Is it worth a watch?

cobra_gordo

Posted (edited)

This may die on it's arse and I know we've got the recently watched thread and the recommendations thread but I wanted a way of putting films we're thinking of watching to the forum to decide if they're worth a look or not. My free-time is at a premium and I don't want to sit through something for two hours when I could have been watching something better or doing the pots or pulling up weeds. Plus I think we've got some clued up people on here and I genuinely value a lot of the posters on here's film recommendations more than the likes of IMDB or a Rotten Tomatoes score. 

What's inspired the thread is that I was scrolling through Amazon Prime earlier to find a film to watch that I've never seen before and tucked in there was Peeping Tom. All I know is that it's regarded as the first slasher film but that's about it. The Wicker Man was right next to it and that film is like a comfort blanket so it's on in the meantime whilst I get some opinions. 

So what I want to know is, is it worth a watch and why. And if it's not, what's a better alternative. Feel free to post films you've been putting off watching and want some help deciding.

Edited by cobra_gordo

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, cobra_gordo said:

What's inspired the thread is that I was scrolling through Amazon Prime earlier to find a film to watch that I've never seen before and tucked in there was Peeping Tom. All I know is that it's regarded as the first slasher film but that's about it. The Wicker Man was right next to it and that film is like a comfort blanket so it's on in the meantime whilst I get some opinions. 

Peeping Tom is a great film but you have to patient with it. It's far more psychology than thriller or horror but a great piece of work if you are prepared to stick with it. Nothing at all like The Wicker Man though.

23 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Peeping Tom is a great film but you have to patient with it. It's far more psychology than thriller or horror but a great piece of work if you are prepared to stick with it. Nothing at all like The Wicker Man though.

This is exactly the sort of thing I ned to know because I'd potentially be zoning out and turning it off after 10 minutes but if I know it's one to stick with then I can hang in there. Assumed it wouldn't be like The Wicker Man but it's one I can watch anytime. I'm assuming Peeping Tom is closer to Psycho?

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

I'm assuming Peeping Tom is closer to Psycho?

Yes it is. It's more of a character study. I think it's a truly great film and an influential one but I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, and especially not if you're looking for something more instantly enjoyable.

• Paid Members

I enjoyed the first two Guardians of the Galaxy films but I heard the third one has a bunch of animal abuse in it and I'm not sure the enjoyment of the parts around it will be worth how bummed out the animal bits will make me. Is it worth bothering with?

12 minutes ago, FLips said:

I enjoyed the first two Guardians of the Galaxy films but I heard the third one has a bunch of animal abuse in it and I'm not sure the enjoyment of the parts around it will be worth how bummed out the animal bits will make me. Is it worth bothering with?

I thought it wrapped up the trilogy really well. And yeah, I get the concerns about that stuff, but it put a lot of necessary emotion into it. I'd say it's a really good ending and worth the emotional impact.

Never been into Kaiju films but have heard Godzilla Minus One is absolutely amazing, emotional and exciting all rolled into one.

Was wanting to watch it but never got round to it, got nothing much on tomorrow and probably missed peoples opinions on it in the film thread can anyone vouch for it?

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Never been into Kaiju films but have heard Godzilla Minus One is absolutely amazing, emotional and exciting all rolled into one.

Was wanting to watch it but never got round to it, got nothing much on tomorrow and probably missed peoples opinions on it in the film thread can anyone vouch for it?

@Jazzy G is the kaiju expert round here, I'd tap into his opinion if I were you before watching it.

Personally, I thought it was fantastic, one of the best films of last year. All the more amazing when you see it and realise how much (little) it cost to make.

5 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Its really great. Even the human parts were good. And Godzilla is scary again. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Heres one that I've never watched but often thought about. Das Boot. Worth it?

Four and a half solid entertainment hours.

55 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Only watched it recently but easily the best Godzilla movie in a long time and one of my favourite movies in general from the last few years. Definitely worth it.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I found a 3 and a half hours version. Can I please just watch that?

No, watch the full version like a real man. In one go.

Seriously though, watch the fullest version you can find. The mini-series cut runs to about 5 hours but it's honestly worth it. Don't know what versions are out there though.