Awards Moderator Frankie Crisp Posted January 24 Awards Moderator Posted January 24 Formerly Best Podcast
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted January 24 Paid Members Posted January 24 I love Wrestle Me! but I’d love to see RJ and Hey EW! get their due. Given that Hey EW! Is now over, it’s the last chance for this to happen, so I really hope it does and we don’t end up with a Hey EW! shaped gap on our awards history.
Paid Members gmoney Posted January 24 Paid Members Posted January 24 I hope WrestleMe wins it, because it's much better that Hey EW.
Paid Members mim731 Posted February 5 Paid Members Posted February 5 I voted for Wrestle Me, but a tiny part of me would enjoy the idea of Mark having a bit of (tongue-in-cheek) rant about losing to Hey! EW.
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted February 5 Paid Members Posted February 5 11 hours ago, mim731 said: I voted for Wrestle Me, but a tiny part of me would enjoy the idea of Mark having a bit of (tongue-in-cheek) rant about losing to Hey! EW. They’ve overtaken Hey EW now, so if they do win your vote was presumably a clincher. C’mon RJ, I’m rooting for you!!
Chili Posted February 5 Posted February 5 (edited) I voted Wrestle Me because it's still absurdly funny. Much like the Vault last year, they're the underdogs. Plus their YouTube channel is absolutely superb. If RJ had taken a leaf from Marc & Pete and continually ending up referencing Peter Sutcliffe, he might've swung it. Edited February 5 by Chili
Paid Members Chris B Posted February 6 Paid Members Posted February 6 (edited) So, since it's clear from their latest episode that WrestleMe have some strong thoughts about whether they should win or not, I thought I'd ask the other front-runner to find out if he also had strong thoughts. He did. Even their main competitor agrees. It's WrestleMe all the way for me, lads. Edited February 6 by Chris B
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted February 6 Paid Members Posted February 6 9 hours ago, Chili said: I voted Wrestle Me because it's still absurdly funny. Much like the Vault last year, they're the underdogs. Plus their YouTube channel is absolutely superb. If RJ had taken a leaf from Marc & Pete and continually ending up referencing Peter Sutcliffe, he might've swung it. Fair dos for most of this, but I have to take exception to the suggestion the winner for the last five years is an underdog! They’re the titans in this category. Here’s my pitch for Hey EW!, although I think Wrestle Me has clinched it now - we don’t hand out physical awards obviously, but what we do well (or @Frankie Crisp and @HarmonicGenerator do brilliantly - I can’t exactly take credit) is document history and great moments in wrestling. We have our awards history section, dating back to 2002. Scroll through it, and you’ll be reminded of loads of things you’ve forgotten - Britt Baker wasn’t always shit, the best match of the year often isn’t the best-remembered. And that’s why I want Hey EW! to win - life will move on, and people won’t remember it. Wrestle Me’s UKFF legacy is already secured - in 5/10 years time, the UKFFers of then will log on, see their dominance and if they’re unaware of the show, rightly check it out. I want fans of the future who maybe haven’t heard about Hey EW! to see things like our awards section, think ‘I’ve never heard of that’ and seek out this brilliant content long after it’s part of the ongoing wrestling conversation. I love Wrestle Me - it’s possibly my favourite wrestling show ever - but I also love the idea of the UKFF documenting things that deserve to be remembered- which we do, and have the chance to do here. So that’s my pitch. Sorry RJ, but you deserve this one.
Paid Members wandshogun09 Posted February 6 Paid Members Posted February 6 Never heard Hey EW so it’s one of the other two for me. And it was a tough one because I absolutely love WCW and the Vault has been a joy. But it had to be Wrestle Me. The YouTube channel, putting the visuals to the subject matter, is brilliant. And the videos are usually just the right amount of time to whack on and enjoy but without them taking up a huge chunk of your day. Plus the WCW Vault uploaded Fall Brawl 93 in full so that’s a mark against them.
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted February 6 Paid Members Posted February 6 7 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said: Never heard Hey EW so it’s one of the other two for me. And it was a tough one because I absolutely love WCW and the Vault has been a joy. But it had to be Wrestle Me. The YouTube channel, putting the visuals to the subject matter, is brilliant. And the videos are usually just the right amount of time to whack on and enjoy but without them taking up a huge chunk of your day. Plus the WCW Vault uploaded Fall Brawl 93 in full so that’s a mark against them. Are you a member of their Patreon? I’d highly recommend it if not - their podcasts are great, and there’s also a monthly newsletter by Marc that is worth the price of admission alone. You can watch Hey EW! here if you want to give it a try. All jokes aside, either would be a worthy winner of this prize. Marc and Pete have produced arguably the best wrestling podcast ever and Hey EW is arguably the best YouTube wrestling show ever.
Paid Members gmoney Posted February 6 Paid Members Posted February 6 5 hours ago, RedTwoster said: Fair dos for most of this, but I have to take exception to the suggestion the winner for the last five years is an underdog! They’re the titans in this category. Here’s my pitch for Hey EW!, although I think Wrestle Me has clinched it now - we don’t hand out physical awards obviously, but what we do well (or @Frankie Crisp and @HarmonicGenerator do brilliantly - I can’t exactly take credit) is document history and great moments in wrestling. We have our awards history section, dating back to 2002. Scroll through it, and you’ll be reminded of loads of things you’ve forgotten - Britt Baker wasn’t always shit, the best match of the year often isn’t the best-remembered. And that’s why I want Hey EW! to win - life will move on, and people won’t remember it. Wrestle Me’s UKFF legacy is already secured - in 5/10 years time, the UKFFers of then will log on, see their dominance and if they’re unaware of the show, rightly check it out. I want fans of the future who maybe haven’t heard about Hey EW! to see things like our awards section, think ‘I’ve never heard of that’ and seek out this brilliant content long after it’s part of the ongoing wrestling conversation. I love Wrestle Me - it’s possibly my favourite wrestling show ever - but I also love the idea of the UKFF documenting things that deserve to be remembered- which we do, and have the chance to do here. So that’s my pitch. Sorry RJ, but you deserve this one. Publicly voted awards should be a document of what people thought was best at that time. I don't think we should be trying to engineer a win for something because you're concerned that people might not remember it in the future otherwise. If that's the case, it's probably not worth an award. It's that sort of thinking that leads to Martin Scorsese getting an Oscar for a mediocre work because people feel sorry that his other, better films missed out.
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted February 6 Paid Members Posted February 6 (edited) 2 hours ago, gmoney said: Publicly voted awards should be a document of what people thought was best at that time. I don't think we should be trying to engineer a win for something because you're concerned that people might not remember it in the future otherwise. If that's the case, it's probably not worth an award. It's that sort of thinking that leads to Martin Scorsese getting an Oscar for a mediocre work because people feel sorry that his other, better films missed out. Totally agree in principle - but I still think Hey EW! deserves to win. When two contenders are pretty even on quality, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to factor in context. One has dominated for years, while the other is coming to an end - possibly permanently - and that feels worth acknowledging. Wrestle Me obviously isn’t an undeserving winner by any stretch, though - it’s one of the best wrestling shows ever and for me personally it might even be my favourite wrestling shows ever. But for me, the margins are pretty fine here, so I’m comfortable looking at what has won before, and what hasn’t - then making my decision based on that this year. Just because I’m concerned something might be forgotten, doesn’t mean it’s not worth remembering…or an award. (That said, Wrestle Me has almost certainly won this now so perhaps I should just say ‘LOL joking guys!’ and pretend I was on the winning team all along…) Edited February 6 by RedTwoster
Paid Members gmoney Posted February 6 Paid Members Posted February 6 Fair enough, for me the quality gap is pretty massive.
Recommended Posts