Tyson Fury vs. Dillian Whyte (April 23rd) 🇬🇧

Egg Shen

How is it won?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Its been a weird one. Lots of frustration, anger and uncertainty at the lack nothing happening, then when finally this week I think everyone expected fireworks, but its all been super nice, John Fury tried to make it something it wasn't but I think they've told him to wise up  It's lacked a certain needle and intensity, but theres's nothing wrong with that, I do think the fight delivers though.

I have a theory, that promotions live and die based on earned media.

Besides Dillian not turning up for the initial press conference - but they still did one - the promoters (QP, Top Rank, BT) have done as much as you’d usually do for a big show.

Launch press conference, digital content, a full fight week of activity. With the big stars, there’s very little else you can do. When I was there, I’d do mad stuff with people like Zach Parker, Joyce, Dubois and even Warrington (respectively; had him crush a car with a tank, faced him off with Gunnersaurus Rex, had him surprise a load of kids at Dale Youth Club and did a full media day at a military barracks ending with their marching band agreeing to do his ring walk) - but, the level above that (Fury, Joshua, Canelo), they don’t want to do that extra layer of gimmicky stuff to try and grab headlines/attention on social.

So, the best you can hope for, is that the fight is so anticipated people talk about it in advance on social media AND whatever you do catches fire and is shared far and wide.

That just doesn’t seem to have happened. Things have happened this week and no one in the mainstream cares enough to share it. I haven’t seen much of this fight on channels like Lad/SportBible, BBC, ITV news, Joe - the sort of places that can elevate a promotion.

And, ultimately, I think this comes back to BT - I don’t think their content distribution network is strong enough. Sky Sports has Sky Sports News, it has an entire network of non-sports channels it can promote around - it can build buzz even if the fans don’t love the fight. DAZN have paid places like Joe, SportBible, BBC to cover their stuff.

It’s felt like Queensberry and BT’s owned and operated channels have had to carry the brunt of this promotion and they aren’t necessarily big enough, meaning they haven’t created enough noise which ultimately makes the promotion avoidable.

I think had QP been promoting this fight on Sky, it’d have felt like the biggest deal in the world.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

I hadn't seen a lot until this today, it was all over mainstream news this morning.

Saturday is usually guaranteed to you, in some form or another. The trick is how far back in the week you can pull attention.

Joshua on Sky is the promotional sweet spot, and they’re usually pulling focus by Monday or Tuesday of fight week.

• Paid Members

An utter peach of an uppercut to close the show, but until that point it was a bit of a dud as a fight. Whyte was poor from the opening bell, he didn't seem to have anything in the tank.

20220423_225313.thumb.jpg.dc63c8fd9697d8d4d0057c0fb7e3c9e4.jpg

It was shutout before the finish but there wasn't a great deal going on, Tyson just controlling the contest without having to do a lot, I think Whyte had basically been lulled to sleep before that uppercut, it came out of nowhere.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yeah wasn’t a great fight and in a way it might’ve been better if Fury had just gone out on that last KO against Wilder but this finish will be what people mostly remember anyway. A knockout like that goes a long way towards making you forget what came before it.,And I’m sceptical this was it for Tyson anyway, no matter what he says now. 

• Paid Members

It may be it for boxing. He got Francis Ngannou in the ring after the fight and spoke about a hybrid rules fight, he talked about doing things with the WWE again too. You just never know with Tyson though.

You're right about last night though, people will only remember the finish, but they were a round or two away from the boo birds coming out. If that had carried on and gone twelve I think the reaction would have been pretty bad, especially as the rest of the night was pretty disappointing save for that Isaac Lowe/Nick Ball fight, Nick Ball is a little beast.

I think if he can make his money doing WWE and exhibitions with people that can’t hurt him, he’d happily do that.

There’ll always be a debate in some circles about Joshua, say, or Usyk. But, Usyk has limited commercial appeal and no one in boxing truly believes Joshua beats Tyson.

I can believe that in proper, competitive boxing he thinks he’s done it all.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I’m sure right now he genuinely believes he’s done. But there’ll always be something, that one last fight out there. Maybe I’m just being cynical because we’re conditioned to never believe in retirements in combat sports but I just don’t feel like this will end up being it for him. Maybe I’m wrong though. He might just go the Mayweather route now and just pop back for the odd crossover/hybrid rules/exhibition/freakshow thing for big dough. Dip into the WWE stuff and so on. There’ll always be offers given his status as a boxer and his personality. 

• Paid Members

Tyson has said similar things before and I never really believe much that he says, but we live in a world where cross over fights and these weird exhibitions exist so we could see that.

The perfect send off boxing wise would be to unify against Usyk or Joshua (likely Usyk) and then ride off into the sunset, that's the true all-timer legacy defining way to go out. A fight with Usyk would be truly fascination too, the fan in me wants to see that happen.