The General Motors Domestic Football Thread. 21/22 (NO SHIT BANTER)

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Unlike you to over exaggerate there, Baz.

Well a good few of them. (Chris Woods, Butcher, Gary Stevens, Trevor Stevon).. Might have been only those four actually

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Well a good few of them. (Chris Woods, Butcher, Gary Stevens, Trevor Stevon).. Might have been only those four actually

If youā€™re extending that to 1992 even Mark Hateley got another look.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Did he? I thought he'd have been well ignored by then.

Taylor tried EVERYONE looking for a partner or replacement for Lineker. On top of eventual choice Shearer, Sheringham who he was blind to for too long and bridesmaid Les Ferdinand, he had a look at Hateley, David Hirst, Brian Deaneā€¦

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Wasn't a top crop of English International strikers there.

I forgot Man City's David White got a cap too. Lee Chapman didn't, despite a bit of good form for 1992 league champions Leeds. If Cambridge had gone up, I'd have fancied Dublin would have had a look too but he was made to wait until 1998(!).

Mid 90s was an embarrassment of riches. Stan Collymore and Andy Cole barely had a look because of Shearer and Sheringham with Les and Robbie Fowler as backup.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Wrightyofficial What GIF by Ian Wright

Him too. That goal away to Poland in the doomed 92-93 qualifiers could have been the first of many but Taylor just didn't trust him.

• Paid Members

He did smash 4 against San Marino in that infamous game too. Shame he picked up injuries towards the end of the 97/98 season- him and Scholes worked really well together I thought.Ā 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

He did smash 4 against San Marino in that infamous game too. Shame he picked up injuries towards the end of the 97/98 season- him and Scholes worked really well together I thought.Ā 

Yes, I think it was the 4-0 against Moldova when everyone remembers Gascoigne getting teary eyed (Diana had just died), but Scholes was great (and scored) and Wright scored two. That was one of those times there was no Shearer or Sheringham so Wright and Les played.

The infamous San Marino game is the night Paul Ince scored his only two goals for England. InceĀ alsoĀ missed that Moldova game, it was a bit of a thrown together team. I think every qualifier in that campaign was missing someone crucial. Le Tissier starting against Italy at Wembley the obvious most notable "Huh??" selection.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Lee Chapman was accused of knocking about his wife allegedly. He was never getting near that squad. Before all the Gazza carry-on.

Not just ā€œhis wife.ā€ Debs. From before we all grew up and realised it was shit.