Bellator 263 - Pitbull vs. McKee (July 31st)

Egg Shen

Whos Wins  

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Managed to watch it elsewhere in the end, I'll check the whole show on I-Player later.

From my perspective it was a little disappointing as a contest. Over very quickly and looked a premature stoppage. I didn't see a tap and Pitbull looked conscious when the ref called it off.  

With the hype on both guys I was expecting or hoping for a 5 round war but I guess if you've followed Bellator and these fighters closely over the years, you may have enjoyed the payoff here more than me.

What are the chances of McKee switching to UFC? You would like to see someone with his record mixing it with the likes of Max Holloway or Volkanovski.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Guy Bifkin said:

From my perspective it was a little disappointing as a contest. Over very quickly and looked a premature stoppage. I didn't see a tap and Pitbull looked conscious when the ref called it off.  

nah, the stoppage was fine, if Pitbull didnt momentarily pass out, he was about too, he was never getting out of that.

AJ McKee looks pretty special. 18-0, and finished everyone on his way to the Featherweight Grand Prix and World Titles. Based off that reaction in California too it appears they have a proper star on their hands, great to see.

• Paid Members

Spectacular win for AJ McKee in the main event. Definitely hear what Guy’s saying, after all the anticipation of a barnburner it did feel kind of anti-climatic. Could just as easily have been a 5 round war and I wouldn’t rule out a rematch playing out like that. You just can’t count on anything in combat sports. McKee got off to a flying start and just never let Pitbull in it. The headkick rung Pitbull’s bell and McKee never let him recover.

253D8B32-2A40-4B87-97BB-1B10FCB787EA.gif

I’ve seen conflicting responses to the stoppage. I thought it was fine myself although I can see why some thought it was slightly early because it didn’t look like he went out either. For what it’s worth, Pitbull was angry in the cage but he was much calmer at the press conference and says this;

Gave McKee his credit and seemed more accepting of the stoppage. Said he was conscious but watching the fight back his arm went limp so he understood the ref calling it.

5 hours ago, Guy Bifkin said:

What are the chances of McKee switching to UFC? You would like to see someone with his record mixing it with the likes of Max Holloway or Volkanovski.

McKee was talking this week about wanting to mix it up with Volkanovski, Holloway and Ortega. He’s mentioned Holloway a few times as his dream fight. Can’t see how it happens anytime soon though. I’d have thought he’s locked in with Bellator pretty long term at the moment. Especially now he’s the champ and just won the Grand Prix.

Mads Burnell vs Emmanuel Sanchez was a cracking fight. Really high paced, non-stop and competitive. Burnell rightly got the judges nod but I thought the couple of 30-27s was off. No way Burnell won that first round. Great fight though and at least the right man won.

Usman Nurmagomedov with another win, moving to 13-0, and gets his first finish in Bellator.

76E78B8C-E826-44E0-AD0E-E6B593650D91.gif

Vicious little fuck. Still early days but he’s looking a right handful so far. I don’t see it working out in the long run but can you imagine if Usman and Islam Makhachev end up ruling the Lightweight division in both Bellator and the UFC? With Khabib in the corner of both? It’s a cool thought. I do think the ‘Coach Khabib’ talk is a bit premature though. It’s something that’s gonna need time to play out. The guys he’s cornering now were already under the wing of Abdulmanap so it’s hard to credit Khabib too much. No doubt he’s a huge asset to these guys though.

Not sure about the Mamedov vs Primus decision. Felt like Primus won myself but whatever. I was bored for most of it so my attention drifted at times.

Skimmed through the prelims but caught some good stuff.

Gadzhi Rabadanov wasn’t playing around. Never seen him before but he made quite a first impression.

1C913B78-9CF4-43E7-B800-97B58E091079.gif

His opponent Daniel Carey looked like Mikey Burnette from the early UFC days and TUF 4. He got fucking steamrolled. 

Khasan Magomedsharipov (Zabit’s little bro) looked really good. Similar style to his brother and got the finish. Only 20 as well. I’ll be keeping an eye out for his fights going forward.

And it was nice to see Georgi Karakhanyan picking up the submission win. Didn’t even notice he was on the card until he popped up on the stream.

Really strong show. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
On 8/1/2021 at 7:45 PM, Egg Shen said:

One thing was apparent early on, was just how big McKee was, guys a monster.

I watched a decent interview with McKee earlier and, among a lot of other things, he talked about his size for 145. Sounds like his days as a Featherweight are numbered. I think he’ll fight a few more times at 145 but it sounds like he’s not looking to make that cut for too much longer. Makes sense, as he gets older it’s only going to get harder to make that weight. But it does mean those Volkanovski and Holloway dream matches are even less likely. Unless they’re up at 155 too whenever (if ever) he moves over to the UFC. 

Whole interview’s well worth a watch.

Interesting that he’s talking about taking a Boxing match next then possibly doing the Pitbull rematch for the 155 belt. Not sure I wanna see him box. Not right now anyway when his momentum has never been higher in MMA.

I think he’s spot on with his shout for his old man possibly being ‘Coach Of The Year’ as well. Antonio McKee doesn’t really get enough credit when it comes to coaching. 

• Paid Members

The Showtime association might mean we see him box. They are putting on the Paul/Woodley card so they are all in on the crossover events.

In MMA i think a rematch with Pitbull for the 155lb belt is the way to to go, id love to see him fight at 145lb again but theres a lack of real interestint contenders. I dont think thats ever been done in a major US promotion. Then if McKee beats Pitbull again, big brother Pitbull can fight McKee for redemption, some pretty cool storylines at play.

Edited by Egg Shen