Knockout Chaos: Joshua vs Ngannou - Mar 8 🇸🇦🥊

wandshogun09

Who wins?   

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The only reason people thought Ngannou won was because of how much he exceeded expectations. It’s like when Dennis Rodman did an arm drag and people went nuts, or when Kate Middleton played the piano and people acted like she was Lang Lang. 

If that was Big Francis’s 30th boxing match, no eyelids would’ve been batted at the decision. 

• Paid Members

To come back to the actual original point, which was about being able to market Ngannou vs. AJ: I'd say that, regardless of the result, Ngannou provided the promoters with enough material to hype this fight up by exceeding expectations and going toe-to-toe with Fury, and even knocking him down at one point. It wouldn't have been such an effective sell, even with good promoters, if Ngannou hadn't managed that.

1 minute ago, Carbomb said:

To come back to the actual original point, which was about being able to market Ngannou vs. AJ: I'd say that, regardless of the result, Ngannou provided the promoters with enough material to hype this fight up by exceeding expectations and going toe-to-toe with Fury, and even knocking him down at one point. It wouldn't have been such an effective sell, even with good promoters, if Ngannou hadn't managed that.

100%. He isn’t seen as a novelty after running the world’s top heavyweight close. That’s the big difference in fans eyes between him and, for example, Jake Paul and Tommy Fury. 

When someone exceeds expectations in any sport it makes people take notice. Its not unusual, or new. 

It's part of human nature. 

It's pretty simple, was it a one off, or can he do it again? Tune in to find out. 

Course you can't get carried away, interviewers this fight week asking Cooper if he they have plans to become undisputed is crazy talk, but as for him vs AJ it's definitely interesting.

Edited by NeverYield

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, NeverYield said:

When someone exceeds expectations in any sport it makes people take notice. Its not unusual, or new. 

Apologies if I've got this wrong, but I wasn't saying that it was. Just that that was what I thought made it easier for Ngannou's marketing team. David's original point was that he has a hell of a marketing team to enable this level of interest in a match with AJ, despite being 0-1. This is true, but I also think they would've been a bit shite not to be able to do something with the buzz that Big Fran generated with his performance.

The point I was making originally has gotten rather lost I think. What I'm pointing out is how well Joshua's team do at marketing him, and making his fights all seem like a really big deal and something worth watching. Joshua plays a huge part in that process as well.

While I feel that Fury isn't seen the same. I don't think his team is anywhere near as professional, or as good at marketing him or his fights. He doesn't help matters either.

It would have been interesting to see what Fury's career would have been like had he gone down the route of working with Hearn instead of Warren. 

• Paid Members

Ah, for some reason I got muddled up and thought you were talking about Ngannou's promoters. My mistake, sorry.