Living abroad

Your Fight Site

I should also mention that here in the Czech Republic, I'm basically classed as 'self-employed' and working on a trade licence, even though I have a full-time contract with the UK organisation I work for. 

So I basically 'invoice' the company, they PayPal me the wages and then I do the taxes here myself.

17 hours ago, AndiRush said:

I seen something the other day about Barbados offering 2 year remote worker visas for Brits wanting out due to covid. 

UPDATE

Scrap that, complete lies from myself, it was Bermuda offering the visas. Here's the link

https://www.gotobermuda.com/workfrombermuda?gclid=CjwKCAjwwab7BRBAEiwAapqpTDIX4cWrZBicTz4I41SkqFsdJV7YJudzrtyXzcdUlmi052VHwz6WuxoCHVEQAvD_BwE

Estonia are doing something similar. I'm taking advantage of it and heading there just before Christmas.

1 minute ago, Tommy! said:

Brits go over there taking local jobs and don't even learn the bloody language. 

They should send them all back, out means out, et cetera.

Ironically, one of the conditions of the visa is that the applicant must be working with clients based outside of Estonia, meaning local jobs aren't affected.

They've played a blinder to be fair. Welcome in someone being paid by a non-Estonian company, yet enjoy the benefits of job generation such as money being spent in the local economy and even tax being paid in Estonia.

Well following a long and emotional conversation today Mrs Blog and myself think we are going to make a go of moving to Australia. 

Mrs Blog is a doctor so she is going to sign up with a recruitment agency who help UK doctors get jobs in Aus, she will then get a visa through work for us all. 

I am a teaching assistant with experience in SEN so I need to find out if my qualification translates to Aus schools. I can always retrain when there however. 

We are very drawn to the Sunshine Coast in Queensland, North of Brisbane, good place for family, beach and national parks on the door step. 

Does anyone have any advice on making the move? Prices, Time etc. We are doing our own research obviously but if anyone has already done it that would be a great help. 

The biggest negative for me is having to fly the dogs over. It will break my heart putting them through that. My wife is worried about her parents but I have a pretty poor relationship with my family. 

9 minutes ago, Joe Blog said:

Well following a long and emotional conversation today Mrs Blog and myself think we are going to make a go of moving to Australia. 

Mrs Blog is a doctor so she is going to sign up with a recruitment agency who help UK doctors get jobs in Aus, she will then get a visa through work for us all. 

I am a teaching assistant with experience in SEN so I need to find out if my qualification translates to Aus schools. I can always retrain when there however. 

We are very drawn to the Sunshine Coast in Queensland, North of Brisbane, good place for family, beach and national parks on the door step. 

Does anyone have any advice on making the move? Prices, Time etc. We are doing our own research obviously but if anyone has already done it that would be a great help. 

The biggest negative for me is having to fly the dogs over. It will break my heart putting them through that. My wife is worried about her parents but I have a pretty poor relationship with my family. 

I'm not all that clued up on Australia, but I'm assuming you mean to go through with this when they lift the ban on inbound travel? It's only Australian citizens and returning permanent residents who can get into Australia at the moment, isn't it?

Just now, David said:

I'm not all that clued up on Australia, but I'm assuming you mean to go through with this when they lift the ban on inbound travel? It's only Australian citizens and returning permanent residents who can get into Australia at the moment, isn't it?

Oh yeah it would be after the ban, it can take a good few months between applying for visas etc and actually getting them. 

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the bump. 

My wife got offered a job in Australia today once she completes her GP training, 3 years and we are off. Going to do all the visa's etc ourselves as her soon to be employer has said they will help us with it all. 

I am honestly over the moon. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Joe Blog said:

Sorry for the bump. 

My wife got offered a job in Australia today once she completes her GP training, 3 years and we are off. Going to do all the visa's etc ourselves as her soon to be employer has said they will help us with it all. 

I am honestly over the moon. 

Congratulations, man. Made up for you.

Whereabouts in Oz?

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Joe Blog said:

Adelaide, well Southern Australia if we are being pedantic but yeah about 40 minutes from Adelaide itself. 

Thank you so much mate. 

I've heard a lot about Adelaide; apparently it's a beautiful old city, lots of old-style colonial architecture. Sounds nice!