UFC 298: Volkanovski vs Topuria - Feb 17 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins?   

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I like it. People on social media are getting way too wound up by Topuria’s cockiness but, while I do think he 100% believes he’s gonna win, you can tell by how he’s talking to Volk there that it’s all in good fun and he does respect him. Hilarious how MMA fans cry about fighters not promoting themselves then when one does they cry about that. I’m still favouring Volk and I’m still rooting for Volk. But I like Topuria and, let’s face it, the Featherweight division badly needed a fresh face to step up and make some noise after Volk’s rinsed all the top contenders, Topuria’s filled that role nicely. I honestly think some fans have forgot what normal fight hype is like after the last couple of PPVs and all the Covington/Strickland shite.

9 hours ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Yeah sorry I was not trying to defend him. I've just lost touch a lot the last few years and know from your write ups I knew he is a problem but was interested how bad it was.

Nah I got what you meant. I think that’s where the frustration comes with Costa though, he is an entertaining fighter and character and it feels like there could have been so many fun fights and moments involving him over the last few years if he gave a shit. I don’t think he does really though. Seems like it’s all a big game to him most of the time. Although now the UFC are done with USADA, maybe Costa will show up to work more. Secret Juice! 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Based off his interviews and bits he's said in the past, it feels to me that Costa signed a really terrible fight contract a while back and a lot of the fallouts have been based on him trying to get something on top of what he's agreed initially. The stuff with Marvin Vettori, the failed Aliskerov and Cannonier fights and his general lack of care about it all said a lot. When he got the Chimaev fight it kinda felt liked he's sorted his issues with the UFC and it was all in, but in typical Costa fashion, it went tits up again, but for once it seemed like it wasn't his fault. 

I'm a fan. The Mtfk looks like a blown up Clark Kent and he's usually good value in the cage. 

Bring on the juice! 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

I like it. People on social media are getting way too wound up by Topuria’s cockiness but, while I do think he 100% believes he’s gonna win, you can tell by how he’s talking to Volk there that it’s all in good fun and he does respect him. Hilarious how MMA fans cry about fighters not promoting themselves then when one does they cry about that. I’m still favouring Volk and I’m still rooting for Volk. But I like Topuria and, let’s face it, the Featherweight division badly needed a fresh face to step up and make some noise after Volk’s rinsed all the top contenders, Topuria’s filled that role nicely. 

He's definitely playing the game. You have to remember too he has a full blown documentary crew following him around, he's clearly got stuff in mind when he's saying/acting a certain way.

I think ive completely underestimated Topuria's overall popularity too considering he's abit of a star in Spain. Massive social media numbers and talk of a fight at Real Madrids stadium, guys snuck up a potential superstar. It aint gonna do the division no harm if he wins.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I was watching something Luke Thomas put out recently about Topuria and he was saying a lot of Topuria’s talk doesn’t always hit quite as well in English but he comes across much more naturally charismatic when he’s talking Spanish. He’s got that thing as well where he was born in Germany, Spanish by nationality and of Georgian descent. He could potentially gain big followings in all of those countries. 

Honestly, as much as I’m a bigger fan of Volk and I really don’t wanna see him lose 2 fights on the trot, Topuria winning on Saturday would definitely be the more interesting outcome for the division going forward. A Volk win gets him back on the right track but who the fuck does he defend against after? It’s pretty much all rematches apart from maybe Evloev. If Topuria wins you’ve obviously got the Volk rematch there and potential fights with Holloway, Yair, Ortega etc. Topuria and Yair have already been having digs back and forth. Imagine something like Topuria vs Holloway or Yair in Spain?

The more I think about this one, if Volk wins and it’s as clear cut as his other defences at 145, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he moves up to 155 for good and commits fully to going for gold there. It’d be tough while Islam’s the champ but they can always use the short notice last time to justify a third crack.

Basically, whatever happens on Saturday night it’s gonna be interesting to see what both guys next move will be. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Honestly, as much as I’m a bigger fan of Volk and I really don’t wanna see him lose 2 fights on the trot, Topuria winning on Saturday would definitely be the more interesting outcome for the division going forward. A Volk win gets him back on the right track but who the fuck does he defend against after? It’s pretty much all rematches apart from maybe Evloev.

I'd rather Topuria win for the reasons you stated (and, like you, I like Volk, so am torn like that other famous Australian), but I think a Volk/Tsarukyan match would be worth a watch.

• Paid Members

That would be interesting but Tsarukyan’s at 155 anyway so that would only happen if one of them moved division.

I saw something earlier that Volk was saying if he comes through this Topuria fight unscathed he’d be up for headlining UFC 300. In one way it’s admirable but I don’t really like the sound of that. A quick turnaround mightn’t be the best idea. Plus who would he even fight at 300 anyway that would warrant the headline position? I just can’t see it. Plus even if he wins on Saturday, and I’m leaning towards that, he’s probably not coming out completely unscathed anyway. 

I can see why Volk would wanna get on 300 and why he’d wanna stay active but it’s a bit worrying when you see how broken up he was emotionally after the Makhachev loss in October, then all the stuff about him drinking and needing to almost constantly be in camp for a fight to keep his head on right. That obsession and work ethic is probably a massive part of why he’s been so successful but it could be a double edged sword now he’s in his mid 30s and probably doesn’t have a ton of fights left. Obviously he’s nowhere near shot now, I think a lot of the doubts on him coming off that last loss are a bit overplayed actually, but the way he’s been talking I’d hate to see him become one of those guys who can’t come to terms with retiring when the time does come. 

• Paid Members

Ah, yeh! I'd got mixed up - I remember thinking I wanted to see Tsarukyan/Topuria, but that was because Topuria has fought at Lightweight more recently.

• Paid Members

Yeah I wouldn’t rule out either fight happening but I’d say Topuria vs Tsarukyan is probably more likely. Topuria only just turned 27, you’d have to assume a permanent move to Lightweight is inevitable as he gets closer to 30 and the weight cut starts getting harder. And Tsarukyan’s also not long turned 27. They’ve both got a lot of career left to play out. Whereas I think a Volk move to 155 would see him more likely to chase fights with bigger names like Charles Oliveira, Dustin Poirier, the Makhachev rematch etc. 

The press conference has got me so hyped for this card. Volk coming out dressed like an old man and falling asleep was amazing. I like Topuria and it would freshen the division up if he won but I just can’t route against Volk. 

I genuinely think in a world and sport filled with questionable humans and characters having a top elite fighter like volk is a fucking breath of fresh air but him being champion and never changing his attitude or letting fame/money/top status factor in and make him become another Conor McGregor or Jon Jones etc you can't physically not love him and I am chomping at the bit for him to come back after the loss to islam with a big highlight reel finish.

Going with Robert Whittaker, Geoff Neal, merarb, and wanting a tafa win on the prelims too.

Big ones these next two with UFC 299 being even bigger and more insane. Apparently also Dana white is announcing the UFC 300 main event at the post fight presser which if that happens and not being announced on the main card with a tasty video package I will be stunned 

• Paid Members

Some of Spain’s biggest sports stars out in force showing support for Topuria. I can’t understand any of it but…

For those not on Twitter…

IMG_7269.thumb.jpeg.81955548334e3c343adfbf544f6564b3.jpeg

Pretty fucking cool to see. Don’t know if I can recall anything quite like this with another fighter.

Edited by wandshogun09

This fight really has a big time feel about it. The build ups been really good and it’s great to see so many getting behind Topuria. 

I’m growing more confident of a Volk victory by tko in 3 or 4. I don’t think he’s done yet and I could see it going the same way as the Yair fight.