The Springsteen Thread

Frankie Crisp

• 3 weeks later...

The big man has had to cancel the show tonight in Marseille due to vocal issues/doctor's orders. 

Basically, his voice is fucked and it became apparent at soundcheck that he couldn't suffer through a set. It makes Prague on Tuesday look tenuous, which is shit since I've got a mate flying over for it and we've got hotels booked etc. but I just hope Bruce is feeling food again soon (ideally as soon as Tuesday, but hey!). 

I know he's a marathon man and all, but doing regular three-hour shows at his age in all sorts of weather conditions and with that much travelling involved was bound to catch up with him eventually (especially after his health issues last year).

• Awards Moderator

I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s got a bad cold or something after Sunderland on Wednesday. Amazing show - Atlantic City! Racing In The Street! - but the weather was atrocious, and he was out in it way more than I thought he’d be.

0937661D-92B3-4D05-8B31-F8D2BDEB8951.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Put a coat on Bruce, you lunatic! Glad you had a good time, Harmy. Had a couple of mates at the show who said it was a belter despite the weather - and one of them losing their wallet (which has since been found and turned in). 

And yeah, hopefully just a bad cold but I dunno. Bad feeling they'll also postpone the Prague show.

UPDATE: the show in Prague is postponed, as are the two scheduled for the San Siro after it. Gutted, but what can you do?

Edited by SaitoRyo
Breaking Bruce Update

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

Went to Wembley on Thursday and bloody hell, he never ceases to amaze me. I’m loving that he’s mixing up the set list on this half of the tour, but I never imagined I’d get to see (electric) Reason to Believe, Youngstown and Racing in the Street live, let alone on the same night. The latter of those nearly broke me when the opening keys hit.

He lit the place up as always, and Nils seemed to be on a different level on the night. Jake was on form and must always feel like he’s in a surreal dream when he’s in front of so many people in lieu of the Big Man being there.

The night was made even more special as I went with my Dad and best mate, who both had the time of their lives. My old man can’t do 3+ hours of standing these days, but being up in the stands was a different kind of joy, seeing the masses below us taking it all in.

IMG_8211.thumb.jpeg.24923bb09bf3fe7997bf5e1d15149333.jpeg

IMG_8162.thumb.jpeg.6d642df2168cfb39ce8fe06a8d656cc2.jpeg

IMG_8271.thumb.jpeg.0c63111438eaf10f55b76341afe802e0.jpeg

He’s the very best to ever do it.

• Awards Moderator

I know I’ve been twice this tour so have no right to be jealous - but I’m so jealous! Sounds like an amazing set - Racing In The Street was stunning at Sunderland. The Professor is such a key part of the whole sound on so many songs. Love that Long Walk Home has started making its way in on the recent dates, would have been great to hear that live in the current political environment.
Tell us more @Frankie Crisp!

• Awards Moderator
12 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I know I’ve been twice this tour so have no right to be jealous - but I’m so jealous! Sounds like an amazing set - Racing In The Street was stunning at Sunderland. The Professor is such a key part of the whole sound on so many songs. Love that Long Walk Home has started making its way in on the recent dates, would have been great to hear that live in the current political environment.
Tell us more @Frankie Crisp!

I’m not going to pretend I’m not insanely jealous of how close to the front you’ve been over recent tours, so let’s call it even!

The set really was amazing. As you suggest, Long Walk Home was beautiful to witness and it was the last of a four-song political run after Reason to Believe, Atlantic City and Youngstown so I was full of ideological gusto when it finished.

He chucked in Shuffle and Nightshift after those - probably to give us and him a bit of a blow from the emotions - but then hit us with Racing in the Street so I was absolutely caught off guard. Following that with Last Man Standing (with its achingly beautiful pre-amble) and Backstreets nearly resulted in me booking the month off work to recover.

We also had the most wonderful Ferris Bueller Twist & Shout moment at the end where nearly everyone nearby stood up and danced badly.

I know he’s been doing it for a while, but ending on I’ll See You In My Dreams gets me every single time. My best mate’s little Staffie died suddenly last year and he’s struggled with the loss ever since, so this caused a tsunami of emotions for the poor bloke, but he was glad of it as we walked out as it made the closing minutes more special.

I think that epitomises what Bruce does - brings out every feeling in every fan, each meaning something different to each one.

I was at Wembley on Thursday. It was my fourth time seeing Bruce over the years and I left at the end of the night saying it is not just a gig but an experience.

Each time I have seen him with my Dad who is now 71 and he loved it just as much as the first time.

Racing In The Street was an absolute joy and a highlight. The speech about family and friends no longer being there and going into Last Man Standing was very poignant.

I know there is rumours that next year their will be another few dates, possibly a farewell tour - with the 50th anniversary of Born To Run, I am hoping that the album is played in its entirety as well as a greatest hits and rarities set.

Saw my Dad earlier today and we both passed comment about being gutted we didn’t have tickets for last night. He also had heard the rumours about a tour next year and his exact words were “I think next year will be my last my last time seeing him play live”.

Edited by Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, Frankie Crisp said:

He chucked in Shuffle and Nightshift after those - probably to give us and him a bit of a blow from the emotions - but then hit us with Racing in the Street so I was absolutely caught off guard. Following that with Last Man Standing (with its achingly beautiful pre-amble) and Backstreets nearly resulted in me booking the month off work to recover.

Last Man Standing into Backstreets is the bit that always gets me. Perfection.

It’s been nice seeing Nightshift get more and more love over the past two tours, going from most people being not that fussed to people singing along to it. It’s a great song.

• 1 month later...