tag match~! 7. Rey de Parejas 2nd place deciding match:Milano Collection AT/Yossino/Antony W Mori vs Genki Horiguchi/Dragon Kid/Ryo Saito vs Masaaki Mochizuki/Susumu Yokosuka/K-NessYes! Yes yes! This is greatness from start to finish. Genki, Milano and K-Ness do a tentative three way stand off that progresses into some silky smooth three way chain wrestling that picks upspeed and is quite stunning to watch. It's all quite nervy and no one knows who to trust, and the numbers involved means that anyone who manages to get some momentum going can only do so for a short burst. Yossino does a blisteringly fast rope running sequence on Kid, disorientating him until he eventually hits a running drop kick. Susumu comes in and tries the same on Yossino, but Yossino just calmly moves (or more accurately struts) out of the way of his dropkick when it comes with a "too slow, bitch" look on his face. In the grand scheme of things, everyone wants to win, but there are sub plots. Antony and Ryo find themselves in direct opposition, do they team up, do they fight each other? They do both, but Ryo gives into the urge to take advantage of Mori's naivety. There are some really great three way sequences with these two and Mochi in which the alliances alter constantly as the move goes on. Antony loses out and suffers some evil quadruple team old school Do Fixer offence from Susumu, Genki, Ryo and K-Ness.Yossino and K-Ness have history, they produced quality matches, they were rivals but they're all buddy-buddy these days. What happens? Well, one rather special spot sums it up. Someone is down (forgive me forgetting who) and Yossino tries to put the Sol Naciente on him. K-Ness shoves hima way and tries to put his owan variant that he invented during his feud with Yossino, Sol Noches Es, on instead. Yossino takes exception, but they settle on a compromise and do a sort of double team hybrid of both, one on each arm. That really made me smile. :) They do the 'everyone puts everyone else in a hold' thing with grounded head scissors. It ends up forming a complete circle with only Genki missing. In a fun moment he actually tries to muscle in on it, first trying to apply a hold of his own, then trying to trap his own head in there so as not to be left out. Eventually he's forced to do the traditional thing and kick everyone. Everyone rises up and does angry stares, Genki shits himself, then in a new twist they introduce the 'everyone puts Genki in a hold' spot. Heheheh. Susumu holding Kid up for a brainbuster for a long, long time then shifting him up and hitting a Takai Takai brainbuster of sorts is a neat moment. Mochi then makes everyone step aside and claims he wants to do it as well, before cheekily hitting a snap suplex on Kid and trying to sneak the win. The tempo speeds up and continues to build until Genki is eventually put away following a Yokosuka cutter, elminating DF. M2K and ItaConne go back and forth, with the ItaConne's weak link, Antony, nearly costing them the fall. Eventually Aagan turn up and draw Mochi and K-ness away, leaving Susumu outnumbered. He eventually succumbs to the IR suplex. Really good match, one of the best of 2004 in my opinion. Post match, Aagan attack Yossino and smash his arm with a sledgehammer. Ouch.This sets the stage for a dramatic final, with an angry, determined but wounded ItaConne facing up to the dominant Aagan Iisou. 8. Rey de Parejas final match to crown the first Open the triangle gate champions: Milano Collection AT, Yossino and Antony W Mori vs Shuji Kondo, Takuya Sugawara and brother YASSHIA great final, not much to add to JPayCn's excellent review of it. Me:

With Sugawara and Mori, the face/heel dynamic is somewhat unusual. Given everything that's happened between them, in normal circumstances you might expect Antony to be the aggressor. This isn't the case however, as Sugawara's desire to hurt Antony remains.

Well, Antony certainly sorts that out in this match, at one point he gets Sugawara in a mount position and unloads on him with fore arms. Nice. Post match Sugawara is all furious again, the ItaConne boys celebrate with their shiny new belts.After this they show CIMA telling the fans about the imminent disbanding of CrazyMAX, then TARU talking about his departure. :(On the whole a quality episode of infinity. Almost entirely comprised of top notch RDP six man tags. Stand out matches are the last two, but I also thought CMAX vs ItaConne was supoib.

I watched Infinity #7!

No # 6 ?Im just about to dip into it after finally getting them after an eon of waiting. I'll try and fill in the gap but as im still quite clueless I'll do the best I can. The more I read this thread the more I think catching up starting from Novembers TV and PPV is going to be like watching Dads Army though instead of saying "He's Dead and he's dead but he's still alive" etc it will be "He's gone and he's gone but he's still there"

• Paid Members

Infinity #6 is a highlights show for a PPV I've already seen in full so I didn't bother with it. I've watched the November PPV up to the main event now, thoughts will be coming shortly.

Yeah, watch out for the recap shows. Generally, every other TV show is a clipped four-month-old PPV. This can work for you or against you - if you don't mind waiting you can get a nearly-intact PPV on one disk instead of two, thus saving cash, but you can easily end up ordering one by mistake if you were looking for new TV.

The Media section of Jae's fantastic site is the place to check.

JLM - keep up the good work, sir. November was another top month, if you ask me. :thumbsup:

• Paid Members

November PPV watched. I told you I'd speed up a bit. I went into this one pretty much blind (aside from knowing the winner of the main) which was nice, had an almost live feel about it, watched the ring announcer announce the card etc.

The TV before this said it would be Mochi/Kondo for No#1 contendership. As I read the result so long ago I forgot about Fuji being added to it, not a bad thing.

Ryo/Genki/Kid vs Susumu/K-Ness/Araken

Really good opener. Although it's a fairly standard PPV filler match, this one is a cut above some the ones from earlier in the year. I liked.

Super Shisa vs JET~!

I was quite stunned when this was announced, hardly PPV caliber. Two Jet punch flurries successfully landed, Jet looked as shocked as me that he got to do it twice. :D

Then YASSHI and Sugawara beat up Shisa and it was thrown out in less than five minutes. Ho Hum.

ItaConne and Aagan have a bit of a ruck, Aagan coax ItaConne into making the six man match later on for the Triangle Gate.

Magu/FloXpress madness

So Magu comes out, does his dance then tries to leave. FloXpress coax him back in, which leads to..

Johnson Florida/Magu vs Danny/Michael

This is 12 seconds long, they pull the same stunt they did on Shisa. Heheheh.

Then they decide to do your more typical handicap Flobro match.

Magnum TOKYO vs Johnson Florida/Danny Mishima/Michael Iwasa

Usual funny FloBro stuff. Magu takes Johnson backstage with some brawly goodness. Johnson goes behind a door, then comes back out looking about 50 pounds heavier. Hold on a sec..

Everyone everywhere except Magu realises a switcheroo has been pulled and he now has a fresh Meestah Kenskee in a headlock. The Do-Fixer boys at ringside trying to tell him is hilarious. Sasaki hurts Magu a bit, he is unmasked and tries to hide his face, intrusions happen, it's all thrown out. All funny and entertaining stuff, thumbs up.

There's a lengthy segment after this with Okamura (who is becoming quite a regular on screen guy I notice) and Kanda. I *think* they organise some kind of mask vs mask match involving Kid and Johnson. Magu and DF bugger off and say something about Kid being the new leader, leaving an uncomfortable Kid to handle the closing MC duties.

Second Doi/Naoki Tanisaki vs Shingo Takagi/CIMA

Yes~! This is great. Tanisaki hates Shingo, there is furious anger and intense fighting. CIMA gets all pissed off that Tanisaki disrespects him and Shingo. Tanisaki pisses Doi off too with his new found arseholeness. Really good match, Shingo eventually goes down after a CIMA mistake leaves him prone to a Bakatare sliding kick. This bodes very well for future Tanisaki/Shingo altercations. CIMA tries to do some talking post match and Naoki smacks him in the face, CIMA looks genuinely shocked. Eventually Doi puts Tanisaki in his place with a Bakatare sliding kick. All of that was excellent, angry Tanisaki rules it.

Do Fixer show up post match in white outfits, I didn't really get this... it seems like they were impressed with Tanisaki's new attitude and he's given formal entry into DF, but I could be wrong.

Milano Collection AT/Yossino/Antony W Mori © vs Touru Owashi/Takuya Sugawara/Brother YASSHI

Really can't go wrong with any Aagan combination vs ItaConne at this point. Heated stuff, back and forth, Aagan have a period of dominance, then when ItaConne take over and look set to win it the Aagan boys resort to some ref violence and take a no contest. Another good outing, shame it didn't go a bit longer than 12-13 minutes.

Don Fujii vs Masaaki Mochizuki vs Shuji Kondo

I liked this too, have to say it's a pretty solid PPV. Jet/Shisa is filler (though not long enough to be actively bad, and it wasn't really that bad anyway) but everything else is well worth a watch. This has a good main event feel about it, hard hitting and dramatic, as you'd expect from the promotion's hardest kicker and two of it's power fighters. 15 minutes is about right for this as the brutality of much of the offence would make 30 minutes seem unfeasible. Special mention to the need spot where Mochi flips through a German suplex only to fall right into Fuji's Nice German. I notice JFFC used that in his recent music video. Mochi eventually scores the win with a Dragon suplex on Fuji with Kondo down on the outside.

Post match CIMA and Mochi exchange banter. CIMA drops Mochi with a Schwein and Fuji does a mock three count. CIMA then takes the ODG contenders' key back and tries to leave, only to meet a wall of Final M2K members. Mochi kicks him hard in the gut and takes the key back. Ooh. Nice little closing bit that.

A really enjoyable pay per view on the whole, with Tanisaki's strong performance probably being the stand out for me. On to infinity 9, then the December PPV and I'll be up to 2005! Hooray!

Infinity #6 is a highlights show for a PPV I've already seen in full so I didn't bother with it. I've watched the November PPV up to the main event now, thoughts will be coming shortly.

Worked that out for myself last night after looking at listings for prior shows/PPV's. Luckily I had not seen the PPV so it worked for me this time but thanks to your posts I wont be making the obvious mistake again.Im still at the stage where most Dragon Gate matches are better than a lot of the stuff I've been watching previously so everything seems new to me but I'll probably start to get more cynical towards some things as my viewing grows.The highlights of #6 were for me the Usual Florida Bros D.Q stuff (Not long ago watched the T2P Debut Show and the ref is on that show isnt he ? 1st or 2nd match possibly Takayuki Yagi ??) I absolutely loved the last three matches with the Mori/Sugawara hair stuff and Genki Horiguchi is fast becoming my favourite guy in any promotion. The finish of the CIMA/TARU vs. Genki Horiguchi/Ryo Saito match was an absolute cracker even if it wasn't quite pulled off to perfection.The No1 Contenders match had some great stuff notably Milano tying everyone up including an interfering Sugawara, Great match all round.Now all I have to do is find out finishing move names etc and I'll feel less of a novice in the ways of Dragon Gate.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Takayuki Yagi was the T2P guy with the Fisherman gimmick. He lost an odd hair vs hair match with Kenichiro Arai in which the loser had to grow their hair out which is why he has a full head of hair these days. He joined the Italian connection in its early days, changing his name to Pescatore Yagi. He didn't fare too well and eventually disappeared for a bit to "work in his family's bakery". He returned as Bakery Yagi with a "hitting people with a baguette" gimmick. Yeah. Then he became a full time referee. He's the referee for every Florida Brothers match up until the debut of Johnson Florida.

Archived