AEW Dynamite Thread 2024

DavidB6937

8 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

I've ordered the PPV mostly because I'm interested to see where the Mox storyline is going. 

I’m tempted for the same reason - problem is, the rest of the card consists mostly of matches I would fast forward past if they were scheduled for Dynamite. But I could see big things happening in that main event.

Edited by RedTwoster

• Paid Members

I ordered it last month, purely based on the calibre of AEW PPVs, they're generally good/excellent. However this has to be the worst lineup/build that I can remember. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Infinity Land said:

Time will tell if it has any real impact on creative, but Jimmy Jacobs has left.

It’ll be interesting to see how things change. There did seem to be a direct correlation between Jacobs joining the company and them doing more WWE-style stories and skits, both good and bad.

Last time Tony put his foot down like this, in January/February 2020, we had some of the best pro-wrestling TV of all time. We could be heading towards a tasty couple of months if he’s in a similar mood and still has it in him.

• Paid Members

If whoever booked the Continental Classic last year could be the main booker that would be my preference. Felt like a genuine refreshing and new direction for the company to lean into.

Apparently Jacobs is the one who came up with The Learning Tree so him leaving might be for the best.

• Paid Members

Dynamite 09/10/24

Double J was not the best on commentary. Took way too long to get to his points, got hyper-fixated on some points and kept repeating himself, then at other times seemed to lose his thread mid-thought. It's OK though I still love him. 

Once again loved the opening Mox promo. These have all been excellent. Danielson's promo was fine, I appreciated them opening the show with these two hyping up the main event immediately. Something AEW don't do often enough with their TV.

Echo the criticisms of the Darby/Brody promo segment, didn't work for me at all. Darby's had this problem before with his promos, where he has a perfectly good storyline reason to fight someone but decides to go all insider/real life with it. He did it after the Bucks attacked him and Sting too. They were still wearing the bloody suits on TV and he did this weird promo with references to Cody Rhodes hiring him when The Bucks weren't interested. It also meant it was a jarring tonal shift when he started shouting about Brody wanting his spot and to put him out of his misery. I loved the promo where he shouted at Moxley because he was supposed to have been sat at home seething as Moxley ran roughshod over AEW and kept calling him out, but here he was going on about them both paying for their parents' retirements and then suddenly went up to 11 out of nowhere and it felt too forced. The match will be great but yeah, a sloppy go home segment for a sloppily put together match. I have to wonder if someone else was originally planned for Darby at this PPV. 

Hologram and Komander was a very entertaining spotfest. They didn't nail everything perfectly but they went for some incredibly ambitious stuff, and some of what they DID hit was truly spectacular. LFI vs Hologram and pals in a bunch of six man tags sounds excellent to me. 

Tragic that Mark Briscoe effortlessly switching into serious mode for a short but excellent promo is being wasted on Chris Jericho. 

Decent promo from Garcia and I'm obviously very happy he's staying. 

Swerve/MVP recap video was really good stuff.

Mone promo was OK, which is above average for her. I'd like to know what Kamille gets out of this arrangement. 

Women's four way was a messy one. Bit of a disjointed start and the crowd was cold for it, but did pick up in the second half. Enjoyed the brief Willow/Hayter exchange a lot and look forward to those two fighting over the title at some stage. Always have time for the Saraya/Harley double act and Nyla made the most of a rare Dynamite appearance. The whole "four ways are anything goes" thing is so silly. They only turn into interference-filled plunder matches if the wrestlers break a gentleman's agreement to NOT do that I suppose. Didn't love Hayter being in a number one contender's match and losing so soon on this return run, it seems they're giving her some keep-busy feuds before she's in the title hunt. Lovely to see Penelope Ford back after the horrible time she's had. Also enjoyed Mariah on commentary. 

Have to say The Learning Tree's pitch/lesson for Rocky Romero had a lot of good points. 

Good fiery promo from Jay White, very happy he's back. Crowd wasn't really with it, though they weren't really with much up to this point aside from the table in the women's match. The bit with Juice's gum falling out of his mouth only for him to immediately do a press up so he could pick it up with his mouth, I don't know if that was spontaneous or intentional but it was an extremely Juice Robinson thing to do and I did laugh.

Hook once again looking very stupid calling out "whoever" attacked Taz. I did appreciate him proving he ain't no snitch by denying he'd seen Kip Sabian though. 

Willow getting her revengte and the short and sweet promo she cut were both strong. Willow's promo got one of the better reactions from this very quiet crowd. I like that she has added this "does not take any shit" element to her character without sacrificing any of her positivity. 

More fuel for the "why isn't Statlander absolutely livid?" fire as Emi Sakura strolls back into AEW and gets a double title shot for no reason. I love Emi Sakura but seriously, how the hell to title shots work in this promotion Tony. That said, as coldly thrown together as this was, and despite her having zero chance of winning, Emi is such a pro that she still had the crowd behind her by the end of it. Kamille had to wait for a comically long time for Stat to make the save post-match. Still up for Kamille vs Statlander despite the crappy booking. 

The whole Stat thing was made even more funny/exasperating by Stokeley mentioning HIS win over Willow in the pitch to Private Party. Liked them turning him down and their reasoning. 

Ospreay segment was the best thing on the show by far and deservedly had the most heat to go with it. Great intensity from Ospreay, Takeshita looking like a beast, more fracturing of the Fletcher/Callis relationship and Ricochet getting to make he big superhero save. Excellent. 

"Can Action Andretti and Top Flight get back on the same page?" Has to be one of the lowest stakes stories of all time. 

Liked Jack Perry's promo a lot. Wanting to speak to Shibata in the language of violence and "it's not about what you deserve but what you're willing to take" were both great lines. 

Yuta's Danielson tribute gear was a lovely touch. 

Good main event, particularly enjoyed the in-ring storytelling in the Yuta/Claudio interactions. Claudio breaking up the Cattle Mutilation like he was calming down a toddler having a tantrum was brilliant. Also made it all the more evil when that bastard hit the poor boy with a hammer after the match. 

A bit of a slapdash and inconsistent go home show for a PPV with a slapdash and inconsistent build/card. AEW PPVs are rarely bad but yeah, after the brilliance of All In and All Out back to back there has definitely been a dip. Much like Collision, this episode took a couple of sittings to finish, which isn't usually the case for me when everything's firing on all cylinders. 

• Paid Members

IMG_9821.thumb.jpeg.98e5162fcfcee7f938f885b98dc6760a.jpeg

“NOBODY IS SAFE,” is brilliant. Like even as a viewer you need to be careful in case he climbs out the screen and suffocates you with a plastic bag. Tippy top heel stuff.

Assuming Orange Cassidy and Darby Allin are long-term destinations for Mox and he needs a more immediate top babyface to fight, I’d quite like Samoa Joe to return and step up. Just pretend the Chris Jericho stuff didn’t happen. Or have a quick segment where Jerry Lynn frees Joe from The Vortex the same way he did Cassidy at the pay per view. Just have Jerry walking around backstage, giving everyone a sock, like Dobby the House Elf. Cassidy, Starks, Big Bill, Joe. You are all free of The Learning Tree.

But yeah, Samoa Joe vs. Moxley would be great. Have they ever wrestled? Remember that brilliant story on Renee’s podcast about them being real life mates, bonding over a love of medieval weapons that Joe sends them in the post? I love that so much. Perfect time to bring your passion into the storyline. The ultimate game of Rock, Paper, Scissors. What beats a Plastic Bag? Medieval Battle Axe, of course!

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

That would be excellent.  Joe wrestled this half asleep skinny guy called Dean on a throwaway RAW TV match in 2017. He looks a bit like Moxley wearing a very suspect wig, but no, I can't find any record of Joe vs Moxley. 

I hope WWE takes a chance on him, if Tony’s really done with the guy. He’s brilliant fun, and now that McMahon is gone, I’m more confident he’d be used in a way that wouldn’t make me cringe. AEW seems to be going for a darker tone right now, which is fine with me since, on the whole, they’re doing it well.

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, King Mal the Glorious said:

I don't think he's been on TV at all this year and isn't injured, so I can't imagine he'll be back at all.

Yeah he’s been working indie dates all over the world, doing the convention circuit, very very active everywhere except AEW. They’ve also added an AEW branded Danhausen mystery box to the shop for Halloween. Remains one of the most popular acts and a significant merch seller but no, I don’t hold out much hope we’ll see him again either.