UFC 298: Volkanovski vs Topuria - Feb 17 šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡ø

wandshogun09

Who wins?   

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

After a slow start to the year, NOW weā€™re talking. Off to California we goā€¦

IMG_0485.thumb.jpeg.33d480bc6c7c6a00b62567eb21ee076e.jpeg

PPV MAIN CARD
Alexander VolkanovskiĀ©ļøvs Ilia TopuriaĀ - Featherweight Title

Robert Whittaker vs Paulo CostaĀ 

Geoff Neal vs Ian Garry

Merab Dvalishvili vs Henry CejudoĀ 

Anthony Hernandez vs Roman KopylovĀ 

ESPN PRELIMSĀ 
Amanda Lemos vs Mackenzie DernĀ 

Marcos Rogerio De Lima vs Junior TafaĀ 

Rinya Nakamura vs Carlos VeraĀ 

Zhang Mingyang vs Brendson Ribeiro

ESPN+/FIGHT PASS PRELIMS
Danny Barlow vs Josh Quinlan

Val Woodburn vs Oban Elliott

Andrea Lee vs Miranda MaverickĀ Ā 

Ā 

Thatā€™s more like it! Love this card. Feel like itā€™s kind of snuck up on us a bit with all the focus being on 299 and 300, but this is quality. Hopefully whatā€™s there now stays intact. Before I could even start this thread, thereā€™d already been a few pullouts. Fingers crossed thatā€™s it now.

Ā 

Ā 

IMG_2709.jpeg.4d6ceefdbbe6e1bfac591c09b1101ff1.jpeg

Alexander Volkanovski vs Ilia Topuria is an absolute beast of a fight. I feel like itā€™s kind of getting lost in all the hype around UFC 299 and definitely the speculation surrounding UFC 300. But as a stand-alone fight, this genuinely might be the best on the schedule at the moment for me. Youā€™ve got the dominant champion whoā€™s turned back all challengers and heā€™s gonna be standing across from the most dangerous and promising of the new breed of Featherweights. I honestly believe Topuria is the best 145er to come along since Volk rose to the top of the division. Itā€™s such a cool fight. But the x-factor is the timing of it.

IMG_9076.thumb.jpeg.f06a74bce63ac4f4559f8644de18dda6.jpeg

Canā€™t really say much more about Volkanovski that we havenā€™t all said a hundred times already. One of greatest of all time and definitely one of the best fighters walking the planet right now. Heā€™s put together an incredible career. The 3 wins over Max Holloway alone is crazy enough. Then you add in wins over Jose Aldo, Brian Ortega, Yair Rodriguez, Korean Zombie, Chad Mendes. Itā€™s been a hell of a run so far. With all that said though, his 2023 didnā€™t go as heā€™d have liked. He went 1-2 last year but the 2 losses were up at Lightweight against the champ Islam Makhachev. When you go up in weight chasing greatness, well in Volkā€™s case even more greatness, it always comes with risk. And it wasnā€™t like there was anything to be ashamed of. The first fight in Perth in February was tremendous and by far one of the best fights of the year. He went back down to 145 in July to defend his title there, and completely outclassed Yair Rodriguez, stopping him in 3 rounds. Then in October came the Makhachev rematch.

IMG_1914.jpeg.afc71d0874a1f8abc485a31a7ec78c93.jpeg

And Volk got headkicked into oblivion in 3 minutes. Obviously that fight came about under far from ideal circumstances. Volk had stepped in on less than 2 weeks notice, replacing Charles Oliveira whoā€™d suffered a bad cut in training. So coming in last minute, and going up in weight, against a fighter the calibre of Makhachev was always gonna be an uphill battle. It doesnā€™t take away from his legacy and standing at Featherweight but it definitely puts a little dent in that bulletproof aura heā€™d had going into that fight. Before Oliveira dropped out, Volkanovski was all set to defend his Featherweight strap against Topuria.

IMG_7994.thumb.jpeg.041ae8d1dda3c27813d2c5b66066432c.jpeg

The two came face-to-face immediately following Volk mauling Yair. Nothing much happened but it got the old juices flowing. But then the opportunity to get that rematch with Makhachev presented itself and Volk jumped all over it. I understand why but it turned out to be a gamble that wasnā€™t really worth taking. Makhachev vs Volk 1 was so good and so close, many felt Volk shouldā€™ve got the decision. So a rematch seemed inevitable anyway down the line. But you really need a full camp for a fight like that. And now Volkā€™s 0-2 down and, especially with the way the rematch ended, a third fight is gonna be a hard sell. For now anyway. Volkā€™s gonna have to remind everyone who he is. Turning back around and taking on an animal like Topuria, if he wins itā€™s gonna go a long way towards doing just that.

IMG_2691.thumb.jpeg.6d39475c488a30d83a004b32488226e0.jpeg

Topuriaā€™s been threatening to become something special for a while now. Heā€™s Georgian/Spanish and undefeatedĀ at 14-0 with 12 of those wins coming inside the distance. He fought for the Cage Warriors and Brave promotions early in his career and made his UFC debut in late 2020 at just 8-0. I remember it well. It was right in the thick of the COVID/no fans in attendance days and Topuria had stepped in on short notice against Youssef Zalal. He won on points and I remember being very impressed right away with his grappling and also his pace and conditioning given the lack of prep time. He followed that up by smashing Damon Jackson to bits with his boxing in a round. So in just 2 fights, heā€™d already shown he had serious skills in the grappling and striking. From there he squashed the usually tricky Ryan Hall in a round. Then he ate a brutal flush headkick from Jai Herbert in London and came back to spark him out cold. So another question answered on his chin and heart. He took on Bryce Mitchell in December 2022 in a battle of unbeaten prospects and wrecked him. Beat Bryce up on the feet and surprised many by bossing the grappling as well, en route to submitting him in the second round. Then in his last fight in June, he battered Josh Emmett over 5 rounds and took a lopsided decision. Seriously, one judge scored it 50-42, thatā€™s how one sided it was. And it also answered the ā€˜can he go 5 roundsā€™ question. He looked great in that fight, gave Emmett a real boxing lesson.

Will this become reality? Topuria seems pretty confidentā€¦

IMG_5251.thumb.jpeg.11b505da099ff14f73b3a69ca6be2748.jpeg

ā€œFor me itā€™s going to be an easy fight. I will knock you out in the first round. Youā€™re old. Itā€™s time to retire. Itā€™s time to move on and make way for the new era of Topuria.ā€ - Ilia Topuria

Seen a bit of backlash to his outspokenness. He is coming off a bit cocky but I kind of like the attitude. I think the pushback is mostly because heā€™s aiming it at Volk whoā€™s so liked and respected. But I like that Topuriaā€™s showing a bit more edge and personality. To be honest, after the last couple of rancid PPV build ups, itā€™s refreshing just to see someone talk a bit of shit about what theyā€™re looking to do in the actual fight rather than going the personal attacks route. The only concern about this for me is heā€™s been going back and forth with Oā€™Malley and talking about fighting McGregor in Spain and all manner of wild stuff. Iā€™m sure heā€™s dialled in on the task at hand but you canā€™t be getting distracted with whatā€™s coming next when youā€™ve got a Volkanovski shaped hurdle to get past first.

Volkā€™s definitely taken note of Topuriaā€™s commentsā€¦

ā€œHeā€™s got to be confident. Thereā€™s confidence and then thereā€™s being delusional. I donā€™t mind the bloke but even the things he says, what heā€™s saying doesnā€™t really make sense. This Ilia fight? Not a challenge. I donā€™t need to pretend this is some crazy challenge to get me motivated. The way he talks, thatā€™s motivation.ā€

ā€œHe thinks heā€™s the man, letā€™s see if he is. Iā€™m ready for the best version that shows upĀ on February 17th.Ā So letā€™s see what we have in store. Iā€™m gonna be ready either way. I see heā€™s confident. Heā€™s a cocky, confident young dude. Letā€™s see if he can really bring it because I know Iā€™m gonna and I canā€™t wait to show him levels.ā€ - Alexander Volkanovski

I donā€™t think thereā€™s any real beef between them but thereā€™s clearly a bit of needle there. Both highly confident, both mega competitive, both see themselves as the big dog in the yard. I love this shit. Much prefer this to the desperate shite fight hype weā€™ve been fed lately. No need to fake anything or go overboard attacking family members and stuff here. The real good shit doesnā€™t need all that extra stuff. This is just 2 badass fighters gearing up to get locked in a cage with the gold on the line. Doesnā€™t need anything else. Inject it into my veins.

IMG_6338.thumb.jpeg.561ebd86e69718d932e6381fb2b435f3.jpeg

How do we see this going? Iā€™m leaning towards Volk because heā€™s Volk. Heā€™s definitely got the stronger and deeper resume, heā€™s got more experience against high level opposition, more experience in 5 round fights, heā€™s shown time and time again that heā€™s one of the most skilled fighters in the game. Butā€¦like I touched on at the beginning, the timing of this fight makes it very interesting. Heā€™s 35 years old now. Not ancient by any stretch and heā€™s really shown no signs of slowing down. But 35 is a very good innings for a lighter weight fighter. Then you factor in that heā€™s coming off a vicious knockout loss in October and wonā€™t have had much time off at all before diving back into another camp for this fight. I donā€™t know. Volkā€™s an amazing fighter and itā€™s worth noting heā€™s still undefeated at Featherweight. Iā€™m picking him but if there was ever a time that seemed ideal to maybeĀ possibly catch him, and if there was ever a fighter that seemed equipped to do the jobā€¦for me itā€™s now and itā€™s Topuria. Itā€™s truly a fascinating fight. The toughest one available for Volk in my opinion. But if he can beat Topuria like heā€™s been beating all these other contenders at 145, man, itā€™ll be a hell of a way to rehab his image after that last fight and heā€™ll have pretty much legitimately cleaned out the whole division.

Ā 

IMG_8945.jpeg.1f341da561f06c82f9fe540563409ddb.jpeg

Robert Whittaker vs Paulo Costa is supposed to be the co-main. Iā€™ll believe it when I see it. You just canā€™t rely on Costa to show up and I think at this point weā€™ve all been conditioned to expect him not to. This particular fight has already been attempted twice and fell through both times on Costaā€™s side. They were originally scheduled to headline a Fight Night in April 2021, then they were matched up for UFC 284 in February last year. Both times Costa cocked things up. Maybe itā€™ll be third time lucky but Iā€™m not holding my breath or anything.

IMG_3155.jpeg.6a017ab87906f0cea64a9fdfed30664e.jpeg

If the fight does go ahead, Iā€™m really hoping Whittaker can get back to winning ways. We havenā€™t seen him since that shock defeat to Dricus Du Plessis at UFC 290 in July. That oneā€™s probably gonna be retconned as time goes on and people will pretend they called it. But it was a shocker on the night. Even if you picked DDP to win, no-one expected him to batter Whittaker the way he did. After years of Whittaker being the nailed on #2 guy at Middleweight behind Adesanya, the division got flipped on its head last year and now Whittakerā€™s kind of in this weird no manā€™s land where heā€™s already pretty much fought everyone at 185 but a move down to 170 or up to 205 donā€™t seem likely either. And Costa, Iā€™ll be honest, Iā€™m just over it. If he turns up cool but I donā€™t really care if he never fights again. We last saw him beating up a shot to bits Luke Rockhold in August 2022. He then spent 2023 pulling out of fights with Whittaker and Ikram Aliskerov. If he actually fights, this should be fun. Iā€™m sceptical though. Wish weā€™d have got that Whittaker vs Usman fight we were on about before here instead. Who knows? When Costa inevitably pulls out again, maybe Usman will step in and replace him again like he did against Khamzat. Weā€™ll see. Donā€™t wanna be negative but I just canā€™t get up for Costa fights anymore because Iā€™m always just waiting for the cancellation.

Ā 

IMG_9158.jpeg.585388f2d9c852fe542fc1174186bab2.jpeg

Geoff Neal vs Ian Garry isĀ ***WANDā€™S ONE TO WATCH***Ā this time and I suspect itā€™ll be one of the more talked about and heated fights on the card by the time fight week rolls around. Thereā€™s bad blood here. Garry seems to be beefing with everyone but this Neal thing has been brewing for a while now. They were supposed to fight at UFC 292 in Boston last August but Neal had to pull out. Garry beat Neil Magny that night instead but before Neal withdrew, it was getting ugly.

IMG_2011.thumb.jpeg.c4636bc6ed3ba92457aedead3df7f8fa.jpeg

Wearing a shirt with your opponentā€™s mugshot on it is never gonna go down well, is it? Garry was talking shit when Neal pulled out of their fight as well. And Nealā€™s had months to sit and think about it. You know heā€™s gonna be extra motivated and looking to knock Garryā€™s head off. Beyond all that shite, itā€™s a really good fight in its own right. Garryā€™s ranked #10 now so heā€™s climbing, Nealā€™s ranked #8. Garryā€™s undefeatedĀ at 13-0, Nealā€™s 15-5. But despite having a few losses, Nealā€™s the toughest and most dangerous test yet for Garry, I reckon. Heā€™s got wins over Belal Muhammad and Santiago Ponzinibbio, brutally stopped Vicente Luque and gave Shavkat Rakhmonov his hardest fight yet. And itā€™s not like Garryā€™s unhittable. The likes of Song Kenan have tagged him and had him wobbled. Itā€™s a fight Garry needs to win if heā€™s gonna back up his trash talk and live up to what he says he is. Heā€™s looked good so far but this is definitely a risky one for him. Should be an exciting fight.

Ā 

IMG_8944.jpeg.32f95c4291b1bfee15f2b1b80e434db1.jpeg

Merab Dvalishvili vs Henry Cejudo is a great fight. It might not end up being the most thrilling fight to watch, or I dont know maybe it will. But either way, Iā€™m very interested to see how this one plays out and how their styles match up. Itā€™s kind of a weird one in a way, timing-wise. At the time Iā€™m typing this, Merab is ranked #2 in the Bantamweight division but the only guy ahead of him is his buddy and teammate Aljamain Sterling whoā€™s moving up to Featherweight. Merab was the guy who shouldā€™ve got the next title shot, in my opinion. Definitely more deserving than Chito Vera but I kind of get why they went the route they did and Merab is coming off nearly a year on the shelf now. Cejudoā€™s currently ranked #3 despite only fighting once in the last 3 years. Yeah itā€™s a bit of an odd one. But purely as a clash of styles, Iā€™m really looking forward to it.

IMG_7541.thumb.jpeg.9dcaeec99a4e27486bb2a2034f97f897.jpeg

Merabā€™s the guy for me at 135 now though. Not the biggest fan of his style but I just get the feeling heā€™s the champion in waiting and itā€™s just a matter of time until he gets the belt. Iā€™ve predicted him to be champ by the end of the year in that ā€˜MMA Championsā€™ prediction thread weā€™ve got on here and I stand by that. Heā€™s beat Jose Aldo, he dominated Petr Yan, itā€™s just been lack of activity holding him back lately. And his teammate Aljo always being in the title mix. Thatā€™s no longer an obstacle now so if Merab can win this fight, I canā€™t really see how they can deny him a title shot later in the year. But as much as we all like to poke fun at Cejudo, heā€™s nobodyā€™s pushover. We saw evidence of that when he came back off 3 years on the shelf and took Sterling to a close split decision. I mean, heā€™s an Olympic gold medalist! You canā€™t overlook a guy with that kind of pedigree. And even in his MMA career heā€™s got wins over the likes of Demetrious Johnson, Dominick Cruz and TJ Dillashaw. Heā€™s high level. But again, lack of activity. And he turns 37 just before this fight. The sand timer is running empty. But he showed against Aljo heā€™s still got something left in the tank. And while I think Merabā€™s gonna be wearing the strap by yearā€™s end, I actually think this is potentially a tougher fight for him style-wise than either Oā€™Malley or Chito. Good stuff this.

Ā 

IMG_2091.jpeg.4e784b55da9d2b5091a05955f977d771.jpeg

Anthony Hernandez vs Roman Kopylov opens up the PPV. Was supposed to be Hernandez against Ikram Aliskerov but Aliskerov withdrew and here we are. A fine replacement in Kopylov. I like this just as much, if not more than the original matchup. Iā€™m not a great fan of the Middleweight division these days but there are some fun fights to be made and this is one of them. ā€˜Fluffyā€™ Hernandez is 30 years old and 11-2-0-1 with 9 finishes. Heā€™s currently on a nice 4 fight winning streak and has finished Marc-Andre Barriault and Edmen Shahbazyan in his last 2 fights. He also had that shock submission win over Rodolfo Vieira a couple of years ago, subbed the ā€˜Iron Turtleā€™ in 2019 and won a 5 round decision against Brendan Allen on a LFA card in 2018. Heā€™s squeezed some good stuff into his relatively short career so far.

IMG_1154.thumb.jpeg.e403eba5ef0e3fdd005c748a38d38058.jpeg

Kopylovā€™s the boy though. Iā€™ve done a complete 180 on him over the last few years. Maybe Iā€™m remembering wrong but I could swear he had a really boring fight or two when he first signed with the UFC. Heā€™s been great to watch more recently though. Heā€™s won his last 4 in a row now, stopped all 4 of them and heā€™s doing it in nasty fashion. Battered Punahele Soriano, flatlined Claudio Ribeiro with a brutal headkick and in his last fight he crushed Josh Fremd with a disgusting body kick and body punches. Heā€™s 12-2 now with 11 knockouts. Not sure he goes much further than this but whatever. Heā€™s a heavy hitter and I think him and ā€˜Fluffyā€™ should make for some fireworks.

Ā 

IMG_0874.jpeg.985b370a6840f5a67d8175d8b3b31321.jpeg

Amanda Lemos vs Mackenzie Dern is a decent fight. Lemos was supposed to fight Tatiana Suarez here but Suarez is injured. Again. Hopefully itā€™s not the start of another horror show of injuries for her. As replacements go, again, theyā€™ve done a good job here. Iā€™d rather have seen Suarez in there, making her case for a title shot, but fair play to Dern for stepping in. Sheā€™s coming off getting chinned by Jessica Andrade on the MSG card in November. Got dropped multiple times in that one and then stopped in the second round. Jumping back in here against Lemos, whoā€™s also a power puncher, is a very risky move. Dernā€™s had a really hot and cold run of results lately and she really canā€™t afford to be losing another one here. But she must fancy it and I can kind of see why. Lemos has shown vulnerability in the grappling in the past and, given Dernā€™s strengths there, I can definitely see a potential clear path to victory for her. But Lemos is a hard hitter and sheā€™s tough. She got totally dominated by Zhang Weili in their title fight in August, just a miserable 25 minutes for Lemos. But despite the dominance and lopsidedness of it, even Zhang wasnā€™t able to get her out of there. She wonā€™t go away easily and if Dern gets careless on the feet, Lemos certainly has the capability to make her pay. Not an amazing fight but not a bad one at all. Especially as a substitute.

Ā 

IMG_7503.jpeg.9ed5a8e1f007f458855f3c789a57fd1b.jpeg

Marcos Rogerio De Lima vs Junior Tafa is an eleventh hour switch. Was supposed to be De Lima against Justin Tafa but Justinā€™s dropped out literally on the eve of the show. Who steps in? Little brother Junior! Not to be a conspiracy theorist butā€¦did they plan this? šŸ˜‚Ā Probably not but it does have the feel of the old pro wrestling switcheroo. Anyway, nothing changes for me here. Canā€™t stand De Lima. I was hoping heā€™d get chinned by Justin, still hoping he gets chinned by Junior. I rate Junior more than Justin but the short notice could hinder him. Then again, Junior had a fight coming up in March anyway and no doubt wouldā€™ve been in camp with Justin prepping him for this one. And itā€™s Fattyweight. Not like heā€™s had to do a last minute weight cut.

Ā 

IMG_2094.jpeg.05e21ae02d1815448e5e875036d0141a.jpeg

Rinya Nakamura vs Carlos Vera will be worth checking out just for Nakamura. Heā€™s gotta be one of the better Japanese prospects the UFC have had on the books in years. Him and Tatsuro Taira have looked the business so far. Nakamura is 28 years old, unbeatenĀ at 8-0Ā with 6 finishes and got in through that Road To UFC thing. Smoked Toshiomi Kazama with a 33 second KO in his debut, then utterly schooled Fernie Garcia to a one way traffic decision in August. Early days, obviously, but very impressive so far. He showed knockout power in his debut and got to show off his stellar wrestling abilities in the Garcia fight. Looks a right handful. Great addition to an already fantastic Bantamweight division. Veraā€™s making his Octagon debut here. Heā€™s 36 years old and 11-3 with 6 finishes. Heā€™s fought in LFA and Fury FC and was on the last TUF as part of Team McGregor. Apparently he got eliminated in the opening round by Brad Katona. Canā€™t see this ending well for him.

Ā 

IMG_2713.jpeg.64f52eee57e008533c62809bd3cb0f6e.jpeg

Zhang Mingyang vs Brendson Ribeiro mightnā€™t stand out at first glance. Itā€™s both guys UFC debut and itā€™s probably not gonna get much attention on a card like this. But from the little bit of homework Iā€™ve done, I definitely think this might be worth tuning in early forā€¦

IMB_RoQCNd.gif.a0ad2b48cff0509d65d61db3befd2d1e.gif

Thatā€™s how Mingyangā€™s last fight ended. Fuck me. It was on the Road To UFC and I remember seeing the clip of the knockout all over social media at the time. Only thing is, that was June 2022. Thereā€™s been a lot of delays getting his debut sorted for whatever reason. Heā€™s 25 years old and heā€™s 16-6 with all 16 wins being first round finishes. He doesnā€™t mess around. Heā€™s coming into this fight on a 9 fight win streak. So yeah, heā€™s ended his last 9 fights in the first round. Ribeiro is 27 with a record of 15-5-0-1 and, again, all his wins came inside the distance. Heā€™s coming off a first round KO victory on DWCS in September. Yeah, this sounds like a ā€˜must seeā€™ prelim.

Ā 

IMG_7188.jpeg.968f691430b674b0ec0d813d332c2b56.jpeg

Danny Barlow vs Josh Quinlan doesnā€™t sound like a bad fight at all. Neither are exactly well known and Iā€™ve never seen Barlow fight but, for a Fight Pass prelim, this sounds decent. Barlowā€™s making his debut here and is coming in undefeatedĀ at 7-0, 5 finishes. Heā€™s ended his last few fights in a round, including a quick TKO win on DWCS in September. Quinlanā€™s 6-1-0-1 with all 6 wins being finishes. He had a really strong UFC debut in 2022, knocking Jason Witt out cold in 2 minutes. He lost a decision to Trey Waters in his last fight in April though.

Ā 

IMG_8953.jpeg.3b3682649c18f7ac22cb4b2a724965be.jpeg

Val Woodburn vs Oban Elliott is a bit of a blind spot for me. Iā€™ve only seen Woodburn once, it was his UFC debut back in July and it lasted a whopping 38 seconds. He came in on short notice and got fed to Bo Nickal. Didnā€™t end well. He got sparked quick. In fairness though, he was undefeated going in. Heā€™s 7-1 now with 5 knockouts. And this is Oban Elliottā€™s first Octagon appearance. Heā€™s Welsh and heā€™s 9-2 with 5 finishes. Heā€™s a name Iā€™ve definitely heard a fair bit and he fought in Cage Warriors his whole career before picking up a win on DWCS over the summer. I mightā€™ve seen him fight but I canā€™t even remember. My Cage Warriors viewing has been very sporadic over the years. Iā€™ll definitely give this a go though.

Ā 

IMG_2712.jpeg.20a091c7a398f78a91e27092550dbb77.jpeg

Andrea Lee vs Miranda Maverick is nothing special. Iā€™ve enjoyed a couple of Maverickā€™s fights, to be fair. And she seems quite likeable. The way she handled Priscila Cachoeira being a dirty little cheating shite in their fight in July was cool. In the fight and her comments after. Sheā€™s nothing amazing as a fighter but sheā€™s not typically boring either from what Iā€™ve seen. Leeā€™s pretty crap though. At this point sheā€™s 13-8 and coming off 3 straight losses. Sheā€™s 2-6 in her last 8. Maverick should really be winning this one. If youā€™re losing to Lee then itā€™s really not looking good for the future.

Ā 

Ā 

Going back to Cali ā˜€ļø Finally a card worth getting excited about!Ā 

IMB_EFNh9Z.gif

Edited by wandshogun09

Mate this is a fucking ppv.Ā 

I didn't think last weekend was terrible but it just didn't have enough on it to make it properly feel like a UFC pay per view but fuck me this is exactly what you want and is very very strong.

I genuinely can't explain how much I want volk to get a decent victory here after the Islam fight previously and seeing him so visibly torn up and struggling with his mental health afterwards really did punch me in the heart. I am desperate for him to get a strong win and bring his confidence and self back where it should be.

• Paid Members

Kopylov being added against Hernandez is a lovely touch. Echo what you've said wand. man is a beast, definitely one of my favorite unsung stars of recent undercards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
3 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Ā 

šŸ˜… That was cracking. Well done that man. Hope he is back to form here against Topuria. I'm not ready for his time at the top to be over yet.Ā 

6 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Volkā€™s story about his daughter šŸ¤£

Ā 

Thatā€™s amazing! Volk really seems like such a top bloke.Ā 
Ā 

The polls are pretty one sided for this one, Iā€™ve gone Volk, Bobby Knuckles, and I canā€™t remember who I picked out of Merab or Cejudo but not confident in any of the results!Ā 

• Paid Members

Mad how 1 bad performance completely changes perceptions. Id have had Volk a good favorite in this if not for that second Islam fight, but im sitting at 50/50 here, I just cant really pick a winner.

Lots have been made of Volks issues pre-Makhachev II and given his team id like to think he has everything in order for this, but you just never know. Then you have Topuria talking like this isnt even going to be close and I find myself starting to believe him. Who knows!?

Topuria's confidence borders on delusion but I dont know if hes just playing the game or not. Im getting badguy movie vibes from the fella.

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

And I'm about to scud it, but. . . Paulo Costa hasn't pulled out yet? Still time. Hope Whittaker's fall back opponent is in the sauna.Ā 

Costaā€™s replacement is usually Gastelum or Usman so hopefully theyā€™ve both kept their diaries clear just incase.Ā 

What were the other Costa pullouts and fights falling apart other than the Whittaker ones ?

Ā 

I'm not defending him because I'm pretty certain he has and it is a lot, its just my MMA memory is mush nowadays. Its a bit of a shame as he seemed an exciting fighter at one point.

Edited by Cousin Jim Bob

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

What were the other Costa pullouts and fights falling apart other than the Whittaker ones ?

This is his entire UFC career;

IMG_7086.thumb.jpeg.ec6f3a1a31445584e9894dd3bdcb7b8b.jpeg

OK, not all of them were his fault, like the Aliskerov fight was scrapped because they shuffled the card and switched to Costa vs Chimaev. But just look at that. Especially from 2020 onwards. Some he pulled out of citing injury, some illness, some just ā€˜unknown reasonsā€™ and he used the ā€˜the fight was never signedā€™ line a couple of times. Which, Iā€™m not gonna fully doubt him on because we know the UFC have jumped the gun announcing fights before theyā€™re actually finalised in the past. But when Costa does it, I donā€™t know, he plays silly beggars so much I find it hard to take any of his excuses/reasons seriously. And of course there was the time he rocked up on fight week for a Middleweight fight with Vettori and he was about 25lbs overweight and it had to be changed to a Light Heavyweight fight. Heā€™s a clown. Exciting fighter yeahā€¦when he shows up. But you just canā€™t rely on him.Ā