Private parking fines/PCNs

air_raid

• Paid Members

This is a bit of a rabbit hole to go down but I parked on an SIP car park for a few hours on Sunday and far too late realized I’d made a typo on the reg number. Have an E-receipt and a photo of my physical ticket, and while it’s far too soon to know if a PCN is coming in the post, I’m bricking it that I’ll now have to pay an idiot tax.

Anyone have a story about successfully appealing a PCN in typo circumstances to set my mind at ease, or other advice?

• Paid Members

Same thing happened to me a few years back. I took the Mrs car instead of mine and entered the wrong reg into the machine. 

After I realised my mistake I took a picture of the ticket i bought with the wrong reg. When I got the fine I sent them an email showing I'd paid on the day but typed in the wrong reg number.

The chisling bastards still ended up fining me a tenner though. This was all around the time my Mother passed so I couldn't be arsed to fight it further. Persistence seems the key with these pricks. 

Edited by Silky Kisser

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, air_raid said:

This is a bit of a rabbit hole to go down but I parked on an SIP car park for a few hours on Sunday and far too late realized I’d made a typo on the reg number. Have an E-receipt and a photo of my physical ticket, and while it’s far too soon to know if a PCN is coming in the post, I’m bricking it that I’ll now have to pay an idiot tax.

Anyone have a story about successfully appealing a PCN in typo circumstances to set my mind at ease, or other advice?

Absolutely, had one last month. On the way to the airport we crossed the QEII bridge, so had to pay the Dart charge. My wife arranged it, but it transpired she made a typo with our car reg.

We returned from holiday to find a fine, which was now at full whack because we failed to respond within 14 days (on account of being in holiday) to contest it or pay the lower amount. My wife provided evidence of her payment, which is surely proof that she paid for the dart charge, despite making a typo. She paid the toll after all and a mistake should not be penalised.

The chap on the phone stood his ground and insisted that she had to pay the fine, so I took the phone and spoke to him. Told him she has paid the toll, had evidence of doing so and even they could see the payment made with the wrong reg (and also confirmed a car with the erroneous reg did not pass through the toll). Made it very clear that if they pursued this legally, as we have a strong claim of defence, no court would uphold their fine. Went all Karen and asked for the manager, eventually they backed down.

Make sure you have your evidence to hand (seems like you do) and they won't have a leg to stand on. Be firm, and if they are persistent keep standing firm until the cunts fuck off. 

When I worked for citizens advice we did over turn typos and many other circumstances, I would say if it comes through have a chat with your local citizens advice or Google the advice line number and do it from there, you will be surprised what you can get overturned.

Hopefully all works out for you mate

• Paid Members

Just to update, I called their number this morning and there were actual human beings available and she managed to check the (errant) reg number and verified my payment, so a PCN shouldn’t come through. Which is a far cry from last time when I was trying to reach humans over CCTV footage (someone in a nearby location left my door dented), and everything was automated so if you wanted to do anything other than pay for parking, pay your PCN or request info about the digital appeal process or about becoming a franchisee, you were up shit creek.

We live in a world where more people are struggling to pay for electricity and food. Parking charges like this should be treated with the disdain they deserve. If they threaten legal action tell them to batter in. Won't be long before the staff who keep the courts running are on strike, and they end up with a backlog of actual crimes to deal with.

All bets are off now. It's a new world post-Covid.

34 minutes ago, David said:

We live in a world where more people are struggling to pay for electricity and food. Parking charges like this should be treated with the disdain they deserve. If they threaten legal action tell them to batter in. Won't be long before the staff who keep the courts running are on strike, and they end up with a backlog of actual crimes to deal with.

All bets are off now. It's a new world post-Covid.

I love this, sounds like a slightly anarchic administrative Mad Max world.

Mad Vax if you like. 

18 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I love this, sounds like a slightly anarchic administrative Mad Max world.

Mad Vax if you like. 

It's a hell of a soundbite really. Company phones you about your unpaid bill for parking, Sky telly, etc. You just cut them off mid-spiel and say "mate, it's a post-covid world now. You have no authority anymore. See you in court, if there's even people still working there by the time this case hits their desk."

• Paid Members

Not a typo based one, but I did challenge a ticket I got for parking on what was privately owned land (but open to the public) and got it dropped. 

I took advice from the Pepipoo forum, although their own defence pretty much did the job for me, as they just waffled on for three pages, going off on tangents and ranting about the cost of parking at home, the cost of food at Hooters, and how they have to pay National Insurance for their staff.

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, David said:

It's a hell of a soundbite really. Company phones you about your unpaid bill for parking, Sky telly, etc. You just cut them off mid-spiel and say "mate, it's a post-covid world now. You have no authority anymore. See you in court, if there's even people still working there by the time this case hits their desk."

That Handsforth Parish Council lot really set the standard