Gimmicks in different eras

SkinnersHat

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

I've seen Umaga and Rusev mentioned as having the potential to be huge if they were around in the ate 70/80's. I don't agree though. In those days, it felt like every territory had their own "Samoan Savage" and evil foreigner gimmicks, and I think they would have both got lost in the shuffle. They stood out to us at the time as it had been a while since we had the Headshrinkers(for example) or an evil Russian to boo.

I’d happily lose Nikolai (God rest his soul) as a Hogan feud if Rusev was the evil pinko coming for the belt, and I’d trade Umaga for Kamala in the same period if “Samoan Bulldozer” is too close to “Ugandan Giant” although he’s a completely different proposition to Kamala or most of the other fatties Hogan worked in the 80s. I wouldn’t have a problem with Umaga sharing an environment with the end of the Wild Samoans run or start of the Islanders - Haku and Superfly coexisted for years without things feeling saturated.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, IronSheik said:

All the light heavyweight job guys from the attitude era would be booked on top in AEW in the present day.

Damning with faint praise.

Also - gimmicks?

Rico Constantino's flamboyant gimmick and athletic in-ring style from the 2000s in WWE would be booked on top in AEW present day.

The Hurricane gimmick would be massive in AEW present day. Great athletic performer with good charisma and a costume / mask which would be even more popular with AEWs fans and management.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Jackpot said:

The Legend Killer gimmick would of worked in almost any era. Every era had it's share of big names who a new young upstart could want to punt them out of the business.

Think it would've been less effective in the 70s and 80s, before and during wrestling getting closer to the mainstream. With the comparatively smaller scale and more fragmented nature of mass media at the time, the number of universally-familiar and popular wrestling stars would've been lower, I reckon. Someone like, say, Bruno Sammartino wouldn't have been seen as as big a legend in the south, for example.

• Paid Members

One I was pondering today. The higher Power gets revealed and its either Mr Brodie Lee, or it's white pants and Hawaiian shirt Max Cady inspired Bray Wyatt? 

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

One I was pondering today. The higher Power gets revealed and its either Mr Brodie Lee, or it's white pants and Hawaiian shirt Max Cady inspired Bray Wyatt? 

For me, it'd probably be SES or New Nexus CM Punk. 

On 4/10/2021 at 9:51 PM, SkinnersHat said:

The Mounties could definitely ride on some of the political division & difference in opinion about law enforcement in the States at the moment.

Umaga in the 80s is a great shout, kind of on a similar note would Yoko have been even more over in Hogans mid late 80s heyday, I think that could have been phenomenal.

Bam Bam’s unique look & unreal ability for a man of his size would fit right in at anytime. I could see him being an enforcer for a whole host of factions. Imagining him & Bossman as a corporation tag team has got me thinking if only.

Speaking of law enforcement. I'd find a big boss an gimmick an interesting prospect in 2021, esp if he went full heel and praised recent events w police in the US. Unsurprisingly I doubt it'd go down well with sponsors or networks though. Onr thing I miss about the attitude era... Vince didn't give a fuck. Though I'm not sure that wouldnt be cheap heat, it would certainly resemble Slaughter circa 90-91. 

I do believe using hot news items to bering characters to life isn't a bad idea. Though it's potentially polarising and contentious. I'd watch just to see what shit happens next. 

Edited by Michael_3165