UFC 262: Oliveira vs Chandler - May 15 ??

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

36 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

I may be in the minority here but i love the Rogan/Anik/DC combination. I can fully understand why people dont like but i just like the enthususiasm of the tea..

You're not completely in the minority, I love their enthusiasm as well, they gel well together and it's nice to watch commentary where all 3 like each other and are generally happy to be in each others company. Maybe I am too used to watching pro wrestling but it's a nice change to not have one guy try and belittle the other.

I love Bisping on commentary but he's a bit guilty of being banterish (is that a word?) with Brendan or who ever he is with. With these 3 they all just gel and get on.

I also watch the shows sometimes with my housemates who are non UFC fans and they already pay more attention when Rogan is on commentary, I guess that's the Rogan effect.

My one main gripe with Rogan is he does tend to call the fight how he wants to see it. If his lesser favoured fighter is connecting 5 times with a jab he stays silent and then as soon as the fighter who he wants to win finally connects you can almost guarantee a reaction along the lines of "OH HE'S HURT HIM" then will spend the rest of the round talking about how the other guy is hurt and compromised.

• Paid Members

oh yeah, Rogan isnt without his faults. Case in point, the Lando Vannata fight, Rogan was fully erect for Lando. Anyonen would think we were watching the second coming. He mentioned him throughout the night too.

Also, the scores in that Lando/Grundy fight were shocking.

36 minutes ago, Zebra Kid Mark said:

My one main gripe with Rogan is he does tend to call the fight how he wants to see it. If his lesser favoured fighter is connecting 5 times with a jab he stays silent and then as soon as the fighter who he wants to win finally connects you can almost guarantee a reaction along the lines of "OH HE'S HURT HIM" then will spend the rest of the round talking about how the other guy is hurt and compromised.

He's been like that for as long as I can remember. 

• Paid Members

you're not wrong, thats a long and bumpy road he's been on, and you could argue that until the last 3 fights he had lost to every big name he ever faced. There's some sneaky good wins there but you also have to remember a big portion of his ufc run was at 145lb, since going up to 155lb he's 10-1.

• Paid Members

He wasn’t really given the opportunity to fight ranked guys until fairly recently. Partly his own doing obviously, losses back then stalled him progressing so he stayed at the same level for ages. He’s been on a hot streak for a while now but it was only after he beat Kevin Lee in a Fight Night main event that he was looked at as a real player in the division and given the opportunities to break through as a contender. He’s had to take the hard road unlike a lot of guys. The company was never exactly behind him. Even the way Dana spoke about him this past week, before and after the fight, you could read between the lines of what he was saying and tell the UFC brass never saw much in him or expected this rise. And like Ebb said, his losses were mostly at 145. 

Plus, it’s not like Chandler beat a long list of ranked names either. Before the Hooker win he’d done little of note in Bellator for a few years. And he was getting the fast track. 

2 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

He wasn’t really given the opportunity to fight ranked guys until fairly recently. Partly his own doing obviously, losses back then stalled him progressing so he stayed at the same level for ages. He’s been on a hot streak for a while now but it was only after he beat Kevin Lee in a Fight Night main event that he was looked at as a real player in the division and given the opportunities to break through as a contender. He’s had to take the hard road unlike a lot of guys. The company was never exactly behind him. Even the way Dana spoke about him this past week, before and after the fight, you could read between the lines of what he was saying and tell the UFC brass never saw much in him or expected this rise. And like Ebb said, his losses were mostly at 145. 

Plus, it’s not like Chandler beat a long list of ranked names either. Before the Hooker win he’d done little of note in Bellator for a few years. And he was getting the fast track. 

If you analyse his record, he had fought ranked guys before but he always lost to them.

Cowboy, Pettis, Edgar, Ricardo Lamas, Felder.

Also he has missed weight 4 times in his UFC career and unless you're Yoel Romero you rarely get rewarded with better fights when that happens.

It's only recently that he has gone on a run and those were all against mediocre guys and then he beat Kevin Lee and Ferguson and the Ferguson win is looking less and less impressive by the day.

I like the guy a lot but he's definitely not been held back by anyone. I do like him a lot though, I think maybe I'm just a bit bitter Chandler lost.

I can't argue about Chandler getting the fast track though, he definitely benefited from right place right time, but when the number 1 guy wants to fight some one else and everyone else in the top 6 is coming off a loss (bar Charlie), he was the logical guy to slot in the main event.

• Paid Members

Yeah I don’t think they held him back necessarily. Like I said, he lost a bunch of crucial fights against established names that, had he won, he’d have been hard to deny at least a title eliminator. That’s on him. As was the missing weight, which I’d forgotten about. But again, all this was years ago when he was at Featherweight. Since going back up to Lightweight he’s gone 10-1 with 9 finishes and got won POTN 8 times! Yet at 155, it’s only been his last 3 fights that really meant anything or were even positioned to make him feel like a somebody. He hasn’t been held back at 155 but it’s taken a while for them to finally give him meaningful fights. They do it a lot at 155 as well. I think a lot of it is just because it’s such a deep division that it’s generally harder to break out from the pack. We’ve seen it with Oliveira, Dariush, we’re seeing it now with Makhachev. If McGregor had beaten Poirier in January we probably wouldn’t have seen Oliveira get his shot anytime soon either. He’d have probably ended up facing all the killers in the mid to upper level of the division until he declined like Ferguson has. Without ever getting a crack at the proper belt. 

• Paid Members

Yeah if McGregor loses to Poirier he’ll probably angle for the Diaz trilogy fight or Masvidal or even Nick Diaz. All the top 155ers at that point are more risk than reward. I’d love to see McGregor vs Gaethje at some point though, regardless of upcoming results. 

• Paid Members

As the saying goes, Chandler and Oliveira packed a whole lot of living into that 320 seconds. I'd be more than happy to see a re-match down the line, should it ever materialise. We knew it was going to be exciting and it didn't disappoint. 

I think Oliveira defends against the winner of Poirier/McGregor next, whilst Chandler could face the loser of that fight or else Chandler/Gaethje. That one gives me the feels. 

Dariush really put it on Mad Tony. He had no answer for Beneil at all. It's sad to see Tony get reacted to as such a star during his entrance, at the time when he can no longer beat the very best. I'd like to see him be given a 'get well' fight, if such a thing can even exist at Lightweight. 

Edson Barboza and Shane Burgos was every bit as violent as you could expect. Really good to see Edson get the win here and hopefully he can push on and put a bit of a run together at 145.