TLC 2020

Onyx2

Yeah it all comes down to what exactly is recurring and why.

Stuff like the Rumble makes sense. You don't have to illogically book towards that, although you do start to get a lot more 'ooh look I can throw someone over the top rope!' in the lead up obviously. Plus the Rumble has so many different layers that it's always one of the highlights of the calendar for me. If it's vague concepts like KOTR or MITB then you don't really have to interrupt whatever you're doing in your weekly shows. I'm usually okay with Elimination Chamber as that's a last ditch desperate attempt for anyone before Mania and feels like a good way of giving them that, but you can argue that overuse does dilute the impact.

Survivor Series brand "rivalries" are annoying because they have to shoehorn that in in the middle of actual feuds and generally do a piss poor job at that.

War Games feels extremely contrived as a yearly thing because they desperately try to fit together a few blokes to take on Undisputed Era.

I would much prefer TLC and Hell in a Cell to be true blow-offs for feuds that need them, and actually I thought HIAC wasn't so bad this year as it fit in well with some really intense feuds like Roman/Jey and Sasha/Bayley but that was probably more luck than judgement. TLC was enjoyable but certainly wasn't built around special feud enders.

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, GeronimoJacksBeard said:

I'm not so sure on that to be honest. I don't think there's anything wrong with annual or seasonal shows, PPVs, gimmicks in general. Quite the opposite actually, i think wrestling could be worse off without them. They occur in real sports as well as just seasonal aspects in real life that provide people with things to look forward to and get excited about. Part of the fun of being a wrestling fan is the anticipation of where things are going, how and when the pay off comes. That can be created through good, logical booking anyway, but having certain constants isn't necessarily a bad thing. Like anything in wrestling it's down to how it's booked and the presentation.

I think the Rumble is the exception that proves the rule. While it's repetitive, it is eagerly anticpated and does create that seasonal feeling that generates anticipation. Other than SummerSlam becoming a big annual event, the rest of the year doesn't have that feel. It's just a mundane show after show lull starting after Mania and continuing almost entirely until the next Rumble.

Real sports don't compare. Real sports have turnover of players, coaches, owners, teams (if you're not in the US) that create anticipation season on season. That's the other huge, and much discussed, issue with WWE. The cast feels the same every year. There's little new hope.

• Paid Members
On 12/21/2020 at 1:20 PM, Supremo said:

Fucking Charlotte Flair. A character that can somehow vanish for six months and you still think, “oh for fuck’s sake, I’m sick of seeing her,” the moment her music hits for her big return.

That was precisely my feeling. It's just dawned on me that they'll probably use the fact she's got the tag title to have her all over all 3 shows. I realise the titles have been basically Raw-exclusive for a while now, but it's Charlotte Flair, so...

Natural Selection is amongst the worst finishers in history, too.

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Statto said:

That was precisely my feeling. It's just dawned on me that they'll probably use the fact she's got the tag title to have her all over all 3 shows. I realise the titles have been basically Raw-exclusive for a while now, but it's Charlotte Flair, so...

Tag Title defence already announced for Christmas Smackers (like Crackers, geddit?)

• Paid Members

I'm only after getting round to watching this today. I couldn't be bothered until now and was considering skipping it. The AJ Vs Drew match and Roman Vs KO were both very good. Bray Wyatt looks to be written off TV for a bit. Pretty successful then, all things considered.