Fight Announcement Thread

Egg Shen

Shlemenko in 2013/2014 was one of my favourate MMA fighters. That run of Bellator fights was cracking. The peak was the KO of Manhoef, after which he gets popped for steroids and proceeds to be nothing of note, mostly fighting in Russia.

• Paid Members

Jacare vs Shlemenko would’ve been awesome in about 2010ish. Now I don’t know what to expect. I’ll have to watch it though. What was that 5 round war he had in Bellator? I remember loving one of his fights in particular. Looking at his record I think it was the Brett Cooper fight in 2013 but I’m hazy. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, Shlemenenko was a standout of the Bjorn Rebney-era of Bellator. There was a time when he arguably the most under appreciated exciting fighter in the sport. A proper Russian pioneer too. The drug-cheating is a blot on the resume, but he's Russian so it's probably par for the course.

Just browsing his record and saw his old Bellator fight with Jared Hess stick out at me, remember that mental shit?

R.jpg.dcf68c73839a0e26aa7ec4bc42fffadb.jpg

the good old days of Bellator.

Edited by Egg Shen

To be honest, cant really picture that Cooper fight off the top of my head. The first thing that sticks out for me is when he finished Doug Marshall with a body shot. Superb KO.

Speaking of exciting fighters from around then, Doug Marshall is right up there too. What a strange career he had too, by the looks of wiki. From Nov 2012 to Nov 2013 he fought 5 times. He fought once more in Nov 2014 and was completley done thereafter, and vanished without trace.

• Paid Members

Brett Cooper is another great Bellator OG. Was cool to see him resurface in the PFL this season, but he got smushed.

We've talked about Doug Marshall on here before, absolute maniac. That small roster of WEC Middlweight/Light Heavyweights was briliant.

• Paid Members

Beating Dan Hooker was enough for Michael Chandler to get a title shot and everyone seemed cool with that. Granted Hooker was ranked a bit higher when Chandler beat him but he was still only one fight in. Plus if not Makhachev, who should Oliveira be fighting next?

07-D9-C8-FA-1997-415-F-A0-AC-F5495-F4-DF

That’s the Top 15 as of today. Yeah, Makhachev’s not got some mega strong resume but he’s the fight to make there for me. Unless people really wanna just see an endless merry go round of the same few names fighting for the belt, in which case, rematches with Poirier, Gaethje and Chandler it is. Last I heard McGregor isn’t gonna be fighting until early 2023 so that’s out. Not that he deserved it anyway. Makhachev’s the highest ranked fresh opponent and the matchup with him and Oliveira style-wise is fantastic. I’ve seen so much moaning about this fight being made and I don’t get it. The title is vacant, Oliveira’s got to fight someone and who’s Makhachev cock-blocking right now that’s way more deserving? It’s not like he’s been ducking tough fights either. The Hooker fight was supposed to be against Dos Anjos but RDA dropped out. Then Dariush pulled out of their scheduled fight and Makhachev ended up squashing Bobby Green. And as big a fan of Oliveira as I am, it’s hardly like he had a stellar resume himself before he beat Tony Ferguson. And he got a title shot off that. No-one had an issue with that. Chandler and Gaethje both got a shot off one win. People can say ‘well at least the one win was over a ranked opponent’ but this is a rankings system that still had Conor McGregor in the Top 10 until very recently despite him being 1-3 in the division. Of who’s available right now, Oliveira vs Makhachev is the one. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, David said:

spacer.png

Of course, this means that Islam will have to find his own Arab city to base himself in.

Islam Meccachev seems particularly appropriate given his first name

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, David said:

Does he really deserve what will amount to home field advantage though? Let's not kid ourselves, Abu Dhabi is Kahbib's home from home. 

Maybe not and it’s not ideal for Oliveira but he can’t be that bothered because he’s signed on for it and I didn’t hear him moaning about the location. Khabib was even quoted recently saying Makhachev would be happy to do the fight in Brazil as long as he got the fight but it just turned out Abu Dhabi was on the calendar and lined up timing-wise. I don’t even know when they’re planning to go back to Brazil.

• Paid Members

Non-title main event.

This is the card rumoured to have the Sterling vs Dillashaw title fight as well. So a bit weird Khamzat vs Nate taking top billing over a title fight but I’m guessing they had to appease Nate just to finally get him in the cage one last time. Khamzat’s gonna ragdoll him. It’s basically the main event version of when they fed Roger Huerta to Gray Maynard on his way out the door.