I feel there's a fine line where those family YT/FB channels and pages become exploitative child labour, people like Barry Lewis and John Riggs seem to have always made sure their kids are comfortable with it and once they're not there's no pressure to be a part of the videos but some are purely there to make money off the kids.

• Paid Members

I feel very little sympathy for people who make a career of posting every little thing they do, place they go or opinion they think online then being shocked when internet weirdos get too involved. The internet is a cesspool and in this day and age people should know better about the dangers of it no matter how much you want people to hear your reviews of toilet roll.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I assume in some cases the impetus for it might come from the kids wanting to be YouTubers themselves? And so by doing it as a family, there's at least a sense that the parents are in control and monitoring what their kids are getting up to online. If you're starting from there, you're presumably less likely to end up an exploitative grifter than if you start from a place of wanting to make money and ignoring the kids' autonomy.

Edited by BomberPat

2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Well done all. Had never heard of them until today.

Ffs.

Me neither. 

After a quick glance they sound like they belong in the same box as Ladbaby and The Famleigh. A box that should be buried and forgotten about forever. Encapsulates everything I dislike about social media these days. 

Anyway, looking forward to their Christmas single. 

Not sure if this is the right place for it but if anyone follows Dr. Disrespect on YouTube, it looks like the reasons and allegations for removal from Twitch have come to the surface. Apparently the reason for his lifetime ban from Twitch was due to sexting a minor on the Twitch messaging service. Of course he denies any wrong doing, and apparently this has been settled by himself and Twitch, but it has also led to his removal from the game studio he co-founded. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Ever stop to wonder why? I mean knot everyone who gets even slightly social famous get that reaction. So either massively unlucky or they are horrible people. 

I was only ever aware of these from the Aldi video that went viral (and probably not in the way they'd hoped), and a recent story on FB where they were complaining about being demonetised for using copyrighted music, so I did a quick Google. 

That's a lot of dirt. No idea how much of it's true, but based on that Aldi video, it's perfectly feasible.

On 6/25/2024 at 11:09 AM, BomberPat said:

I assume in some cases the impetus for it might come from the kids wanting to be YouTubers themselves? And so by doing it as a family, there's at least a sense that the parents are in control and monitoring what their kids are getting up to online. If you're starting from there, you're presumably less likely to end up an exploitative grifter than if you start from a place of wanting to make money and ignoring the kids' autonomy.

See my kids would love it if we were a YouTube family. They watch tons of these bastards and you can see that a lot of them make creative play and adventures for the kids the main focus and it’s hard to imagine that the kids aren’t fully on board with it. Then there’s the parents who like to put themselves front and centre and they tend to turn every little thing in their lives in to content. Some of those kids look dead behind the eyes. I can definitely imagine Ryan Kaji growing up and suing his parents.

• 1 month later...