The Dragon Gate thread

JLM

Mr. JFFC what can io expect from the Best f Dragon Gate 2004 DVD on its way too me??? Really intrested to see some of it after hearing so much.

You get a little bit of everything Dragon Gate has to offer on the DVD comp. FloBro are one of (if not the) best comedy act going in wrestling today. Add to that, Dragon Gate to the best multiman tag matches anywhere in the world and then you also get the very serious side of DG with an ODG title match capping off each DVD.I think all the DG bases are covered with the comp :)Its being sent today btw, just waiting for it to stop pissing down with rain :p

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mr. JFFC what can io expect from the Best f Dragon Gate 2004 DVD on its way too me???  Really intrested to see some of it after hearing so much.

You get a little bit of everything Dragon Gate has to offer on the DVD comp. FloBro are one of (if not the) best comedy act going in wrestling today. Add to that, Dragon Gate to the best multiman tag matches anywhere in the world and then you also get the very serious side of DG with an ODG title match capping off each DVD.I think all the DG bases are covered with the comp :)Its being sent today btw, just waiting for it to stop pissing down with rain :p
lol. Fair enough i didnt send out a DVD one day cos of a slight wind :D Glad to hear their is a bit of everything. Who is the green dude in the mask that is used alot on the MV???

Who is the green dude in the mask that is used alot on the MV???

Dragon Kid, spot-monkey-cum-Dickensian-urchin. (Damn you John, but I just can't get that comparison out of my head. :/)

Guest JPaCyN

Who is the green dude in the mask that is used alot on the MV???

Dragon Kid, spot-monkey-cum-Dickensian-urchin. (Damn you John, but I just can't get that comparison out of my head. :/)
I really enjoy reading this thread, since not many sites review DG/Toryumon. Thought: Dragon Kid is always pimped as "someone WWE or TNA should sign if they want a cruiser division" but I swear those people have never actually SEEN him and only say that because of his name. I'm really not all that impressed by an offense that's 99% headscissor/rana variants, and he looks like a goof in that printed t-shirt he wears now (he used to have actual muscle definition, what happened?) and there's easily about 10 or so guys in Dragon Gate who are better than him right now.

I don't think many regular DG fans would disagree with you. I certainly don't. He's a talented guy who's gained both confidence and popularity in the last six months, but he's still nowhere near being my favourite DG wrestler.

Dragon Kid always makes me think of Rey Misterio Jr. circa 1993, but without the X-factor. Misterio has improved immesurably, but DK seems, through my sporadic Toryumon viewing, the same level as he was five years ago.

• Paid Members

Right, I just watched the announcement, and whilst a direct translation is impossible (too many idioms to accurately do so), I can give you the gist (although you probably already knew what it was):

Aagan Iisou have, with effect from December 31st, been expelled from the company. The basis of every company's product is its wrestlers, and the basis of every wrestler is their attitude, both in the ring and out. This company expects all its wrestlers to truly apply themselves to maintaining a proper attitude in both these fields, and if they can't do that, the company does not need them. Magnum TOKYO, CIMA, Mochizuki, etc., all have the correct attitude, as do many of the wrestlers who remain, and will continue to entertain you. With this in mind, we respectfully ask you, the patrons for your continued support.

(I might have missed out a couple of sentences.)

BLT, could anyone tell me what exactly it was Aagan Iisou did to earn this expulsion?

• Paid Members

BLT, could anyone tell me what exactly it was Aagan Iisou did to earn this expulsion?

Nobody knows exactly, it's all shrouded in mystery, as are many Toryumon/Dragongate exits, you get used to it. The odd thing is that the entire faction was expelled en masse, particularly as Sugawara hadn't even been with them for that long. All very odd.

• Paid Members

Nobody knows exactly, it's all shrouded in mystery, as are many Toryumon/Dragongate exits, you get used to it. The odd thing is that the entire faction was expelled en masse, particularly as Sugawara hadn't even been with them for that long. All very odd.
And it's definite it wasn't a work to make them look more bad-ass, and to set them up for a shock return?

(those avoiding SPOILERS may not want to see this)Picture here.

Fuck... :( I haven't seen any Dragon Gate shows yet; nothing since El Numero Uno 2004, and really ought to start checking out these new shows. JFFC's music video is cool...that title belt is fucking atrocious.Any Genki comps going anywhere?

Just a slight correction to your translation.One thing that Okamura said that was really a stinging statement at the time, and made the situation seem so severe was while discussing conduct, he said that it didn't matter even it was CIMA, Magnum, or Mochizuki, if they didn't have the proper conduct and attitude, they would also be dismissed. Made it seem like whatever Aagan had done, it was awful enough to warrant firing the signboard players if it was them.*shrug*Done and gone, and Aagan really isn't too missed in the grand scheme of things.

• Paid Members

Firstly, yes! Get DG shows in and post and stuff, you're all coherent and worth reading but many of your posts used to be lost on me, being about CZw and stuff. Second..

that title belt is fucking atrocious.

But but but but... the gate on the front opens up and has the champion's name plaque inside, and the challenger gets a key as a symbol of his chance to Open the Dream Gate! Best thing ever! I'll concede that it is perhaps a tad unsightly mind.

Guest JPaCyN

Aagan really isn't too missed in the grand scheme of things.

The only two guys from Aagan I miss are Kondo and Sugawara. Kondo was seriously needed as a ME player, as evidenced by the fact that there has been exactly ONE ODG title match since Mochizuki won the belt in NOVEMBER. Sugawara was primed to be the next big breakout heel and I really enjoyed his feud with Mori. It's good to see Kondo is ripping it up in the big time with All Japan though...and I'm hoping Sugawara lands on his feet with a DG return, a spot in MPro or joining a restarted Toryumon fed. The other three guys I could seriously do without- Owashi was seriously blech and I'm *really* glad he's gone (the ME of the 8/28 PPV was proof- the other 3 guys all had to work around him, wrecking what could have been an awesome match, and he STILL didn't drop a fall clean), YASSHI is in theory a very good heel but I just found him annoying more than anything, and Jet, while he has a fun bit of charisma, was on the bottom tier of DG skillwise, and arguably the least skilled of the whole roster.

Kondo was seriously needed as a ME player, as evidenced by the fact that there has been exactly ONE ODG title match since Mochizuki won the belt in NOVEMBER.

But that's not unusual in puro terms. Since the matches are presented as real fights, they make more of a deal of training before and recovery times after title matches. The main singles belts in other puro feds are only defended about four times a year, too. There's an ODG match booked for the May Korakuen Hall show, and you have to expect it to be defended at the World show, so all in all that doesn't strike me as bad going.

I'm hoping Sugawara lands on his feet with a DG return, a spot in MPro or joining a restarted Toryumon fed.

I don't think a spot in MPro counts as 'landing on your feet' these days. :( But I hope he carries on somewhere. What JLM said earlier in the thread about the believability of his hate for Mori and his sadism towards him was spot on.

YASSHI is in theory a very good heel but I just found him annoying more than anything

But... but... the ball claws... the middle fingers... the blowing-his-ball-sweat-in-your-face... that cool thing he does where he tags in just to talk trash and then tags out again...YASSHI was all kinds of awesome. :(

Guest JPaCyN

Oh yeah dude...I know most people love YASSHI, and I can see why- my dislike is personal preference more than anything, can't really explain it. Might also be because his ringwork was 10x better as YASSINI (I think that was the result of his arm injury though). And thanks for the clarification on the title defenses -I just thought 1 every 2 months or so was the norm in DG - considering CIMA defended the belt at the Sept. and Dec. PPVs, and I remember Magnum having a bunch of defenses in fairly quick succession during his UDG reign (Milano, Araken, SUWA).Re: the ODG, I'm just concerned that they really don't have a strong challenger lined up for Mochizuki at this point -I don't think anyone buys Don Fujii as the next challenger, Doi is occupied, and it's pretty certain Milano is gone - all I can see is them maybe giving Ryo Saito a second shot, or having Mori pull a shock upset to establish PoS Hearts as a threat.

Archived